Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cobra gets beat by Nissan SUV

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
**** those were some ugly cars.

That 5.0 vs 370z race was over before it started and could of been settled playing grand turismo.
Just cause it looks fast does not mean it is. Ask the scion frs crowd lol
I fucked around with a girl who had a Nismo Juke and god I hated picking her up when she came up in that thing, lol. Nice cars looking at the big picture but damn they're ugly as ****. Seats were kinda badass though.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
Getting back to the Juke SUV, I would not take anything with a turbo (or supercharger) lightly. Some people out there do it right and have nice setups.
When my MACH was basic bolt-on (Catback and CAI) I raced a 4cyl gutted Honda with a turbo and a good amount of boost. It was damn impressive to say the least and pulled pretty good on me. Same with this Juke. It pulled pretty good down low and mid range.
Truth. When I was younger I had a "fixed" 99 Cobra with all the boltawns, gears and a toon. I thought my pile was pretty ok. Then I got walked by some guy in a turbo 420a eclipse. Guy said it was a stock motor with a Hahn kit...my n/a grande meal cobro basically lost to a neon. Life lessons.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazehen
I love how this race involved a Nissan and yet this thread still turns into a GM vs Ford **** show.
This whole thread was aimed to make Ford look bad. I pointed out that an LT1 would do just as bad against the little frog eyed bastard. Then the GM guys decided that TPI cars were dead nuts even with even an LT1 car. With the way the exaggeration goes around here, in 10 years the LS1 will be an 11 second car bone stock, the LT1 was an 12.0 car, and the TPI ran 12.2 stock. Then of course the 4V was a 16 second car, the PI a 17 second car, and the NPI got beat by a stock pinto.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

No one said a TPI car was fast as a LT1. Everyone disputed your usual wrong statements
Old 06-07-2018, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
No one said a TPI car was fast as a LT1. Everyone disputed your usual wrong statements
I have nothing but respect for you, but are you reading the same thread as me? Lets run through...

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Hmm a cast iron TPI auto car going 13s stock at 75/80 drag way. My C4 went low 13s and I was not fbo. Light to light I will murder a bolt on 4 valve. After 1/8 mile I will get murdered

A 96-98 Cobra with a good driver will beat a LT1 F bomb if car is in good shape. then same car with a good driver in it racks off a 13.7 at 103. In fact they were faster than the 99s prefix.
You've established that the B head cobra is faster than the LT1. That puts the LT1 around 13.8-14.0 car.

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
LT1 embarrassed the n/a cobra, heck the TPI would beat it stop light to stop light.
Originally Posted by Puck
13.9 @ 99 on hot, humid day in FL, with a 148k mile LT1, stock.
Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Tpi and 4v a better match fo sho.
Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
My 91 Z28 went 14.1 @ 98 with just some drop in filters in the summer heat at Capitol Raceway. My coworkers son had a 98 Cobra at the track on the same day and went 14.0 @ 101, which is what most ran with a good driver. Hardly train lengths. M6 LT1 cars were in running high 13s stock in those conditions.
​​​​​that 13.9 305 1le g92 m5 car was likely very accurate. Only one i ever seen tested . Rare car....light....optioned for performance. Very doable.

now run along snowflake bitch.

fact is stock tpi cars went as fast as high 13s in testing. Same with the 4vs....but replicating the 4v performance in real life is harder. You proved that. End of stary.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JC316
This whole thread was aimed to make Ford look bad. I pointed out that an LT1 would do just as bad against the little frog eyed bastard. Then the GM guys decided that TPI cars were dead nuts even with even an LT1 car. With the way the exaggeration goes around here, in 10 years the LS1 will be an 11 second car bone stock, the LT1 was an 12.0 car, and the TPI ran 12.2 stock. Then of course the 4V was a 16 second car, the PI a 17 second car, and the NPI got beat by a stock pinto.
alright dude this is where I call you out on some ****. I would expect by now, knowing me on here as long as you have, that I have no major brand bias. I like fast and fun cars. So to say that I aim to make anybody look bad is asinine. Get your head out of your ***.

I post things I find interesting. Go look at my previous threads. Don’t bs’ing people by acting like I’m some kind of fanboy for anybody
Old 06-08-2018, 02:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nick.H

alright dude this is where I call you out on some ****. I would expect by now, knowing me on here as long as you have, that I have no major brand bias. I like fast and fun cars. So to say that I aim to make anybody look bad is asinine. Get your head out of your ***.

