Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1994 ZR1 vs 2000 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Like i said i know where some mids are. 7400 is no issue for you. Lots are spinning even sbe well past that. Really there is no real need at all for the long runners on cammed or built engines. It only holds them back. We've tested the rod modded ls3 vs the fast mids and found no loss in even midrange to speak of all while gaining up top with a bolt on ls3. A stroked big cube motor is only gonna do better.

Btw mac has like zero actual experience.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Like i said i know where some mids are. 7400 is no issue for you. Lots are spinning even sbe well past that. Really there is no real need at all for the long runners on cammed or built engines. It only holds them back. We've tested the rod modded ls3 vs the fast mids and found no loss in even midrange to speak of all while gaining up top with a bolt on ls3. A stroked big cube motor is only gonna do better.

Btw mac has like zero actual experience.
7400 has me at 5087 fpm, that's if I don't float a valve though. The valvetrain is heavier than stock, but stronger. Kind of a win/lose there. Springs should hold, since they are plenty strong for it, just not something I'd like to find out the hard way. I think the parts are good to hold that, considering everything is forged with ARP hardware. Built it for spray later on down the road. Already practically running nitrous plugs with .030" gaps due to the extra heat and compression/hp. -2 heat range, might have to go down another for spray. But those runners are cool, already looked up the price lol.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Lazerlemon ta has them. Pm him if your interested. We will be putting this lod x1 on his car permanently here soon so he won't be using them.

Sbe ls7's has been to 8k rpm. Same 4" stroke. I would think you're fine with the bottom end. Since you have good but heavy valves the biggest thing to take car of is your lifters. They like to be ran in the middle of their travel. We st lazers up with Johnson's and shimmed the base of the rocker to get the preload right individually (we cut the rocker base to do this). His is good to atleast 7600 with stock rockers stock valves and btr 660 springs with ti retainers.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hiho trying to get chopper to spin his mota to 8k~ rpm? Lol.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lazerlemon ta has them. Pm him if your interested. We will be putting this lod x1 on his car permanently here soon so he won't be using them.

Sbe ls7's has been to 8k rpm. Same 4" stroke. I would think you're fine with the bottom end. Since you have good but heavy valves the biggest thing to take car of is your lifters. They like to be ran in the middle of their travel. We st lazers up with Johnson's and shimmed the base of the rocker to get the preload right individually (we cut the rocker base to do this). His is good to atleast 7600 with stock rockers stock valves and btr 660 springs with ti retainers.
My valves are about 20g heaver a piece (IIRC) over the stock ones, but are known to actually take a hit, as in bend not break (potentially saving the engine/block). Ferrea has a VERY good reputation among builders as far as I know, that and they offer a 40% military discount. They had me at discount. The Jesel's are also heavier, but I don't know how much honestly. Just more material, since the stock ones are pretty much stamped metal. The advantage is the ratio and they are fully adjustable for preloading lifters, or setting solids to .050". I'm running comp short travel racing lifters, so they actually behave like solids at high RPMs. Preload is 0-.010". Mine are all set to .010". TSP .660 springs can handle the cam, but when all said and done, the extra weight in the valvetrain is the limitation, but the parts are certainly more maintenance friendly and durable. Piston speed is another factor too, and a 4.125" stroke does factor into this, since it travels 1/4" farther per turn. That adds up pretty quick.

