Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Lets Define what a "Street Car" is..

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive seen at least 3 people mention Full interior, with some saying of them saying ok rear seat delete. I will add "Full Interior" with rear seat delete ok.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Just make a ******* flow chart.
Is it faster than me? No. Street car. Yes. Race car. It's that simple.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sw07gt
Just make a ******* flow chart.
Is it faster than me? No. Street car. Yes. Race car. It's that simple.
this
Old 05-14-2014, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Everyone has there own opinion on what is and what isn't a true street car, my opinion is has long has it's tagged and insured I could car less what it has or what it looks like, has long has it is legal when it or if that car ever gets pulled over for a traffic offense and can prove it has registration and insurance and up to date tags. I could care less if you drive it some times to the track or trailer it.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sw07gt
The guys on street outlaws don't claim to have street cars. Someone answer me this question, what is a street car if it goes 14s? What's a street car if it goes 9's?
I dont think we are arguing exactly how fast a street car should be. But more as what kind of modifications are acceptable to qualify it as a street car. Perfect example is MM . The guy was going 8.49s with his TA!
Old 05-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Speed definitely comes into play. Anyone who has ever built or owned anything approaching the single digit range will understand that the faster you go the more requirements your car has to be a street car. 12 second car with no back seat or AC, street car. 9 second with no back seat or AC, full blown god damn race car. If a 150 whp, 1995 Honda Civic with AC, no interior is a street car then that ***** up everyone's definition. But I guarantee no one races a gutted D series civic and goes around bragging to their buddies about beating a race car.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll say it again, there is no real definition of street car vs. race car. For every argument that a certain car is a "racecar", there is a counter-argument that it is not. People are looking for an answer to a concept but the concept differs per person and their experiences. This discussion is futile and has no end.

This question is almost as eluding as what defines "cam-only" in the GM world.

Last edited by MACHXLR8; 05-14-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This has to be borderline the dumbest thread in the srk section... I cant beliebe (ha!) I contributed to it, even tho I fully expected to be called a race truck for having no interior and a roll cage with lexan....
Old 05-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

That is pretty comical. Whenever I see these threads, they are a lot like the "create a new drag racing class" threads. Basically some people want to create a classification that fits their own car. And, they typically want everyone else to agree with their rules that just happen to perfectly fit their own car.

Registered and insured? Affirmative. I think that would definitely be an absolute for all actual street driven cars.

15k miles? I don't even drive my daily driver that many miles a year. LOL Not to mention, it would take a minimum of 1 years to verify that. LOL

Working lights? Affirmative. And, all of the other safety equipment that is required by law. Nobody could argue with that.

Full interior? Sure. Why not? And, I think some racing classes for so called street cars already have this as a requirement.

Tires are PERFORMANCE SUMMER OR ALL SEASON TIRES? This is a deal breaker for any car that makes any real power that is not all wheel drive. It might as well be a drifting class. Not only would it be a safety issue, but this classification would just be dominated by Nissan GTRs and such.

A/C? Only if the car came originally equipped from the factory with A/C could you effectively make this argument. My car did not have it. How about a Camaro 1LE that did not come with it? Are we supposed to install and unwanted accessory on our cars that did not come with A/C? Hell, how about curb feelers and a rear back up camera?

Car could be driven rain or snow? Not a good stipulation. How do you enforce it? Go find some rain or snow and make them demonstrate it? Or, some lame argument about how good some guy speculates your car might be in rain or snow? I choose not to drive my car in inclement weather if I can avoid it. I think many others do too.

Here are few rules that I think are universal:
  • Car must meet prevailing equipment and safety rules of law. (This includes tires)
  • Car must be licensed and insured to the guidelines of the law.

That is about it as far as being able to call it a street car. I think Monte Smith said it best. I am paraphrasing here: "A street car is any car that you are willing to suffer driving on the street".

Now, if you wanted to say: "lets create some rules for a class of racing that fits a certain criteria of which that this said group of racers agrees means it is a true street car" then, this discussion would be worth having. In fact, it could be fun to create this class.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say anything you could pull into a shop with and get inspected without having to bribe the guy a million bucks. Having the o2's deleted is okay, most shops will just plug in the obd2 and if it say pass, there cool with it. But if it's cramming like a NHRA monster with N2O lines all over the place and no seats, there like "Hell no". Same with me.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:01 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

If you have to drive 35mph in the rain, on the highway, it's a racecar.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mongoose350
I would say anything you could pull into a shop with and get inspected without having to bribe the guy a million bucks. Having the o2's deleted is okay, most shops will just plug in the obd2 and if it say pass, there cool with it. But if it's cramming like a NHRA monster with N2O lines all over the place and no seats, there like "Hell no". Same with me.
Not all states have inspections.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
I'll say it again, there is no real definition of street car vs. race car. For every argument that a certain car is a "racecar", there is a counter-argument that it is not. People are looking for an answer to a concept but the concept differs per person and their experiences. This discussion is futile and has no end.

This question is almost as eluding as what defines "cam-only" in the GM world.
Yeah, I agree with this right here. I've seen some *** ugly women that guys think are hot. I bet their definition of what a street car is is different than mine too.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by audacious nick
If you have to drive 35mph in the rain, on the highway, it's a racecar.
So does that mean that my neighbor's son's Ford Focus with worn out bald tires is a racecar? I can't wait to tell him. He is going to be really excited!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

IMO, tags and insurance, lights, and able to cruise at least 20 miles. I would argue pump gas should be a requirement as should DOT tires but I'm sure plenty would disagree there.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedtigger
So does that mean that my neighbor's son's Ford Focus with worn out bald tires is a racecar? I can't wait to tell him. He is going to be really excited!
THIS! LMAO. My little brother who is too poor/cheap to replace the tires on his Metro has now been upgraded to racecar status!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
IMO, tags and insurance, lights, and able to cruise at least 20 miles. I would argue pump gas should be a requirement as should DOT tires but I'm sure plenty would disagree there.
I agree fully. Kind of hard to say something is a true street car if it is not legal for the road (DOT tires). Also, I think pump gas is a perfectly reasonable stipulation but there will be the guys that say they can get E85 or racing fuel out of the pump locally where they live.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mongoose350
this is why I open the cutout when exiting the emissions facility. You could have a 1000whp bruiser that sounds as quiet as a prius with the right exhaust. I love running into the loudmouth exhaust guys on the street in my quiet street car.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:28 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Error 404: sarcasm not detected.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Teching In

LOL, nope. But then again he probably drives 15k or more miles a year sooooooo....... ccccccommbbooo breaker.

Quick Reply: Lets Define what a "Street Car" is..