Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My DD Audi S7 vs Jeep Trackhawk

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 208 Likes on 93 Posts

Default My DD Audi S7 vs Jeep Trackhawk

A little AWD on AWD crime at the local road. I've got a tune only Audi S7 (v8 with twins) and raced a Jeep Trackhawk (unknown mods). We had 3 messed up starts due to launch control issues and finally got a clean pass. I wasn't paying attention and was waiting for a flashlight start hence my 5sec reaction time.

We were fender to fender the whole way down and he may have put a bumper on me at the finish. We're def evenly matched!

Last edited by cdubbzz; 05-03-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:37 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Tight!
Old 04-29-2019, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Good run.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those Audi's get down when modded. Believe you can go with rs7 turbos but I also think Garret makes bigger turbos for your car iirc
Old 05-02-2019, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by "MAC"
Those Audi's get down when modded. Believe you can go with rs7 turbos but I also think Garret makes bigger turbos for your car iirc
Yeah they run great for as heavy as they are. Jeep said he ran 11.70's at the track 2wks prior.
Bringing my car to Stage 3 with RS7 turbos is a very straightforward process but gets spendy for running low 11's. **** they want $2k+ for catted downpipes for my platform and that's the cheapest out there. Guess I'll just stick with a tune.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Watched either an S6 or S7 go mid 11's a couple weeks ago and a trackhawk run a high 10. Both platforms are pretty stout!
Old 05-02-2019, 10:19 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Seen a couple RS7's run 10's with fairly basic mods, granted so do the RS3's.

Any other differences between S7/RS7 platform other then turbos that would impact ET, gearing, weight, etc?
Old 05-02-2019, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Seen a couple RS7's run 10's with fairly basic mods, granted so do the RS3's.

Any other differences between S7/RS7 platform other then turbos that would impact ET, gearing, weight, etc?
The S7/RS7 share the same platform (5 door sport hatch) and 4.0 V8 engine but the RS7 has bigger turbos, lower compression (9.3:1 vs 10:1) & different cam profiles. Tune only RS7's (Stage 1) generally run faster than S6/S7 with RS7 turbos (Stage 3) bc they can run more boost and have better cams

The true sleeper is the S8 which is a 4 door behemoth but has the RS7 turbo setup from the factory. They go low 11's with a tune only.

* I should add one of the best things about the "APR" tune is changing the tune from my phone (Valet mode/ 91/ 93/ Race Gas)

Last edited by cdubbzz; 05-02-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdubbzz
The S7/RS7 share the same platform (5 door sport hatch) and 4.0 V8 engine but the RS7 has bigger turbos, lower compression (9.3:1 vs 10:1) & different cam profiles. Tune only RS7's (Stage 1) generally run faster than S6/S7 with RS7 turbos (Stage 3) bc they can run more boost and have better cams

The true sleeper is the S8 which is a 4 door behemoth but has the RS7 turbo setup from the factory. They go low 11's with a tune only.

* I should add one of the best things about the "APR" tune is changing the tune from my phone (Valet mode/ 91/ 93/ Race Gas)
Is APR what you would recommend? I've been looking at s3 or GTI. I've seen a few different performance websites and looking on forums they speak about APR a lot just rather get another opinion is all. S7/RS7 are very nice I had the opportunity to drive both years ago when I detailed cars while in college.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is APR what you would recommend? I've been looking at s3 or GTI. I've seen a few different performance websites and looking on forums they speak about APR a lot just rather get another opinion is all. S7/RS7 are very nice I had the opportunity to drive both years ago when I detailed cars while in college.
IMO if you want one of the best performing tunes, reliability and have a set it and forget it attitude then APR is the way to go. It's not cheap but worth it for what you get. $1,500 and I picked up 125HP & 187lbs tq on 93 octane that's always there and nobody knows it.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:53 PM
8 Second Club

I’ve had many APR products they generally have great fitment on the hard parts but the tune is pretty soft. Plus they have almost zero or perhaps less then zero interest in customizing a tune for a customer who wants to mod outside of their stages. I went from APR to IE on my Golf R and its a pretty substantial difference in not only power but how its delivered and they will also send a one off tune for other mods which is awesome.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:56 PM
8 Second Club

I would think the higher compression would respond well to the larger turbos as long as fuel allowed it. Cool cars either way!
Old 05-02-2019, 07:01 PM
Banned

IMO if you want one of the best performing tunes, reliability and have a set it and forget it attitude then APR is the way to go. It's not cheap but worth it for what you get. $1,500 and I picked up 125HP & 187lbs tq on 93 octane that's always there and nobody knows it.
I’ve had many APR products they generally have great fitment on the hard parts but the tune is pretty soft. Plus they have almost zero or perhaps less then zero interest in customizing a tune for a customer who wants to mod outside of their stages. I went from APR to IE on my Golf R and its a pretty substantial difference in not only power but how its delivered and they will also send a one off tune for other mods which is awesome.
Seems like the forums lol it's also nuts that I can't find any aftermarket for cams, head work etc.. Like I can for American engines.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like the forums lol it's also nuts that I can't find any aftermarket for cams, head work etc.. Like I can for American engines.
That's why forums are a good place to debate, there's always more than one perspective! My experience is soley based on the S7 and not wanting to mess w/ the tune.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:54 AM
8 Second Club

That's why forums are a good place to debate, there's always more than one perspective! My experience is soley based on the S7 and not wanting to mess w/ the tune.
I agree with that, different price point! I would want the safe don't mess with it tune on that car as well.

I've had their Stage 1,2,3,3+ etc on the VW end of things.

It depends what you are looking for and what power level you are pursuing. Both APR and IE (Integrated Engineering) offer motorsports packages with built engines, ported heads, cams etc... IE also offers individual parts to do it yourself.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Banned

I agree with that, different price point! I would want the safe don't mess with it tune on that car as well.

I've had their Stage 1,2,3,3+ etc on the VW end of things.

It depends what you are looking for and what power level you are pursuing. Both APR and IE (Integrated Engineering) offer motorsports packages with built engines, ported heads, cams etc... IE also offers individual parts to do it yourself.
Very interesting ima have to check them out.