I post things I find interesting. Go look at my previous threads. Don’t bs’ing people by acting like I’m some kind of fanboy for anybody
The title is a bit provocative and this **** show was bound to happen. That said, I agree, I've never seen bias out of you and I apologize for suggesting otherwise.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks. It would’ve been the same title had it been any car. I just like to watch the reactions
Old 06-08-2018, 07:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Jc just upset he's never left the 14s and don't know how to. So he resorts to yt vids instead of his own experience. Errythang he touches turns into a turd so he makes these amazing yt vids saying what a pos errythang he touches turns into. It's a bit narcissistic if you ask me.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock for stock TPIs are bigger boat anchors than LT1s lol. Absolutely terrible cylinder heads, and it is the design itself that sucks so even fully ported they are bad. Need aftermarket heads to be worth a damn...but bore size won't allow any good ones. Trash all around.

Generally not even within .5 of an LT1, and closer to a 15 than a 14...apparently excluding any special optioned mystery models like mentioned above. I have never heard of a stock 13sec TPI car but they were before my time and before the surge in Internet forums so not much documented to go on besides hear-say and old magazines - and we know how inaccurate magazine times can be when they have the guy who reviews how many cup holders a mini-van comes with trying to use a stop watch to time a sports car.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Jc just upset he's never left the 14s and don't know how to. So he resorts to yt vids instead of his own experience. Errythang he touches turns into a turd so he makes these amazing yt vids saying what a pos errythang he touches turns into. It's a bit narcissistic if you ask me.
I must have really struck a nerve with that narcissistic personality disorder. I've admitted I was wrong twice in this thread alone, you were proven dead wrong and still can't say the words. Then there's this..

" At the same time, people with narcissistic personality disorder have trouble handling anything they perceive as criticism, and they can: React with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make themselves appear superior"
Old 06-09-2018, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

That is the definition of you man...to a T.

it's funny how you make raging ****** vids on yt about the issues of cars then try to fly in like superman and save their day here.

you see what you lack is experience. **** you even lack know how...... So you yap dat mouf to make up for it.....w/o **** backing it up.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock for stock TPIs are bigger boat anchors than LT1s lol...Need aftermarket heads to be worth a damn...but bore size won't allow any good ones.
The L98 has the same bore as the LT1 along with more head choices

Generally not even within .5 of an LT1, and closer to a 15 than a 14...apparently excluding any special optioned mystery models like mentioned above. I have never heard of a stock 13sec TPI car
I've never seen or heard of any stock TPI F-body breaking into the 13s either. I thought my very low 14 second car was a freak as it ran with most mild bolt on 5.0s and L98s. Stock auto LT1s couldn't keep up but a good driver in a M6 almost always won. When the LS1s started becoming common it got real ugly for me by the time I hit third gear. Only ran one DOHC Cobra at the track and lost (see above post).
Old 06-10-2018, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I used to be big into 3rd gens. Was on forums for years

L98 cars ran in the mid 14s quite often. 14.1-2 fastest stock times I seen
Old 06-10-2018, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
The L98 has the same bore as the LT1 along with more head choices

I've never seen or heard of any stock TPI F-body breaking into the 13s either. I thought my very low 14 second car was a freak as it ran with most mild bolt on 5.0s and L98s. Stock auto LT1s couldn't keep up but a good driver in a M6 almost always won. When the LS1s started becoming common it got real ugly for me by the time I hit third gear. Only ran one DOHC Cobra at the track and lost (see above post).
Same head choices since you can convert SBC heads for under $400. My AFRs are early LT1 versions based on their SBC 220s factory converted to reverse cooling.

I was not talking stock bore size, but bore potential. Like the LT1 it is plagued with thin walls and is rare to see over 30 overbore without sleeves, and both are bore limited for NA use. Older SBCs can usually go up to 60. Without getting into custom pistons and exotic rolled heads, 23* heads need big valves to flow well and you can't run large valves on a 4.030 bore

Not as big of a deal on boosted builds or fancy LS headed stuff, but bore size is a huge deal in 23* land. Once you get closer to a 4.1" bore your head selection opens up DRAMATICALLY to the good 350-400+ cfm stuff, and closes a lot of the gap vs the LS crowd. SB2.2s on a 4.1" bore 400+ci SBC will make north of 800hp NA on pump gas. Ported L98 heads on a 4.030 bore make what, 450 tops? I know they barely flow 200cfm stock.

This is why aftermarket SBC blocks are so popular, since barely half the blocks can go past a 30 overbore it makes way more sense to just drop ~3k on a stronger, lighter, aftermarket block that can be punched out to a much larger bore. LT1s really got shafted when Dart and World backed out of the aftermarket LT1 block. I would have purchased one for sure.