Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

TT 8sec 69 camaro vs 10 sec 93 coupe ($5k bet)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 05:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT 8sec 69 camaro vs 10 sec 93 coupe ($5k bet)

This is going to be a very very interesting race to watch. The 69 twin turbo camaro has gone a best of 8.49@170mph and the red coupe mustang has gone a best of 10.62@132mph. however, here is the catch:
the mustang will get a 10 car lead and the jump. Both cars will be on drag radials (not slicks) and if you move, you lose. this is for five thousand dollars and the money will be given to someone to make sure it goes the the winner.
who do you think is going to win?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mustang given the circumstances. The TT Camaro is never going to hook 1500hp on DR's. Light's out.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:25 AM
11 Second Club

Old 07-28-2005, 06:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

thats what i am thinking, but this camaro has never lost on the street. it walks on almost anything that has been out here. thats a 40mph difference in e.t. if the mustangs sits and eats sh@t for too long let me tell you that i can get ugly for the stang. i will be there to record it for sure.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Then again..."Big Daddy" Guthridge has gone 170mph on DR's. They were ET Street radials of course, but they are a DR. Maybe that's the tire Mr. TT Camaro is going to run.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Remind me not to be anywhere near this race. I street race from time to time, but an 8 second 170+ mph car? Way more courage than I could muster! Be sure to post a vid!
Old 07-28-2005, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When it this going to happen?
Old 07-28-2005, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

I've seen that Camaro run at Moroso and it's NASTY! My vote is for the Camaro, even if he doesn't dead hook he's got to much MPH up top.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

it will take place saturday night. if it doesnt rain of course. yes, i think the camaro is running those tires mentioned above. i think for 5 grand he cant afford to have no traction. the mustang crew that owns that coupe with the 03 cobra motor swap and kenne bell supercharger is sh@tting bricks as we speak. they know that the smallest delay or falling asleep will cost them 5 grand. Just for the record this camaro ran a hayabusa with a turbo and walked the busa to about 180mph. nobody has seen this car lose a race yet and this guy has made lots of money with this car. the guy in the hayabusa lost 3 grand to the camaro and he never came back to try to win the money back. I was talking to the scandalous racing crew about the camaro so they can bring the white supra down to miami this december when they do the hot import nights here in south beach. I mentioned the white supra to this guy and he said he would definetely run it, but rolling since he knows the supra is no slouch and he of course knows that he wont hook on the street which would cost him against the supra.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NumberOneSled
I've seen that Camaro run at Moroso and it's NASTY! My vote is for the Camaro, even if he doesn't dead hook he's got to much MPH up top.
You ever see what happens to a car like that when it can't find traction? It'll spin to about 140mph then it'll get out of shape badly if he's loose at all. There's no saving it at that point.

I would stand behind the starting line on this race. **** gets out of control quick when cars with 'chutes are racing on the street.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:51 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
You ever see what happens to a car like that when it can't find traction? It'll spin to about 140mph then it'll get out of shape badly if he's loose at all. There's no saving it at that point.

I would stand behind the starting line on this race. **** gets out of control quick when cars with 'chutes are racing on the street.
good advice....Hell even with my slow *** 10 second car, things happen really fast...10 car's is a great lead...figure 130 feet or so...I might even take him up on that kind of race if everything was legitimate, no extreme track prep on the street (no torches, no vht, just a little sweeping would be OK)but $5k is a lot on a single race. I would probably do it for $1K though. Of course I have to actually get my car running this week to think about racing it.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

here there is no sweeping, mopping, nothing lol.. it is get there, prep your tires, burnout and cross your finger that the other guy spins so you can gain land and hopefully catch up and pass him. i wll tell you one thing though, the mustang is very fast and it has an excellent driver, but when that freight train is coming behind you all you can hope is that your motor doesnt blow since you LOSE if your motor blows too.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

jw, how did you hear about two races like this in one night? im not calling BS, but its a lil od that in one night you even find out about a race with a 9 second car vs a 10 second car, but two in the same night?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

the first race is tomorrow night..which is the z28 vs cobra and the other one is on saturday night.. this group of people hang out together so the races were set up tuesday night..
Old 07-28-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

We definitely need a vid for this. Downloadable too, not at video.ls1tech or whatever. People with slow internet connections still exist, lol.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

i am down to record with my dig camera, but the only problem is that at night it is usually bad quality. these places are dark as hell including tomorrow's race on the interstate. i will do my best though, but without a fast car to at least keep up it will be hard to record a good race..whats the best angle though? from behind or just to the side of the race and record them fly by?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213

Very true, but this guy is a well known street racer who apperently has never lost on the street. I'm sure the guy can get the car to hook up some how. Also, look at guys like Marko D, his car traps 165+ and he seems to be hooking on the street. Like I said, you make a very good point because I guess it's hit or miss with trying to put that kind of power to the ground on the street. I wish I could be in south florida this weekend to watch this go down. whitecamaross, if you could get this on vid that would be awesome! Unit, I know there are plenty of 03-04 Cobras with Kenne Bells going 130+ but I would think in a much lighter coupe this guy would have a little more mph than 133 what do you think?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you have the nuts, tape it from half way down the "track". Just realize that if one or both lose control and wreck that you could be DRT. Just try to hide behind a thick tree trunk if you can, lol. It would be bad for the drivers of course but if they wrecked that would make one hell of a video. Especially if you were right there by them.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

That's why so many guys are running turbo set-ups now for the street. We've got a guy here locally that had an orange coupe a few years ago with a 347/110mm turbo set-up that 8.6's at 160+. He ran it on the street all the time. Had a glide with ET Streets though. It wouldn't leave as hard as some of the cars with bigger motors + nitrous, but it would almost always catch them about 1/8 mile. That's the nice thing about having a nice turbo set-up, you CAN usually get it to hook pretty good on the street. Our guy never really had any major problems with it getting squirrelly up top except for once or twice where we raced on shitty roads that we shouldn't have.

I would almost instictively go for the Camaro if I knew what kind kind of set up he was running and knew he could hook. I don't know about doing it on DR's though. Our guy always ran on ET Streets....

Get a vid for sure.......

Jon
Old 07-28-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

This guy should go and kick the **** out of the Evo that's prancing around there