3 valve vs LS1 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

3 valve vs LS1

Reply

Old 01-10-2018, 08:26 PM
  #1  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Capt. Insano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 0
Default 3 valve vs LS1

Had my first kill with my LS1. Been a Mustang guy most of my life and grew up with a fast 3 valve (my dads), so I was very happy to beat one. I have a 2000 Z28 M6 with Lontubes, h pipe, Flowmaster 40s, drag radials, and a lid with free ram air. I’ve killed a bunch of little VW GTI and such but I don’t count those. And the coyotes and 2 valves wouldn’t wanna race me for some reason. Anyways he caught up to me and rode my butt for a little and then got over and kept speed with me, so I downshifted to 3rd to see what he would do and then he downshifted as well, so I downshifted to 2nd and was at 40 and we were playing a little bit trying to let traffic get ahead. So then he lurched forward and let off, then I did the same thing, except he started going when I did that. So his front tire was at my front bumper and then I punched and just started walking away from him. His mods were unknown besides exhaust (I. could hear it) and he had a manual (hear/see him shift) I also had my 220lb buddy with me and he had no passenger.
Capt. Insano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:36 PM
  #2  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
HCI2000SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Howell & Fenton MI
Posts: 10,572
Default

Good kill. Those 3 valves didn't have much punch. My dad and brother both had 06 gt's. My 04 gt and 16 V6 were basically just as fast lol
HCI2000SS is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:30 AM
  #3  
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 302
Default

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Good kill. Those 3 valves didn't have much punch. My dad and brother both had 06 gt's. My 04 gt and 16 V6 were basically just as fast lol
Mid 13 second [email protected] Basically a tick slower than the Mach 1. But yeah, not much of a match for an LS1 fbody,
JC316 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:45 AM
  #4  
Teching In
 
RedFuryZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NE
Posts: 16
Default

Nice kill.

I pulled 8 lengths on a 3V from 80 to 130, giving up the hit, in my old z28. I just had lid/cat back and an auto. Fords are turds without boost.
RedFuryZ28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:24 AM
  #5  
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 302
Default

Originally Posted by RedFuryZ28 View Post
Nice kill.

I pulled 8 lengths on a 3V from 80 to 130, giving up the hit, in my old z28. I just had lid/cat back and an auto. Fords are turds without boost.
Must have felt good to beat up on a V6 like that.
JC316 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:48 AM
  #6  
On The Tree
 
Nick.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tmec, CA
Posts: 129
Default

Is the H pipe a custom piece or does somebody make production H pipes for fbodies?
Nick.H is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:54 AM
  #7  
Teching In
 
RedFuryZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NE
Posts: 16
Default

Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Must have felt good to beat up on a V6 like that.
You really think a stock 3v has any top end pull at all? Oh wait, you also thought high stalls only work in 1st gear. Leadtard.
RedFuryZ28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:09 AM
  #8  
Teching In
 
BlkMach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: S. Fla.
Posts: 36
Default

Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Must have felt good to beat up on a V6 like that.
Got eeemm!
BlkMach1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:40 AM
  #9  
Teching In
 
RedFuryZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NE
Posts: 16
Default

Originally Posted by BlkMach1 View Post
Got eeemm!
I remember how butthurt YOU were over that 3v massacre of mine.
RedFuryZ28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:14 AM
  #10  
Teching In
 
BlkMach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: S. Fla.
Posts: 36
Default

Originally Posted by RedFuryZ28 View Post
I remember how butthurt YOU were over that 3v massacre of mine.
I don’t, I don’t look that far down on the totem pole. Congrats on barely edging out a 200hp V6 with your “beast 9 sec. capable 470hp” camero
BlkMach1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:12 AM
  #11  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (7)
 
HioSSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 4,527
Default

Good run op
HioSSilver is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:52 AM
  #12  
Teching In
 
swapped3vgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: miami fl
Posts: 1
Default

And the coyotes and 2 valves wouldn’t wanna race me for some reason.

