Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Found A Fast STI With A Good Driver!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found A Fast STI With A Good Driver!

Was out and about tonight looking for someone to run (its 39 degrees here so there isn't many people out in fast cars) and ran into a silver STI. I pulled up behind him at a light and followed for 100 feet or so, when I got next to him at about 40 he hit it, I wasn't ready and by the time the tires stopped spinning he was a good 4 cars ahead of me so I hit it and finally passed him (top of third) then shut it down because it was a residential area in 200 feet or so. He followed me around a series of turns that got us out to another 2 lane road, he passed me and pulled even. We yelled back a few times about where to run and we hit it on the third honk, I pulled about 3 cars on him (25-90) and we headed over to the area where we agreed to race. We pulled into the local parking lot and gave each other props on the few runs we had just made. Found out he has an engine management system, upgraded turbo, nitto's, bigger intercooler and a cat back minus the cat pre turbo.

We head out to the light where I usually race and we line up, I yell to him that this is where he hands me my *** due to my GSA's and the cold pavement, he laughed and said he put in two clutches in 30K from hard AWD launches! Anyways the light changes, and as I struggle for traction he has at least 3 cars on me...DAMN that was a good launch! So now I'm playing catch-up, 1st gear was useless so I short shifted to 2nd, ran out second and gained a car, hit third and I had gained another car and by the end of third I flew past him going about 10 MPH faster than him.

We stop at the next light and I ask him if he missed a gear, he said no and he turned his psi "Way the hell up" and said it would be closer this time and said that his last launch was perfect and it usually isn't....ok. Light turns green and he gets the early jump due to another incredible launch, mine wasn't as bad this time and when I shifted to second he had 2 cars on me. I hit third and got a nasty slide going (By the way when I power shift into second I leave at least 20 feet of rubber) get a bit sideways but counter fast so I stay almost straight, and again by the time I wound out third I passed him going at least 15 miles an hour faster and kept adding to my lead (about 5 cars by 105) then we both shut down.

I have never had an sti, wrx or evo launch that hard on me before, this kids combo and his driving was impressive. We pulled into a local pub parking lot and both got out, he was in shock that I could come back from that bad of a launch (Him 3-4 cars ahead) and I could still fly past him by 100. I on the other hand was not shocked that I beat him but was shocked again at how hard he launched that car! I don’t know if it was his car or his driving but every STI I have raced on the STREET has not been able to keep up by 5 or 6 car lengths behind me on anything from a roll. I have raced 5 or more from a light and they have only gotten 1 car on me by the top of first, then I usually start running past them in every other gear.

To sum up....I almost had to bow down to an STI...almost. From a roll...never but this kid could launch this thing hard and for that he gets props. Time for some mods and a tire that can hook!

Thanks for reading my long story!!
Old 11-06-2004, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good kill mate.
just out of curiosity how do you guys get stock factory cars to run low 13s.
our holdens stock with the same gears are low 14s,and no it's not the drivers ?
Old 11-06-2004, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
good kill mate.
I think it is the track here in epping new hampshire, new england dragway. People that run here are always faster stock than in other parts of the country. When they have NHRA events the racers always have to dial in a lower e.t. so its probable a combo of good air and track prep on event days because street nights suck, I cant break 13.2 on a street night due to prep.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Good Kill, sounds like the driver was not so good though. An STi with those mods should have no problem taking out a very lightly modded LS1.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice kill man, sounds like some good racing. Glad he seemed to be a cool guy too, makes it much more fun!

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
good kill mate.
Could be the weather, track conditions, timing equipment (precision measured, laser beam activated) and fuel quality.

My 99 WS-6 ran a 12.95 @ 106 TOTALLY stock with a 150 lb. stereo system in the trunk (I told everybody it helped traction, 1.9x 60 foot times on the factory installed BadYears)

Could be the drivers

Taco
Old 11-06-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteTXMach
Good Kill, sounds like the driver was not so good though. An STi with those mods should have no problem taking out a very lightly modded LS1.
this is basically what what i am referring to,on the street with street tyres i have beaten many standed WRX's by 6 odd car lengths,a 20 odd psi evo can just take me, i don't have nittos, at the track street meets no compound or track bite's used,i just can,t get traction even starting in 3rd.
I know i'll just have to bring it over to you guys, hey LastYearZ28 wanna race?

LastYearZ28's reply, he's having me on right! help guys! seen his sig can i win.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

There are many things I could do to get more traction but I have not needed it before, I think it was because the street was almost frozen at 39 degrees or less. I have a mustang that on street tires runs a 10.23 and I can launch better than any AWD car I have seen because the suspension is set up for weight transfer but my camaro is not. I still have the front sway bar in place and everything because its stock and I dont want to change anything until I have money to change everything!

I got another race yesterday when it was 58 out and the launch was a hell of a lot closer, by the top of 1st he had a car on me and by 140 I had 5 cars on him so it was much closer than the other night. We were even at 45 and then I kept pulling a car or so every 20 mph so again it was much closer I think because when the air quality and temp is below 50 my car beats my friend car who always kicks my *** and runs a 12.6 on streets so there is something there.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Race...did someone say race!!! Sure if your ever in the area but it seems like more than a day trip to me! I never turn down a race, like I said I have beaten faster heavily modded cars on the street because they can't drive for crap, always end up side stepping into my lane or blowing the launch!

See you guys on the street
Old 11-07-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LastYearZ28
Race...did someone say race!!! Sure if your ever in the area but it seems like more than a day trip to me! I never turn down a race, like I said I have beaten faster heavily modded cars on the street because they can't drive for crap, always end up side stepping into my lane or blowing the launch!

See you guys on the street

I'll try to get to your place this after noon, don't start with out me now.
my car is also set for street, front to rear transfer just doesn't happen.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Awesome read..

Good kill!
Old 11-08-2004, 05:50 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

2 clutches in 30k makes me wanna cry that has to be expensive but i agree it is cool to meet someone who knows how to drive that thing and bad *** come from behind victory
Old 11-08-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

was it a STI or just a wrx? i thought all sti's were blue
Old 11-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

one question.....what were your traps on the 2 runs you had listed?

not calling bs or anything....but depending on the turbo upgrade he had, he would be traping 110+ (around 118 with a decent turbo).

Just trying to do the math, a 13 second car against a mid 11 second car (if it was truly modded) and you had him by 5 car lengths to 105 after losing until 3rd?

I'm probably just missing something ...so don't take this as a personal attack (I hate having to make that statement...but some may take this the wrong way)

It's unfortunate, but with the relatively small # of STi's out there (3800 in 2004) there are quite a few misconceptions @ the car. (some are way too generous...others are way too stingy).

I have been on both sides of the fence ....there are pros and cons to every car.