Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2018 camero SS vs max port FBO TERMINATOR

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

They're not as easy as most cars to drive. People who ran them in stock form were running on a street tire, in a stick car with a cable clutch, and a PD blower, and most of these people were probably inexperienced drivers. Add all that up and it makes for a bad ET with a halfway decent trap. Some people have them figured out and they fly
Old 01-25-2018, 04:48 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick.H
They're not as easy as most cars to drive. People who ran them in stock form were running on a street tire, in a stick car with a cable clutch, and a PD blower, and most of these people were probably inexperienced drivers. Add all that up and it makes for a bad ET with a halfway decent trap. Some people have them figured out and they fly
Old 01-25-2018, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by deviate42
back in 2004 you could spend $3K-4K and upgrade the blower to whipple or KB with a KB 'boost a pump' and make 600-650whp/600wtq with pump gas and have a reliable setup.

600whp gets most of these cars trapping 127-133+mph in the 1/4. Which could tear up about 99% of anything on the street.

That is why they have a reputation if you didn't know.
i know this is a old poast, but i have a comment about the awesome termi......a termi uses a run of the mill 03-04 romeo 2v iron block.....a 2v iron block suffers car walk making 650rwhp or more long term....ALL of the termis in my mustang club in TN making more than 500rwhp had either head gasket failures, piston faiures, bearing failures, cap walk, etc.

so my definition of 'reliable' is different than yours.

imo, using a run of the mill 2v block is not optimal for long term reliability.

ARP 03-04 Cobra Main Studs (4 bolt Main-Cast Iron Block) *With windage tray

**FOR USE ON 03-04 COBRA CAST IRON BLOCKS**

There are many important reasons to use ARP® main stud kits, including the elimination of main cap walk and fretting, as well as protecting the threads in your engine block. The studs are manufactured in our own factory using the best materials, processes, designs and engineering.

Every ARP® main stud kit exceeds the most stringent aerospace specifications. All kits come complete with hardened parallel-ground washers and aerospace quality nuts. Some applications have provisions for mounting windage trays and have specially designed standoff studs with serrated lock nuts to position the windage tray and lock it securely in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt10ram View Post
At what point do you have to worry about main caps walk on the factory 2 bolt system.
The 2V blocks are essentially the same as the 4v 03/04 Cobra block, long story short the cross bolted and deep skirt design of the modular block easily allows these things to make 1000+ with no appreciable cap walk when used with ARP main studs.
so just throwing a blower on a terminator and making the power it is capable of, is not reliable at all.

legend is great than reality....
Old 01-25-2018, 10:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 466 Likes on 365 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yea there was a thread on svt that stopped at 75 pages of blown up ones. 4 blew up in my area one year.

We put better pistons in mine, upgraded the oil pump, polished/chamfered the crank and used new bolts thru out. Sometimes i wish i would have studded it but i didn't plan on blower swapping it.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:46 AM
Teching In

Received 116 Likes on 88 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

....and a built motor. Lol
Old 01-26-2018, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Exactly on the terminator. Tons of them in Md blew up. Very overated car but they still go for big bucks
Old 01-26-2018, 08:50 AM
7 Second Club

Received 316 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Exactly on the terminator. Tons of them in Md blew up. ....
WOT in 5th isn't smart without extra cooling mods.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
i know this is a old poast, but i have a comment about the awesome termi......a termi uses a run of the mill 03-04 romeo 2v iron block.....a 2v iron block suffers car walk making 650rwhp or more long term....ALL of the termis in my mustang club in TN making more than 500rwhp had either head gasket failures, piston faiures, bearing failures, cap walk, etc.

so my definition of 'reliable' is different than yours.

imo, using a run of the mill 2v block is not optimal for long term reliability.

so just throwing a blower on a terminator and making the power it is capable of, is not reliable at all.

legend is great than reality....
I had no idea that all the 500+whp Cobras you have seen have had engine failure. Man that is just crazy to think! Mine should have blown up a long time ago! And my black 04 cobra before that. Also the shop that I use in Houston, it should be flooded with Cobra’s that have pullies and ported blowers since they just can’t take the bolt on’s!! I mean there are probably 10 cars for sale right now on Svtp with bolton’s Or blower swaps, some with high mileage that appear to self destruct devices at any moment

