Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

TT 280Z vs 600WHP C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 10:28 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
why not a th400 or 4l80e?
Weight, size and power robbing %. The shorty glide/GV OD setup weight 3lbs more than my T56. And was 3/4" shorter. Didn't rob anywhere near the HP and was very compact.

Also I could run full power on the GV OD and never worry about it breaking. You can't do that with the 4L80 for long. Not at 1000+ numbers. I don't care what your trans builder tells you.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:29 AM
8 Second Club

I added another video of me gapping a 1100whp GTR to the first post.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Which one do you have, which company and what gears? If you don't mind telling me. I really appreciate all of the info so far.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:36 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Which one do you have, which company and what gears? If you don't mind telling me. I really appreciate all of the info so far.
No worries. I don't hide anything. FTI stg 4 (1000hp) glide. 1.80 straight cut I believe. I would go FTI again. Those guys are really badass man. The best customer service I have ever seen out of the automotive world hands down.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks so much. You're car is bad *** and definitely where I want mine to be. I'll look into FTI and start figuring what I need.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:46 AM
8 Second Club

Thanks so much. You're car is bad *** and definitely where I want mine to be. I'll look into FTI and start figuring what I need.
Good luck man!
Old 08-26-2016, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

There are 5.3/6.0/6.2's here in Fort Wayne all dumped before the front tires in different configurations. All sound worse than a LS1 cruising with a loose stall and a ypipe AT IDLE. Which is pretty bad imo. All opinion doesn't take away that the car looks good and is fast. A wide LSA cam with lower compression dumped out basically like a open manifold muffled very little by larger turbos not spinning much rpm at idle just doesn't sound good to me. I bet I would like the sound with full exhaust a lot better.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:12 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni
There are 5.3/6.0/6.2's here in Fort Wayne all dumped before the front tires in different configurations. All sound worse than a LS1 cruising with a loose stall and a ypipe AT IDLE. Which is pretty bad imo. All opinion doesn't take away that the car looks good and is fast. A wide LSA cam with lower compression dumped out basically like a open manifold muffled very little by larger turbos not spinning much rpm at idle just doesn't sound good to me. I bet I would like the sound with full exhaust a lot better.
Yeah I hear you on the idle. I'm less than thrilled with the idle sound at 9.5:1 and small turbos but the idle is the last thing I cared about when building this car. It's part of the balance act.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
No doubt about it being faster and more reliable with a glide. I loved my glide and I loved the T56 too but IMO I would never go back the a stick car. The key is power vs. weight ratio and gear/tire selection. Get those categories perfect and a glide in the street is an absolute dream to drive.

I often laugh at all the BS comments I read online about how a glide isn't street friendly. 99% of those people have no clue what they are talking about. It's like anything else. Be thorough in your research and select the right components and you'll be happy.
I've preached this for years and the only nay-sayers are the people that have never done it.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

You rolled out mang. Good run
Old 08-26-2016, 12:07 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Prototype007
I've preached this for years and the only nay-sayers are the people that have never done it.
This is 100% true. I remember the first drive it took with the glide. I was like "wtf is everyone talking about" then I realized it was the Internet and I laughed.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I hear you on the idle. I'm less than thrilled with the idle sound at 9.5:1 and small turbos but the idle is the last thing I cared about when building this car. It's part of the balance act.
Cars are all give and take. My only guess to try and fix that would be run full exhaust thru mufflers and resonators then have a electric cutout dumping it straight out the side or somewhere with a direct route. Or, who gives a **** it does what it is intended to do keep making videos.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:28 PM
8 Second Club

Cars are all give and take. My only guess to try and fix that would be run full exhaust thru mufflers and resonators then have a electric cutout dumping it straight out the side or somewhere with a direct route. Or, who gives a **** it does what it is intended to do keep making videos.
I like this response. It made me chuckle out loud
Old 08-26-2016, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's how mine is

I have it running all the way through my borla adj catback and have an electric cutout. You wouldn't even know it was a turbo'd car until you saw where the foglights are out and can see the intercooler. The cutout is right behind the front wheels and is definitely noticed when open. But when it's closed it sounds like it only has exhaust and is pretty stealthy and I have the plate out of my borla bypassing the muffler
Old 08-26-2016, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Weight, size and power robbing %. The shorty glide/GV OD setup weight 3lbs more than my T56. And was 3/4" shorter. Didn't rob anywhere near the HP and was very compact.

Also I could run full power on the GV OD and never worry about it breaking. You can't do that with the 4L80 for long. Not at 1000+ numbers. I don't care what your trans builder tells you.
OK the Glide with a GV OD sounds more appealing for sure.

Nice kill BTW...that Z gets it!! I agree on FTI...only company I will use.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that was just dirty!

280 rolls out hard... I watched it at Tx2k16...
Old 08-26-2016, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
That's how mine is

I have it running all the way through my borla adj catback and have an electric cutout. You wouldn't even know it was a turbo'd car until you saw where the foglights are out and can see the intercooler. The cutout is right behind the front wheels and is definitely noticed when open. But when it's closed it sounds like it only has exhaust and is pretty stealthy and I have the plate out of my borla bypassing the muffler
Sleepah status. I used to love my electric cutout y pipe setup on my Camaro. Had a nice rocker switch I used to play with when I wanted to wake the dead.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey man not trying to derail the actual thread but I have a turbo 408 SS that is a T56 car and it is starting to whine in first, second and third and I was wondering what info you could give me switching form a manual to an automatic. I have been fighting it because I just love driving a stick but I am thinking the car will be faster and hold up better with an auto.
An auto will never lag from losing spool on a turbo. An auto will overboost on shift as the turbine speed drops to demand of the next gear. An auto is the only way to run a turbo imo.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

^ or the most efficient way!
Old 08-28-2016, 07:28 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah I'm sold on the auto. I'm going to look into going with a glide.

Quick Reply: TT 280Z vs 600WHP C6