Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Everybody runs 10's!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Everybody runs 10's!!!!

So I'm at O'reillys picking up a new AC compressor and I'm talking to the guy at the counter about my crappy 13.4 1/4 times. The guys at this store know me, I buy all my stuff from them.

Well, there's a new guy there and two other people in the store.

The guy at the counter with the new employee said he had a car that put down a 10.33 ET, and the guy behind the counter said he had an old Ford something or another with a 460 that ran 10.8's in the 1/4. Then the other guy in line said he had an SRT4 that would run 10's too! Holy crap, everyone had a 10 second car. All of them HAD a 10 second car though....

Now, I'm not saying it's not possible. But seriously, these guys wouldn't know what it takes to get a car into the 10's. They all talked about horsepower (570hp, blah blah blah). I mentioned needing at least drag radials and they looked at me like I was retarded with my stupid 13.4 second (at 6100ft DA) Camaro.

Wow, I've never seen so much ignorance in one place. I was very polite to them and got invited to the car meet on Saturday to check out the other rides. I might check it out, not sure if it's my kinda crowd though. Not too many of my friends here are into cars like I am though.

Typical?
Old 07-03-2014, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hrcslam
So I'm at O'reillys picking up a new AC compressor and I'm talking to the guy at the counter about my crappy 13.4 1/4 times. The guys at this store know me, I buy all my stuff from them.

Well, there's a new guy there and two other people in the store.

The guy at the counter with the new employee said he had a car that put down a 10.33 ET, and the guy behind the counter said he had an old Ford something or another with a 460 that ran 10.8's in the 1/4. Then the other guy in line said he had an SRT4 that would run 10's too! Holy crap, everyone had a 10 second car. All of them HAD a 10 second car though....

Now, I'm not saying it's not possible. But seriously, these guys wouldn't know what it takes to get a car into the 10's. They all talked about horsepower (570hp, blah blah blah). I mentioned needing at least drag radials and they looked at me like I was retarded with my stupid 13.4 second (at 6100ft DA) Camaro.

Wow, I've never seen so much ignorance in one place. I was very polite to them and got invited to the car meet on Saturday to check out the other rides. I might check it out, not sure if it's my kinda crowd though. Not too many of my friends here are into cars like I am though.

Typical?
Yup ignorance everywhere!

Actually they BS everyone, you just knew enough to notice!

They fool average people, that and the fact 99% of people don't actually know how fast 10 seconds in the 1/4 is..
Old 07-03-2014, 05:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would believe it if it were 1/8th. it's not uncommon to run 10's but to also work at orielly making $8/hour is highly unlikely.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Funny thing was I was thinking 1/8 mile too. LOL.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Impossible, no.. plausible doubtful
Old 07-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCott5
Impossible, no.. plausible doubtful
^^This. The ratio of guys who claim 11 second or better rides and those who actually show enough know how to legitimately do it is probably 20 to 1. It's very obvious once you start to question the specifics of it, like what heads/cam, race weight, 60' times, what type of cage, etc. Most of the bullshitters couldn't talk there way out of a paper bag and try there best to end the conversation quick. Seen that happen so many times...
Old 07-03-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
^^This. The ratio of guys who claim 11 second or better rides and those who actually show enough know how to legitimately do it is probably 20 to 1. It's very obvious once you start to question the specifics of it, like what heads/cam, race weight, 60' times, what type of cage, etc. Most of the bullshitters couldn't talk there way out of a paper bag and try there best to end the conversation quick. Seen that happen so many times...
Just reminds me of Fast and Furious. 10 second FWD cars on NOS and street tires. Riiiiight......
Old 07-03-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

key word O'reillys
Old 07-03-2014, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice kill bro

Not
Old 07-03-2014, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Wasn't sure where else to put this. This section seemed appropriate given the amount of smack talk that goes on here.

Case in point....

Originally Posted by crazyelf
Nice kill bro

Not
Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Wasn't sure where else to put this. This section seemed appropriate given the amount of smack talk that goes on here.

Case in point....

I wouldn't worry about a Elf
Old 07-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever since the first F&F, the words "10 second car" is such a common cliché' especially by people who know absolutely nothing about cars or what it takes for one to run 10s in the 1/4. LOL
Old 07-03-2014, 08:01 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
Ever since the first F&F, the words "10 second car" is such a common cliché' especially by people who know absolutely nothing about cars or what it takes for one to run 10s in the 1/4. LOL
The recipe is easy to run 10s.

Take 1 hacked up and gutted catfish + motor swap + FP the tranny + 9 inch rear

And there you have it, an easy 10s car..

..oh wait..

..oh ****!