Good kill but i don't think you can keep up with a coyote .
swapped3vgt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:25 AM
  #13  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (7)
 
HioSSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 4,527
Default

Lbo ls1 cars can easily keep up or beat coyotes.
HioSSilver is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:36 AM
  #14  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
HCI2000SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Howell & Fenton MI
Posts: 10,572
Default

My dads bone stock 2006 automatic 3 valve was a drivers race with my bone stock 2004 manual 2 valve. The extra weight they carried didn't help. Also my dads 3 valve ran 13.9 at 100 stock and my 2016 3.7 V6 ran 13.8 at 101. The new retro design was a nice change but the performance was not
HCI2000SS is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:04 PM
  #15  
Teching In
 
MACHXLR8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1
Default

Good run, OP! Yea, I would think the 3-Valve would need some mods to keep up with you.
Be safe.

I raced an 2010 GT Manual 3-valve not to long ago with some mods and beat him up pretty bad also with basic boltons at the time. I think i have it on vid too. It seems like they run hard down low and then fall on their face up top.

@2:23

Last edited by MACHXLR8; 01-12-2018 at 02:55 PM.
MACHXLR8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:20 PM
  #16  
Teching In
 
RedFuryZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NE
Posts: 16
Default

Originally Posted by BlkMach1 View Post
I don’t, I don’t look that far down on the totem pole. Congrats on barely edging out a 200hp V6 with your “beast 9 sec. capable 470hp” camero
See, you don't even know which car im talking about.

My GTP would be a good race for a stock 3v. Not my fault that furds are slow as *****.
RedFuryZ28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:22 PM
  #17  
Teching In
 
RedFuryZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NE
Posts: 16
Default

Originally Posted by HioSSilver View Post
Lbo ls1 cars can easily keep up or beat coyotes.
Yep. My mystic z beat 3 different coyotes pretty easily. With just a lid and cat back. One even had mods. And the owner is a member on here.
RedFuryZ28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:58 PM
  #18  
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 85
Default

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8 View Post
Good run, OP! Yea, I would think the 3-Valve would need some mods to keep up you.
Be safe.

I raced an 2010 GT auto 3-valve not to long ago with some mods and beat him up pretty bad also with basic boltons at the time. I think i have it on vid too. It seems like they run hard down low and then fall on their face up top.
from al I read the 3v was a great stock street car for the fun factor and a twisty car, but any other purpose they don't work as well. guy in town has one gutted with full bolt ons and cams and it just doesn't do squat in a straight line.
freaky57fast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:00 PM
  #19  
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 85
Default

Originally Posted by Capt. Insano View Post
Had my first kill with my LS1. Been a Mustang guy most of my life and grew up with a fast 3 valve (my dads), so I was very happy to beat one. I have a 2000 Z28 M6 with Lontubes, h pipe, Flowmaster 40s, drag radials, and a lid with free ram air. I’ve killed a bunch of little VW GTI and such but I don’t count those. And the coyotes and 2 valves wouldn’t wanna race me for some reason. Anyways he caught up to me and rode my butt for a little and then got over and kept speed with me, so I downshifted to 3rd to see what he would do and then he downshifted as well, so I downshifted to 2nd and was at 40 and we were playing a little bit trying to let traffic get ahead. So then he lurched forward and let off, then I did the same thing, except he started going when I did that. So his front tire was at my front bumper and then I punched and just started walking away from him. His mods were unknown besides exhaust (I. could hear it) and he had a manual (hear/see him shift) I also had my 220lb buddy with me and he had no passenger.
captain insano truly shows no mercy..
freaky57fast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:06 PM
  #20  
On The Tree
 
Nick.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tmec, CA
Posts: 129
Default

Originally Posted by freaky57fast View Post
captain insano truly shows no mercy..
Nick.H is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 valve vs LS1


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: