Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2 LS1 Irocs vs. Coyote and Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2 LS1 Irocs vs. Coyote and Cobra

Buddies of mine in LS1 Iroc's showed up and an svt meet. Were able to get some good friendly runs in Mexico after the meet. No drama no bs just good clean fun.

2 LSx 3rd gens vs Coyote 5 0 and 04 Cobra
Old 06-03-2014, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice runs! The LS third gens were running hard. If the white car cleaned up his 3-4 a bit he would have pulled it out a bit more convincingly. The cobra sounds mean.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

He went from 5.0 TPI with an auto to learning how to drive stick in cammed LS1. The 2-3 shift looked spot on but it sounds like it's spinning and loses ground. Still a great race

What kind of power does a pullied/ported blower Cobra put down?
Old 06-03-2014, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Yep, guy in the white iroc definitely needs some practice. Good runs!
Old 06-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

White car runs good. If he's just learning how to drive a manual he's not doin too bad at all. Nice runs.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
If its fully ported with 14-16 PSI itl make ~480WHP give or take.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

He went from 5.0 TPI with an auto to learning how to drive stick in cammed LS1. The 2-3 shift looked spot on but it sounds like it's spinning and loses ground. Still a great race

For the first run, 480-500 rwhp. For the second run, 440-450 rwhp.

Good old heatons for the win. If he didn't have headers or any supporting mods, it's most likely around 470ish. Local guy with full bolt ons, pulley, and tune is making 470 with a non ported setup, but I didn't think porting them made a huge difference. Maybe 10-15 rwhp.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice races !!
Old 06-03-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

There is a home ported eaton car here with just pulleys and headers making 475 and a steggy stage 7 making 510.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
For the first run, 480-500 rwhp. For the second run, 440-450 rwhp.

Good old heatons for the win. If he didn't have headers or any supporting mods, it's most likely around 470ish. Local guy with full bolt ons, pulley, and tune is making 470 with a non ported setup, but I didn't think porting them made a huge difference. Maybe 10-15 rwhp.
Its sadly true. Obviously not quite that much of a drop. But especially with DIG runs or time to sit around after a pull those things get hot quick. Believe it or not idling is the worst for PD blowers. As long as the car stays rolling and fresh air stays on the heat exchanger it can string pulls together and not loose too much ignition timing.

Porting does improve power but theres some give and take there. The Cobra blower is a Gen IV Eaton M90 1.8L blower. Its a small blower to start with and once heavily ported has lost even more mass. It pulls more PSI but will also heatsoak faster because it has less mass. And it will only make more boost to an extent. Once your over-spinning it or asking it to do too much with its volume it really doesn't matter. The ECU will just keep yanking ignition timing to keep the motor alive. A lot of Cobra guys get so far into porting and over-spinning their Eaton M90s that its like robbing peter to pay paul. They get stage 27 Posi ports and wonder why they only gained 4.5 HP.

Personally I would never modify an 03 Cobra Eaton past putting a smaller pulley on it to run the max safe PSI(14-16 PSI). From there you have two options. If your into the car for the short run you are better off buying the major support bolt-ons such as Long Tubes/exhaust + CAI + Gears. This way you will gain just as much power/speed BUT that extra money can also go towards a different FI setup down the road as opposed to dumping it into a mediocre at best supercharger. If you really wanna maximize the eaton setup you are MUCH better off spraying a 150 shot than porting it to the moon. Nicknamed "Spraytons".....this setup can actually run really strong and would make a great strip car. Plenty of spraytons in the 10s with a 100% stock Eaton M90.

If you are into the car for the long run you are best off to pulley the blower to 14 PSI, get basic bolt ons and then start saving your money for better FI. This means 2.8L+ KB/Big Whipple/Turbo or if you wanna be cute and different a Procharger F1A or something.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've personally never seen much of a difference between ported and non ported setups. It's all in the tune and the tastefulness of the mods to the car. The local guy here has probably the strongest running eaton car around, and it's a stock un-ported blower. He just shifts it like a boss and the car is set up awesome. Another local guy has a killer chiller on his eaton car and it honestly seems to make the thing run pretty damn consistently with minimal timing pull, if any. Not sure how I'd feel about spinning my AC compressor during WOT, but if it works, it works. You can make an eaton car run damn good, but too many are just a pulley and intake and they range between 440-480 rwhp based on the weather, heat soak, etc.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
I've personally never seen much of a difference between ported and non ported setups. It's all in the tune and the tastefulness of the mods to the car. The local guy here has probably the strongest running eaton car around, and it's a stock un-ported blower. He just shifts it like a boss and the car is set up awesome. Another local guy has a killer chiller on his eaton car and it honestly seems to make the thing run pretty damn consistently with minimal timing pull, if any. Not sure how I'd feel about spinning my AC compressor during WOT, but if it works, it works. You can make an eaton car run damn good, but too many are just a pulley and intake and they range between 440-480 rwhp based on the weather, heat soak, etc.
I got a killer chiller I'm installing this weekend. In cobras the ac compressor turns off during WOT so it's not spinning. But the fluid will stay. Nice and cold for a good 10-12 sec run. It's a pretty cool system.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

I showed up to this meet after you guys had left. Some clean cars.and good guys. Will be at the next one forsure.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I wonder if his clutch is bad causing his shifts to be fucked up?

