Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ws6 vs gtr... how much more do i need to pull on these cars.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ws6 vs gtr... how much more do i need to pull on these cars.

I had a second run in with the infamous gtr today.

the first. it was straight off a dig. I really didnt think i had any chance getting off the line as quick. it was just a quick first gear pull. and he pulled a car length away before going into second.

today was a second run in with a different gtr. which when i ask what was done before the race. he said it was "basically stock". dont know what that means by i guess just bpu.

it was an off a roll pull. maybe about 20mph.
I was keeping up till the top of 2nd gear. I missed 3rd gear twice. I just could not quick shift to third.(pro 5.0 is on the way.)

freeway perhaps i would have pulled on him. but i want to pull on the gtr on 2nd gear+ as it stands it dead even 1st and 2nds.

im currently at 16-17 psi 76mm turbo with 5.3.
im thinking of raising the boost to 20 psi when my meth kit gets here.for the mean time whats the general power raing does take to beat a gtr?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

More power don't miss gears.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTR's are friggin heavy. If he's stock, or near stock, you should have the power to pull away. I think you should invest in some type of boost control to prevent from dropping between shifts.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What kind of power do you make?
Old 05-17-2015, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

you need a modern 6-8 speed and mod it to shift as fast as it can.

suspension and tires. it needs to be geared to PULL in 1:1. 3.27 maybe. rpms. you need rpms. im talking 7000 rpm shift to keep it pulling and not give up gearing advantage by having to short shift.

he has aero on you. as speed increases it will sap your power.

you can add boost...he can too.

Last edited by assasinator; 05-17-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GTRs have an amazing dual clutch transmission, and pull harder then they should at xxxhp because of it. Badass setup.

Your driving is even more important because of this, if you lag on your shifts they will pull hard every time you change gears. I'd imagine a 16psi 5.3 should have not had a problem with a "basically stock" GTR though? Is it a bone stock 5.3+ turbo, or do you have supporting mods like heads and cam?
Old 05-17-2015, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
More power don't miss gears.
I assume both. but how much are we talking about?

Originally Posted by Puck
GTRs have an amazing dual clutch transmission, and pull harder then they should at xxxhp because of it. Badass setup.

Your driving is even more important because of this, if you lag on your shifts they will pull hard every time you change gears. I'd imagine a 16psi 5.3 should have not had a problem with a "basically stock" GTR though? Is it a bone stock 5.3+ turbo, or do you have supporting mods like heads and cam?
yea this was my concern. my 1st to second shift i noticed that it had not lag at all so i tried to shift to 3rd as fast as possible. and just would not jam into 3rd. i guess next time powershifting is in order. the f body transmission just does not like shifting at high rpm. ive never had this issue on my supras. ive never considered really wanting a short throw till yesterday, so i ordered it after i got home

its a bone stock 5.3 with a turbo.

1st gear i know i lost ground b/c of traction.

Originally Posted by Mongoose350
GTR's are friggin heavy. If he's stock, or near stock, you should have the power to pull away. I think you should invest in some type of boost control to prevent from dropping between shifts.
yea thats what i thought at first. but considering the weight of a ws6 + turbo kit. it very may be a negligible difference in weight.

Originally Posted by assasinator
you need a modern 6-8 speed and mod it to shift as fast as it can.

suspension and tires. it needs to be geared to PULL in 1:1. 3.27 maybe. rpms. you need rpms. im talking 7000 rpm shift to keep it pulling and not give up gearing advantage by having to short shift.

he has aero on you. as speed increases it will sap your power.

you can add boost...he can too.
modern 6-8? im not familiar with that. is that an aftermarket transmision?

suspension are next on the list. tires are done. 315 nitto 555r.

as far as gearing. unfortunately im not going to be changing the rear set up. it cost way to much. i currently have 3.73 moser 12bolt as it sits.

does the skyline pulls that much harder on higher speed? with the ws6 it feels like 1 and 2nd is a joke(due to not having traction in 1st and a bit on 2nd. 3,4,5 however is full traction and it pulls way harder. i dont think it even sees 16psi in 1st and 2nd gear.

