Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

HCI2000SS vs Freakls6

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a fadanza stage 3 and light weight aluminum fly wheel in it previously. Reved like mad but i will say its street and parking lot manners are much more to my liking with this ls7 clutch
Old 10-17-2018, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Him and I were talking about this the other day, about porting the heads, different clutch, etc...as strange as it may sound I'd almost be leary of doing anything like that since it does so damn good as it sits. Sometimes it doesn't make sense on paper why a certain car runs so crazy strong for its mods, but it does happen on occasion. I wouldn't touch a thing except the tires lol
Old 10-17-2018, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Him and I were talking about this the other day, about porting the heads, different clutch, etc...as strange as it may sound I'd almost be leary of doing anything like that since it does so damn good as it sits. Sometimes it doesn't make sense on paper why a certain car runs so crazy strong for its mods, but it does happen on occasion. I wouldn't touch a thing except the tires lol
Thats true if aint broke dont fix it lol. Its just those ls7 clutches are so heavy.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:22 PM
Teching In

They are very heavy but for some reason it doesn’t seem to mind it lol
Old 10-17-2018, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Freakls6
lol my monster is heavy compared to some of the lightweight twindisc stuff that's out.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've seen cases where someone switches to better heads, or cam, or intake, or clutch, or whatever and pick up absolutely nothing. Not usually the case but it happens ocassionally. All that time and money and nothing to show. If this car was more average running for it's mods I'd say sure why not, but its not, so call it what you want...it somehow all works great together lol
Old 10-17-2018, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Well the 10 bolt we all know isn’t long for this world lol. Studded girdled axle tubes welded. Eaton true track crnter. T/A cover moser axles. Rivhmond ring gear. And its still a ticking time bomb lol
Old 10-17-2018, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Well the 10 bolt we all know isn’t long for this world lol. Studded girdled axle tubes welded. Eaton true track crnter. T/A cover moser axles. Rivhmond ring gear. And its still a ticking time bomb lol
You would be surprised some people just find a way to make em live lol and some people they grenade driving to the grocery store.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

It really sucks that GM put such a wimp rear end in these cars. Hell back in the time period these cars were being made, you could get a slow *** 4.6 Mustang with a 8.8" rear for god sakes lol
Old 10-17-2018, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris25
Toss in a lightweight clutch and that thing will really get moving. I bet that thing with an RPS twin carbon would be a monster.
Good advice
I had a fadanza stage 3 and light weight aluminum fly wheel in it previously. Reved like mad but i will say its street and parking lot manners are much more to my liking with this ls7 clutch
Ls7 clutches are pewp

keep beating on it. Be ready to fix your trans
i was leary of changing **** on my ls6. But went about it methodically and it responded and kept responding.

It does mind it. Your trans minds it to. You just don't know it yet.
They'll hold up fine to 1.7 60s.

Any track times on either car?
Old 10-17-2018, 05:03 PM
Teching In

No track times yet. And as far as the trans minding it being a heavy clutch assembly. I have a very hard time understanding how a heavy clutch will hurt longevity ov a trans that for ond comes in a factory set up with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. And second the weight of the clutch will not put any added stress on a transmission. Thats like saying forged rotating assembly will put stress on a transmission. Both rotating mass prior to the input shaft. Im sure there is more stress on a trans by a drag radial than a heavy clutch. And i sould love to see someone dead hook a 1.7 60foot on a 10 bolt
Old 10-17-2018, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

No track times yet. And as far as the trans minding it being a heavy clutch assembly. I have a very hard time understanding how a heavy clutch will hurt longevity ov a trans that for ond comes in a factory set up with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. And second the weight of the clutch will not put any added stress on a transmission. Thats like saying forged rotating assembly will put stress on a transmission. Both rotating mass prior to the input shaft. Im sure there is more stress on a trans by a drag radial than a heavy clutch. And i sould love to see someone dead hook a 1.7 60foot on a 10 bolt
Look in the dyno section I think his name was camarokid or something like that he was cutting a pretty solid 1.6 on a stock 10 bolt if I remember.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:11 PM
Teching In

if thats the case then thats very impressive
Old 10-17-2018, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

if thats the case then thats very impressive
Its been done numerous times getting it to live afterwards well thats another question lol
Old 10-17-2018, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

So we are talking 1.7 60ft's in a manual trans fbody right?
Old 10-17-2018, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still on a 10 bolt pulling 1.57 60 ft lol. Just a fresh rebuild with 3.73 and a cover. It's starting to whine a little though.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend or next so we can run. You guys want to hit the track at all?

After hearing this ls6 set up it makes me kind of want to try a different exhaust or run dual cut outs to see if it gains at all. Looking back I wish I would have went with the lightweight valves in my 243 heads. Seems to be a lot of little factors that add up to make that ls6 a strong set up.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Yup thats what im talkin. Full weight car on a 10 bolt
Old 10-17-2018, 05:43 PM
Teching In

What center and axles ROLLIN ?
Old 10-17-2018, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Besides it being to heavy gor a performance clutch and the disc being large vs a smaller diameter clutch it will at some point stop releasing well at high rpm. The fingers suck in and doesn't release the disc as it should......thus creating drag on all ready iffy syncros in a fcar t56. The more rpm the worse it will get.

It will likely last for a while. What you will notice is you will start to miss 4th gear with 4.10s. 3.90s and higher gear you will notice it in 3rd also. It will continue until you can't buy a good shift. By then it's to late.

i have lots of times. Although i don't know what you mean by dead hook. If you're talking leaving off a 2step on a slick then no they won't take that. If you're talking goin to the track and kerping in mind that you have a 10 bolt to work with then they can easily pull 1.7s all day.

lol@ 100k warrenty on a clutch. For starters they don't really warranty wear items. Second...if you nock a sycro out they're for sure gonna blame you. On top of that you don't have a 100k warranty.

Originally Posted by Chris25
Look in the dyno section I think his name was camarokid or something like that he was cutting a pretty solid 1.6 on a stock 10 bolt if I remember.
yea he had several 1.6 60's and was fine.

So we are talking 1.7 60ft's in a manual trans fbody right?
yup

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
I'm still on a 10 bolt pulling 1.57 60 ft lol. Just a fresh rebuild with 3.73 and a cover. It's starting to whine a little though.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend or next so we can run. You guys want to hit the track at all?

After hearing this ls6 set up it makes me kind of want to try a different exhaust or run dual cut outs to see if it gains at all. Looking back I wish I would have went with the lightweight valves in my 243 heads. Seems to be a lot of little factors that add up to make that ls6 a strong set up.
auto cars no count
Old 10-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Teching In

I mean ya i get it its a clutch at some point its gona fail. They will all fail. And ur missing my point about the warranty. No s*** theres no warranty on a cluch or my car for that matter thanks for stating the obvious. My point was i dint think an oe would puf it in a performance car if it wouldn’t hold of have the Longevity expected from a manufacturer. And as to poor high rpm shifting it sounds likd you’re slave was not shimmed out from the case properly. And as for “our” syncros going. Yes the factory paper ones found in f body t56’s will not hold up but runng carbon syncros = problem solved.