Note: I'm kidding around. I have no doubt that's a 10s car on a proper tire and driver.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by madmike9396

I wouldn't worry about a Elf
But this elf is crazy.....10 second kind of crazy
Old 07-03-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crazyelf
But this elf is crazy.....10 second kind of crazy
LOL.

What part of AZ you in?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

10's aint **** yo! Never mind the GT-r and Bugatti Veyron 0-60 in less than 3 seconds and still don't hit 10's.

Originally Posted by islander033
The recipe is easy to run 10s.

Take 1 hacked up and gutted catfish + motor swap + FP the tranny + 9 inch rear

And there you have it, an easy 10s car..

..oh wait..

..oh ****!

Note: I'm kidding around. I have no doubt that's a 10s car on a proper tire and driver.
Tires? ****, I heard this Neon did 10's here, why you worried about tires. Get Dat boost! Straight Street yo!

The guy with the Neon sounded like he never been to the track too. But it was a 10 second car.....
Old 07-03-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burken01
Yup ignorance everywhere!

Actually they BS everyone, you just knew enough to notice!

They fool average people, that and the fact 99% of people don't actually know how fast 10 seconds in the 1/4 is..
Truth. I ask 'what'd you 60' and I'll get a confused look and then I know... right at that moment... you were full of ****. LOL

Originally Posted by willizm
I would believe it if it were 1/8th. it's not uncommon to run 10's but to also work at orielly making $8/hour is highly unlikely.
Truth. Just like this, remember...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/17876777-post25079.html

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Truth. Look at the Crow thread, and you'll see every one in there is decently knowledgeable on setups and requirements for their own cars and others as well. Opinions vary, but there are certain things everyone agrees with.

Thats the problem.

10's aint **** yo! Never mind the GT-r and Bugatti Veyron 0-60 in less than 3 seconds and still don't hit 10's.

Tires? ****, I heard this Neon did 10's here, why you worried about tires. Get Dat boost! Straight Street yo!

The guy with the Neon sounded like he never been to the track too. But it was a 10 second car.....
Truth.
The guys at the shop near me are like "you don't run 10s, there was a car here that runs 10s, blah blah"... and even that is sad. The inability to determine what a car should and shouldn't run just by its setup. I look at it... its a civic with purple strut bar, Injen hot air intake, headers, full interior... and I'm laughing like 'this isn't going to run 10s... this'll be happy to run 15s. LOL'

The last "10 second car" I ran from the guys at the shop...

and then they tried to tell me that a fully stock foxbody 5.0 would kill me in the 1/4... I don't know where they find their info from, or gauge performance with...

Any time someone "runs 10s" i always invite them to run or to the track... and they ALWAYS deny it. Everyone and their mother HAD (past tense) a 10 second car. Its just bullshit people spout to make themselves feel better about their 16+ second cars.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by odthetruth
Truth. I ask 'what'd you 60' and I'll get a confused look and then I know... right at that moment... you were full of ****. LOL

Truth. Just like this, remember...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/17876777-post25079.html

Truth. Look at the Crow thread, and you'll see every one in there is decently knowledgeable on setups and requirements for their own cars and others as well. Opinions vary, but there are certain things everyone agrees with.

Thats the problem.

Truth.
The guys at the shop near me are like "you don't run 10s, there was a car here that runs 10s, blah blah"... and even that is sad. The inability to determine what a car should and shouldn't run just by its setup. I look at it... its a civic with purple strut bar, Injen hot air intake, headers, full interior... and I'm laughing like 'this isn't going to run 10s... this'll be happy to run 15s. LOL'

The last "10 second car" I ran from the guys at the shop...
[STREET] - 2006 CTS-V vs 1976 Camaro - YouTube

and then they tried to tell me that a fully stock foxbody 5.0 would kill me in the 1/4... I don't know where they find their info from, or gauge performance with...

Any time someone "runs 10s" i always invite them to run or to the track... and they ALWAYS deny it. Everyone and their mother HAD (past tense) a 10 second car. Its just bullshit people spout to make themselves feel better about their 16+ second cars.
Hahahaha, or they'll be like "damn, you must run 9's!". Horrible.

There was a Civic at the track last time I went. Slicks and all, I respect this guy, he was doing it NOT ricer! He cut a 2.084 60' time to a 14.364 @ 95.58. Can't get ET and MPH much closer than that. Damn good for a Civic at 6140DA too. Bet he looks at those guys that HAD 10 second cars the same way we do too.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

LOL.

What part of AZ you in?
Mesa/tempe area. You in az?
Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Tucson. You part of AZFBA?

Quick Reply: Everybody runs 10's!!!!