Good runs!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Iliac
Its sadly true. Obviously not quite that much of a drop. But especially with DIG runs or time to sit around after a pull those things get hot quick. Believe it or not idling is the worst for PD blowers. As long as the car stays rolling and fresh air stays on the heat exchanger it can string pulls together and not loose too much ignition timing.

Porting does improve power but theres some give and take there. The Cobra blower is a Gen IV Eaton M90 1.8L blower. Its a small blower to start with and once heavily ported has lost even more mass. It pulls more PSI but will also heatsoak faster because it has less mass. And it will only make more boost to an extent. Once your over-spinning it or asking it to do too much with its volume it really doesn't matter. The ECU will just keep yanking ignition timing to keep the motor alive. A lot of Cobra guys get so far into porting and over-spinning their Eaton M90s that its like robbing peter to pay paul. They get stage 27 Posi ports and wonder why they only gained 4.5 HP.

Personally I would never modify an 03 Cobra Eaton past putting a smaller pulley on it to run the max safe PSI(14-16 PSI). From there you have two options. If your into the car for the short run you are better off buying the major support bolt-ons such as Long Tubes/exhaust + CAI + Gears. This way you will gain just as much power/speed BUT that extra money can also go towards a different FI setup down the road as opposed to dumping it into a mediocre at best supercharger. If you really wanna maximize the eaton setup you are MUCH better off spraying a 150 shot than porting it to the moon. Nicknamed "Spraytons".....this setup can actually run really strong and would make a great strip car. Plenty of spraytons in the 10s with a 100% stock Eaton M90.
If you are into the car for the long run you are best off to pulley the blower to 14 PSI, get basic bolt ons and then start saving your money for better FI. This means 2.8L+ KB/Big Whipple/Turbo or if you wanna be cute and different a Procharger F1A or something.
Smh it's a m112 not a 90.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Iliac

So much misinformation in this post it's sickning....first off cobras didn't come with a M90.... Real life results I picked up 7 mph from going to a pullied eaton to a ported eaton. A big blower like that is pretty expensive and usually out of most peoples range when you can find ported blowers cheap every where. Porting the blower causes more heat soak? You mean some how removing material makes it hold more heat? Wtf ?! Is the blower probably the worst possible one for the car ? Yes it is indeed, but plently or ported eaton cars with SRA that are well thought out going 10s
Old 06-04-2014, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2003Cobro
I got a killer chiller I'm installing this weekend. In cobras the ac compressor turns off during WOT so it's not spinning. But the fluid will stay. Nice and cold for a good 10-12 sec run. It's a pretty cool system.
You ever ice your tank then feel it after a run? ***** pretty warm. This mod isn't what it's cracked up to be IMO unless you use it in conjugation of a big ice tank in the trunk
Old 06-04-2014, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003Cobro
I have it on my Foxbody with an aftercooler. I love it.

Originally Posted by Lawhead
So much misinformation in this post it's sickning....first off cobras didn't come with a M90.... Real life results I picked up 7 mph from going to a pullied eaton to a ported eaton. A big blower like that is pretty expensive and usually out of most peoples range when you can find ported blowers cheap every where. Porting the blower causes more heat soak? You mean some how removing material makes it hold more heat? Wtf ?! Is the blower probably the worst possible one for the car ? Yes it is indeed, but plently or ported eaton cars with SRA that are well thought out going 10s
I have seen guys gain more than that. Its a worthwhile mod.

Originally Posted by Lawhead
You ever ice your tank then feel it after a run? ***** pretty warm. This mod isn't what it's cracked up to be IMO unless you use it in conjugation of a big ice tank in the trunk
Works great here on my fox with an aftercooler. I can run more timing with it on pump than I could with meth and aftercooler. Running around in OC in stop and go traffic it worked great. The older kits had a lot of problems with leaking. Lots of Cobras in MD run it
Old 06-04-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I wonder if his clutch is bad causing his shifts to be fucked up?

Good runs!
Might be. It has an LS7 clutch which is a decent clutch specially when learning how to drive stick but it does slip. It also has 3.23 rear end so that's not helping him. Monster stage 3 and a 12 bolt with 3.73 are in order!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Might be. It has an LS7 clutch which is a decent clutch specially when learning how to drive stick but it does slip. It also has 3.23 rear end so that's not helping him. Monster stage 3 and a 12 bolt with 3.73 are in order!
How would a 3.42 do?

Quick Reply: 2 LS1 Irocs vs. Coyote and Cobra