Now you are making me sound like a complete worshiper and nut swinger of Cobras which I am not. They have weak links, more often it is not the block, crank, rods, it is pistons. running 700hp or higher and not on a cooler burning fuel like e85, IMO you are rolling the dice with the heat.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deviate, what did your cobro run?
Old 01-26-2018, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by adamantium
You can run but you can't Hyde
Old 01-26-2018, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick.H
You can run but you can't Hyde

Last edited by adamantium; 01-26-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

LS1Tech 10 Year

I love the lena Dunham thing lmao
Old 01-26-2018, 08:28 PM
Banned

i talked to him on IG a while back hes pretty chill and has a supra LOL with a 1j
Old 01-27-2018, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah I've watched MDE for a long time
Old 01-27-2018, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
Deviate, what did your cobro run?
Haven’t run it at the track since I put the 2.9 on.

Last I was at the track I still had a KB 2.2 running about 640whp and I was seeing 11.4’s - 11.8’s 124-128mph.

I know I should be A lot faster with that power but Before you eat my lunch - I never ran the car hard. I was on hard street tires cutting 2.0-2.2 60 ft’s shifting in slow mo. The owner before more really beat on the car and I was worried about the trans but that was back when but now it has a t56magnum, gforce axles, new diff/gears. It’s ready to rip
Then I got slicks skinnies setup but before I could run it decided to cut out the kids play on power and I have a shop in Houston building the motor as we speak. Doing high compression, ported heads, and turning up the whipple. Fingers crossed but the whole setup should be up and running by end of feb in time for tx2k.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by deviate42
I had no idea that all the 500+whp Cobras you have seen have had engine failure. Man that is just crazy to think! Mine should have blown up a long time ago! And my black 04 cobra before that. Also the shop that I use in Houston, it should be flooded with Cobra’s that have pullies and ported blowers since they just can’t take the bolt on’s!! I mean there are probably 10 cars for sale right now on Svtp with bolton’s Or blower swaps, some with high mileage that appear to self destruct devices at any moment

Now you are making me sound like a complete worshiper and nut swinger of Cobras which I am not. They have weak links, more often it is not the block, crank, rods, it is pistons. running 700hp or higher and not on a cooler burning fuel like e85, IMO you are rolling the dice with the heat.
I was thinking the same thing lol, I have tons of track passes on my stock longblock and it has no issue at all. I love driving an hour to the track, running mid 10s, and driving her home. Honestly, the ones that probably are going to have the problems these days are the low mileage ones that are rarely driven.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SS EATR
I was thinking the same thing lol, I have tons of track passes on my stock longblock and it has no issue at all. I love driving an hour to the track, running mid 10s, and driving her home. Honestly, the ones that probably are going to have the problems these days are the low mileage ones that are rarely driven.
This is funny stuff. 600rwhp cobras blowing up. My cobra has been pullied since it was 2000miles old. And over 600rwhp for about 18k. If the tune is good the car will be fine. Plenty of guys on SVTP with 600rwhp for a decade. Because of the older computer and lack of knock sensors a bad tune can melt **** really quick. They are easy to mess up in that way. Plus everyone in the world wants max power on max boost on pump gas. You live life on the ragged edge and sometimes **** goes wrong.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2003Cobro
This is funny stuff. 600rwhp cobras blowing up. My cobra has been pullied since it was 2000miles old. And over 600rwhp for about 18k. If the tune is good the car will be fine. Plenty of guys on SVTP with 600rwhp for a decade. Because of the older computer and lack of knock sensors a bad tune can melt **** really quick. They are easy to mess up in that way. Plus everyone in the world wants max power on max boost on pump gas. You live life on the ragged edge and sometimes **** goes wrong.
Lmao that right there proves how RETARDED Ford really is. Neglecting to put knock sensors on a boosted engine. What ****** idiots. No wonder you drive one.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedFuryZ28
Lmao that right there proves how RETARDED Ford really is. Neglecting to put knock sensors on a boosted engine. What ****** idiots. No wonder you drive one.
Youre the last one to ever call someone an idiot. Hell idk why you even speak on here after getting destroyed by that 4.6 2v mustang gt
Old 02-03-2018, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by "MAC"
Youre the last one to ever call someone an idiot. Hell idk why you even speak on here after getting destroyed by that 4.6 2v mustang gt
Says the dumbass who thinks a 6k lb pickup should get the same gas mileage as a vette. I think someone actually tried to make you that stupid.

Quick Reply: 2018 camero SS vs max port FBO TERMINATOR