Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 Formula VS 03 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Formula VS 03 Cobra

I'm new here, so I'm not sure what Forum to post in...

I'm just looking for suggestions on what I need to do to take out an 03 Cobra - And how to do it without blowing my engine/drivtrain hehe.

One thing I've looked at is that STS remote turbo... that seems like a decent idea, with 315/35/17 nitto 555r on the rear.

From what I can tell, that could take me to high 400hp, but I'm unsure of what I need to do so my drivetrain and frame can hold the extra power.

I know I want to stay away from nitrous for the time being, I want constant power.

Last thing - Try not to be too harsh! As the ls1 is quite new to me, I'm not entirely sure where I should start and end -

Here's what I have now:
99 Formula M6 !FRA !EGR American Thunder cat-back (maybe a bad idea)
Old 07-06-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New rear end, 400 horse will pop the rear end quickly, especially with the 315 nittos. forced induction is not a bad idea though, these cars respond well to it, while im not big on ford products the blown 03 cobra is a pretty mean car.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends how modded he is. If it's stock it's not all that hard, but if it has chip, pulley, exhaust, etc and a good driver they can move. I hear the IRS gives them hell at the strip, and they are heavy, but man do they make some power.

If he has any real mods you will probably have to go with a power adder of your own, or a ***** out NA application. Start searching. See what mods people in the 11 second club (preferably the lower half of) guys have. I wouldn't feel safe going against an 03/04 Cobra that I didn't know was stock or basically stock unless I was running some pretty good times.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Xenotaj
I'm new here, so I'm not sure what Forum to post in...

I'm just looking for suggestions on what I need to do to take out an 03 Cobra - And how to do it without blowing my engine/drivtrain hehe.

One thing I've looked at is that STS remote turbo... that seems like a decent idea, with 315/35/17 nitto 555r on the rear.

From what I can tell, that could take me to high 400hp, but I'm unsure of what I need to do so my drivetrain and frame can hold the extra power.

I know I want to stay away from nitrous for the time being, I want constant power.

Last thing - Try not to be too harsh! As the ls1 is quite new to me, I'm not entirely sure where I should start and end -

Here's what I have now:
99 Formula M6 !FRA !EGR American Thunder cat-back (maybe a bad idea)
add a lid, filter, gear and a stall (if auto equipped) and a set of longtubes and you should be able to beat a stock '03.

But beware, simply adding a pulley, longtubes, and CAI to the cobra and you'll be back at square one. If i were you i wouldnt focus on beating an '03 cobra... rather focus on making your car fast as you like. The wins will follow.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jay_Dogg
add a lid, filter, gear and a stall (if auto equipped) and a set of longtubes and you should be able to beat a stock '03.

But beware, simply adding a pulley, longtubes, and CAI to the cobra and you'll be back at square one. If i were you i wouldnt focus on beating an '03 cobra... rather focus on making your car fast as you like. The wins will follow.
That's good advice
Old 07-07-2005, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

lt's, lid ,u/d pulley, dr's, stall (if you're a4), spec 3 clutch (if you're m6), sfc's, panhard rod, lca's and if you ever plan on dead hooking save yourself the trouble and get a 12 bolt. Or you could go G5X4 cam, th400, 12 bolt, slicks and a 150 wet shot and be very very fast.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

150shot....nuff said!!!

no seriously...you wont find any "stock" cobras anymore...unless its an old guy out for a cruise...they are all modded...doesnt take much to get 450rwhp out of those.
one thing...stay away from the perticurly loud whining ones...they would be KB cobras...nothing to mess with...know your place if you hear/see one of those..trust us.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jay_Dogg

#1 adding gear to a stalled car is pretty much worthless
#2 a full exhaust, lid ls1 can beat a stock cobra
#3 the guy has an m6 so it dosnt matter

As for an m6. Lts and full bolt ons will put you ahead of a stock one. Throw in some gears, a cam, and some heads if you want to run the lightly modded ones. After that your going to have to go power adder. While our cars make great gains from bolt ons their cars make insane gains from the same mods.

BTW if your looking at paying for a turbo kit also look into a stroaker, 408 ls2 setups can be had relatively cheaply and make insane power.

Last edited by KCamaro; 07-07-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im sure you guys can name a person or two that had that few of mods on thier LS1 and beat a 03-04 cobra but i couldnt. I have macs headers y pipe, catback, 12 bolt with 3.73's ported TB and MAF and he could stay even with me when he was in 4th and i was in 3rd. Like the other said though there aint many, if any, cibras left stock that you iwll also get to race you. More then likely you will need 500 horse to keep up with any cobra as it costs them 1k to get 450 hp. GL man. I can tell you from experience there is a price to be paid to beat a modded one, let alone a KB cobra but when you do the look on thier dumbass faces is priceless. They get thier we cant be beat attitude crushed adn ya dont see them on the road for a week or so. Lickin thier wounds at home. GL man

John
Old 07-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCamaro
#1 adding gear to a stalled car is pretty much worthless
#2 a full exhaust, lid ls1 can beat a stock cobra
#3 the guy has an m6 so it dosnt matter

As for an m6. Lts and full bolt ons will put you ahead of a stock one. Throw in some gears, a cam, and some heads if you want to run the lightly modded ones. After that your going to have to go power adder. While our cars make great gains from bolt ons their cars make insane gains from the same mods.

BTW if your looking at paying for a turbo kit also look into a stroaker, 408 ls2 setups can be had relatively cheaply and make insane power.
Maybe where you're at a full exhaust and lid only LS1 can take down a blown cobra, but i havent seen it here. I think with the lid and exhaust only he'd be playing russian roulette, as in he may beat one, he may not. And as someone else stated, its a little hard to find any 03-04 that doesnt have at least a couple bolt ons... and the fact that 1k in mods turn those cars pretty insane from a stock point of view, hes better off just modding his car to his hearts content rather than focusing on outrunning a mustang.

Not flaming you, im a former mustang owner (9 of them) and i chose my TA over an '03 cobra.