Last edited by stock400whp; 05-17-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

16-17psi on a 5.3 with a 76mm is good for 600+whp (assuming you have supporting mods as well). You should have drug the GTR's *** from a roll.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
16-17psi on a 5.3 with a 76mm is good for 600+whp (assuming you have supporting mods as well). You should have drug the GTR's *** from a roll.
i wanted to but not enough road where we were at.

i knew i was in a big disadvantage but just wanted to see anyways.
ill be upping the boost soon. but that could mean worse 1st/2nd gear traction so that may not help much at all.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

A bolt on GTR should be a low to mid 130s car, shouldn't be that difficult to beat it.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

You'll need a 10 sec car....
those cars run low 11s from the factory.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Your 5.3 being stock is holding you back. You should get a cam at the very least. LJMS, Tick Performance, call one up and get you a cam for your set up. 16 psi on a stock 5.3 is going to make some good power, but it's not just a peak number that's important. Get a good cam and your car will pull much harder while changing nothing else. Especially with you being a standard, you need to build boost fast and maintain it through the shifts.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:14 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
You'll need a 10 sec car....
those cars run low 11s from the factory.
They'll run 10s stock in decent conditions. There was a 2014 GT-R, completely stock down to the tire, running 11.1 with launch control on a 90 degree and humid day. Then the owner gave the keys to his friend, who had never driven the car before, and he immediately ran a 11.12 with launch control.
The guys were super-chill, we were laughing about the GT-R racing video that had the dude sleeping as he raced and then we were making jokes about reducing weight, so we took out all the mats in the car to save 0.01 second.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by audacious nick
They'll run 10s stock in decent conditions. There was a 2014 GT-R, completely stock down to the tire, running 11.1 with launch control on a 90 degree and humid day. Then the owner gave the keys to his friend, who had never driven the car before, and he immediately ran a 11.12 with launch control.
The guys were super-chill, we were laughing about the GT-R racing video that had the dude sleeping as he raced and then we were making jokes about reducing weight, so we took out all the mats in the car to save 0.01 second.
Exactly this. There is absolutely no skill in driving a GT-R in a straight line. The driver is removed from the equation, unless they just don't know how to setup all the controls for the perfect launch. I'd never agree to do anything <40 mph against a GT-R, their car does all the work for them and you'll just be struggling to come back. Keeping it to a 60 will smack the smile right off the guy's face.

There's no reason you can't take out a bolt-on GT-R from a 60 roll with your setup.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gtr's are amazingly efficient so if you screw up or don't have the hp you're going to have a bad night
Old 05-19-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Small cam
Auto trans
Steeper gear
Sticky tires (NOT Nitto 555R)
Old 05-20-2015, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Small cam
Auto trans
Steeper gear
Sticky tires (NOT Nitto 555R)
I agree with everything but a steeper gear unless you mean steeper as in higher. Turbo cars do a lot better with less gear.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

If it was actually "basically stock" you should've raped him.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
If it was actually "basically stock" you should've raped him.
If it really was mostly stock I agree. It's him being a standard that's killing him. He probably drops boost between shifts, then just as he gets back in the power, he has to shift again. Like those cars you see in vids that pull hard, but drop back 1/2 a car between shifts.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mongoose350
If it really was mostly stock I agree. It's him being a standard that's killing him. He probably drops boost between shifts, then just as he gets back in the power, he has to shift again. Like those cars you see in vids that pull hard, but drop back 1/2 a car between shifts.
The car actually doesnt drop much boost between shift. the powerband is decent.

biggest thing is traction. I have no first gear and the faster i shift to second the less traction i have in second gear. considering we were toe to toe and i had no traction i could have definitely taken him if I did.

The question was for street setup.

This car is 100% street and DD. not really down to run slicks. perhaps mt drag rad. but seeing how low the life on those are i opted for 555r. i want to go atleast 1+ year without changing the rear tires.

has anyone here run against a gtr on the street and have taken it off the line? im sure someone here has and curious what there set up is.

in reality swapping to an auto is not an option. just not for me.(ive had one and hated it) yes i know it would help me get off the line.
2nd. next best tire is the mt. perhaps next tire change ill give this a try. but that would depend on how much $$ I can afford when that comes around.

I would assume it would be much easier to take out a gtr in the track w/ slicks but streets what are your set up?
(more specific-off a dig)

found a race between turbo ws6 vs gtr off a roll.

this guy looks like very similar base as mine at only 12psi.

the gtr wouldnt even be a contest off a roll.

Last edited by stock400whp; 05-21-2015 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply: ws6 vs gtr... how much more do i need to pull on these cars.