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
Hiho trying to get chopper to spin his mota to 8k~ rpm? Lol.
He knows I tune and can spec these things lol. It's all good. I won't push it to the point of blowing it up. I'm not trying to get too competitive on the racetrack for instance. Not with this build. This was built so I didn't have to mess with it down the road. And for just fun in general. I wanted it to corner too, so it's built for it. Also built for max durability with quality parts. If I were to build a car just for that, I'd get a hardtop for one, and then go with a 6.0 iron block and then boost the **** out of it. It it dies, it dies. Look of the car, parts, everything else is less of a concern. Hell, I'm handy with a welder too, and tube frames are not difficult to make. I've built 4x4's that way with my friends in the past completely from scratch, for fun. They weren't pretty but they could go anywhere lol.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
He knows I tune and can spec these things lol. It's all good. I won't push it to the point of blowing it up. I'm not trying to get too competitive on the racetrack for instance. Not with this build. This was built so I didn't have to mess with it down the road. And for just fun in general. I wanted it to corner too, so it's built for it. Also built for max durability with quality parts. If I were to build a car just for that, I'd get a hardtop for one, and then go with a 6.0 iron block and then boost the **** out of it. It it dies, it dies. Look of the car, parts, everything else is less of a concern. Hell, I'm handy with a welder too, and tube frames are not difficult to make. I've built 4x4's that way with my friends in the past completely from scratch, for fun. They weren't pretty but they could go anywhere lol.
Good to hear. I like your style. Again just odd. How my car is not a track car build. Yet all he, hiho, can do is talk trash about my track times. Lol. It really is cool to know of another with a vacuum pump & has a gauge set up. Just not the most common on street car setups. One thing I'd like to share with you. As it was only my experience & probably very low percent. After my motor was put together. Pretty early in it's life a couple problems came about. Turning out to be a broken valve spring. Which were the TSP .660" duals. I'm very much a TSP guy as this isn't to hate. Just thought I'd pass it along.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to hear. I like your style. Again just odd. How my car is not a track car build. Yet all he, hiho, can do is talk trash about my track times. Lol. It really is cool to know of another with a vacuum pump & has a gauge set up. Just not the most common on street car setups. One thing I'd like to share with you. As it was only my experience & probably very low percent. After my motor was put together. Pretty early in it's life a couple problems came about. Turning out to be a broken valve spring. Which were the TSP .660" duals. I'm very much a TSP guy as this isn't to hate. Just thought I'd pass it along.
That's good to know. I have a few thousand miles on the engine at this point, and I've had the covers off multiple times. So far so good, but good to know. The reason I went to the pump was when I put my stock intake on the ground, after a while it developed an oil leak, just sitting there. Then I looked at the design and had the WTF moment occur. Really GM? Really? Just dump all that oil mist right in the intake? Not on my watch *******. Vacuum pump seemed to be the ultimate solution, and it also allows for tighter ring gaps too, which adds to power and ring seal

It also tells you if there is a leak anywhere in your engine, since the gauge won't pull vacuum, so it prolongs seal life, and has a ton of benefits. I don't mind dumping a puke tank every so often. I've made it a habit to empty it before I go out for a drive now. When it does fill up, my left front tire makes sure to let me know by sending it down the side of the car in mist form lol.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
That's good to know. I have a few thousand miles on the engine at this point, and I've had the covers off multiple times. So far so good, but good to know. The reason I went to the pump was when I put my stock intake on the ground, after a while it developed an oil leak, just sitting there. Then I looked at the design and had the WTF moment occur. Really GM? Really? Just dump all that oil mist right in the intake? Not on my watch *******. Vacuum pump seemed to be the ultimate solution, and it also allows for tighter ring gaps too, which adds to power and ring seal

It also tells you if there is a leak anywhere in your engine, since the gauge won't pull vacuum, so it prolongs seal life, and has a ton of benefits. I don't mind dumping a puke tank every so often. I've made it a habit to empty it before I go out for a drive now. When it does fill up, my left front tire makes sure to let me know by sending it down the side of the car in mist form lol.
Agree with everything you've stated here. Main reasons one is on my car also. Was like "no way I'm oiling up my Fast intake like that". Lol.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

My car is not a track build either...and yes yours does underperform. Anyone....i mean anyone will likely agree with that unless it's a furd guy and they think a 12.0ish 383 ls is normal. Now alot of this is you. You can't drive very well and you've made some **** choices in part selection. If your goal is for the car to accelerate then you did some **** wrong. Just how it is.

I pretty much only like running psi springs.....beehives preferably. Pac is good also. My buddy that builds engines has ran alot of comp springs and loves their conicals.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

My car is not a track build either...and yes yours does underperform. Anyone....i mean anyone will likely agree with that unless it's a furd guy and they think a 12.0ish 383 ls is normal. Now alot of this is you. You can't drive very well and you've made some **** choices in part selection. If your goal is for the car to accelerate then you did some **** wrong. Just how it is.

I pretty much only like running psi springs.....beehives preferably. Pac is good also. My buddy that builds engines has ran alot of comp springs and loves their conicals.
You've modified your car with the intention of achieving 1/4 mile times. You can flap your ********** all you want about your road race bullshit setup. Where are your autocross times, and how many times have you gone?

Where are your 1/4 times and how many times have you gone?

Thanks for coming to my TED talk, dumb ****.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

I have modified my car with the intentions of it accelerating , handling and stopping better. But not for 1/4 mile times independently. Improved acceleration reduces qtr mile times automatically.......but you knew this because you're not a retard. Ooohhh wait

I enjoy a car much more when overall performance is improved.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 04-02-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

You are such a hiopocrite. Lol. As you're so sure of.. where does my car under perform? Likely you're just assuming & spewing crap over the net. Obviously just to try & make yourself look good. How bout ask any of the guys in my LS group? But surely you'll just type down on them too. And who the **** do you really think you are to say what's "normal" about my car? No problem you think I chose wrong parts. Doesn't mean a pile of **** to me what you think. You have no ******* idea what my intention was, or is, with my car. Just how it is. But you trying to act like you know everything is funny. Lol.

