Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Thirdgen lt1 vs Cadillac Eldorado

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 02:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by OVA1
Man they're great cars... Spoil the hell out of ya. Long story, but I drove an STS for a week, a few years after they came out; wanna say mid 90s... MAN! I fell head over heels in love with that car. It was a loaner from the Caddy Dealer who'd screwed my Deville up and was waiting on parts, and who was also trying to up-sell me. And brother, if I'd had two nickels to rub together I'd have done it in a second.

My wife shut the deal down, knowing how much I loved it and that I was probably going to sell my soul to buy it, she says: "Well, if you think it's the smart thing to do, go ahead... ."

So the next day I'm sittin' there... he's got the loan papers drawn up... the payment was $875/mo... (My house payment was $725)... and all I had to do was sign it and she was MINE! I was so in love with that car, $875/month was actually 'makin' sense'.

Then... inexplicably... as I am spoolin' up the arm muscles to raise it to sign ... my wife's voice "If you think it's the smart thing to do..." came rattlin' in and the fever broke... I tossed the keys on the table, picked up the keys to my Deville and left.

The feelin' of relief that came over me when I got into my car was not to be believed... My Deville was only a few years old and I loved THAT car.

(That guy called me later that day ALL KIND of pissed off about how many miles I put on the STS... I didn't have to heart to tell him that MOST of those miles were WOT... .)
Yeah, $875 a month is tough to sign. I was driving a 95 SLS that had a crap ton of miles and was having suspension issues. Sold it for $1700 and got the 98. At the time, those 98's were around $10K, but the head gasket scared everyone at that time. I was only 21 and didn't have near the experience as a mechanic that I do now, but I got it done. I loved the car, but my sister needed a car and $4 a gallon gas was killing me. Let her have it and I took a Saturn.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Puck
Nice, 3150 without any real weight reduction mods .

Had no idea their stock tanks were that big, F-bodies are 15.5 gallon IIRC.
my stock 87 formula ws6 weighs 3340.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by big hammer
my stock 87 formula ws6 weighs 3340.
True, but it doesn't have any of the technology that the corvette packs in. ABS, traction control, IRS, information centers, true duals, power antenna, etc. Not to mention the strength of everything else on the car. Imagine my shock when I went to check the rear CV shafts and found two metal drive shafts where the CV should have been.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JC316
True, but it doesn't have any of the technology that the corvette packs in. ABS, traction control, IRS, information centers, true duals, power antenna, etc. Not to mention the strength of everything else on the car. Imagine my shock when I went to check the rear CV shafts and found two metal drive shafts where the CV should have been.
it also has a cast iron engine from top to bottom.

Quick Reply: Thirdgen lt1 vs Cadillac Eldorado