I have modified my car with the intentions of it accelerating , handling and stopping better. But not for 1/4 mile times independently. Improved acceleration reduces qtr mile times automatically.......but you knew this because you're not a retard. Ooohhh wait

I enjoy a car much more when overall performance is improved.
Bwahahahahahaha. Look at this ****. But how many times have you run it down the drag strip again? When you're against the wall don't you revert to slip counting wars? Knowing you have so many. You just grasp for whatever you can lol. Have fun in your chopped up, hole sawed, race car. Can't wait till it gets running again. We see dem track times. Or... did you really retire from racing??

Why not tell chopper about your best 60' time, mr non track car, to make yourself look even better? Lol.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

You are such a hiopocrite. Lol. As you're so sure of.. where does my car under perform? Likely you're just assuming & spewing crap over the net. Obviously just to try & make yourself look good. How bout ask any of the guys in my LS group? But surely you'll just type down on them too. And who the **** do you really think you are to say what's "normal" about my car? No problem you think I chose wrong parts. Doesn't mean a pile of **** to me what you think. You have no ******* idea what my intention was, or is, with my car. Just how it is. But you trying to act like you know everything is funny. Lol.

Bwahahahahahaha. Look at this ****. But how many times have you run it down the drag strip again? When you're against the wall don't you revert to slip counting wars? Knowing you have so many. You just grasp for whatever you can lol. Have fun in your chopped up, hole sawed, race car. Can't wait till it gets running again. We see dem track times. Or... did you really retire from racing??

Why not tell chopper about your best 60' time, mr non track car, to make yourself look even better? Lol.
He shows signs of narcissistic personality disorder. He thinks he's the best in the world at everything, best car, best mechanic, best racer, most knowledgeable LS guy, fastest racer, etc, and if you can't see it, then something is clearly wrong with you. He thinks he's never wrong. Hell, I gave him concrete proof that he was wrong in this very thread, but he still won't admit it. You can't argue with someone that believes he is right, regardless of facts.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JC316
He shows signs of narcissistic personality disorder. He thinks he's the best in the world at everything, best car, best mechanic, best racer, most knowledgeable LS guy, fastest racer, etc, and if you can't see it, then something is clearly wrong with you. He thinks he's never wrong. Hell, I gave him concrete proof that he was wrong in this very thread, but he still won't admit it. You can't argue with someone that believes he is right, regardless of facts.
Good post.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

Must mean something to what you think or you wouldn't be crying all the time.

1.26 60 like a badass.....not a ***** 1.8x like you. A 60 like that only means you to skeered to step on the throttle like a bitch.

Count yo slips.....show me all day sperience you gotz.

Lol.........and you're the idiot that makes you tube vids telling people how shitty their stuff is. How mo(i)ronic.

You've never gave any concrete proof of **** besides you're a fagg.
Good post.
Thanks
Old 04-02-2019, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

The funny part is gm's 4.6 made more power than furds 4.6.
The L37 was 300/295, the B head 4.6L was 305/300. The LH2 was 320/315, the C head was 320/317. So when did the GM 4.6L beat the ford 4.6L?
Northstars made up to 440hp.
That was the 4.4L version and it made up to 469, but it was seriously overrated.
You've never gave any concrete proof of **** besides you're a fagg.
You were wrong about the 4.6L N* out powering the ford 4.6L, you were wrong about the displacement of the supercharged N*, and you were wrong about the power rating of the 4.4L N*.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:12 PM
10 Second Club

I wasn't wrong....the northstar out powered furds 4.6 which is what was intended. I give no ***** if it was a 4.4 or a 4.6. Hell the 4.4 actually works more in muh favor.....less cubes that the furd gauys and faggs like you cry about.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wasn't wrong....the northstar out powered furds 4.6 which is what was intended. I give no ***** if it was a 4.4 or a 4.6. Hell the 4.4 actually works more in muh favor.....less cubes that the furd gauys and faggs like you cry about.
You stated incorrect facts, that's called being wrong. Only reason they lowered the displacement was to increase strength, so no, the 4.6L wouldn't have out powered the ford version, because it would have blown up.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Again....you're making accusations you know nothing about. Now....say it with me. The smaller 4.4 northstar out powered furds best 4.6. Which is all that really matters.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Again....you're making accusations you know nothing about. Now....say it with me. The smaller 4.4 northstar out powered furds best 4.6. Which is all that really matters.
Say it with me, 4.4L is not 4.6L, so you were wrong.