Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

One fast civic

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One fast civic

Long story made only slighlty shorter, two weeks ago coming home from a friends shop, one of the owners was driving along side me in one of his employees cars... a very basic looking Civic, with steel rims dinged up body, whatever. Now I know it is fast car, and the owners of the shop keep saying its a fast car (they both drive 9 and 10 sec street legal SSs, you do know who they are from the boards) but when this thing goes... holy smokes.

Its got a built 94 Prelude motor, turbo setup. I've been told it runs low 12's at some ridiculous mph (130 something???), and that it would be a 10sec car if it could ever find traction.

We had 3 runs from a stoplight (the only time I pray for red lights) the first two he walked all over me, not even a chance in hell my stockk SS was keeping up, on the 3rd run I got the jump because he was spinning, but over the distance he would have most certainly blown right past me.

Needless to say I broke a bunch of stuff in my stock rear end with a missed downshift while slowing down, thank bejesus for the extended warranty.

Thats one fast civic, and you would never know to look at it.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

I hate cars like that! Doesn't make you feel too good when your built motor thats 3 times the size of theirs struggles to beat, or loses to a puny little 4 popper.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

A while back some streetracing buddies and I went up to a spot out of town to hang. One of our guys had a bolt-on 4v Cobra ('98) with spray. The guy drove the car everyday and it was by no means one of our "fast" cars. It ran high 11's @ 118ish on a DR. We had just come to hang out.

Anyway, there was this broke down looking early '90s Civic HB that came up there trying to get a race. No one would bite. So we walk over and set something up. One run for $100. Guy with the Honda started it up and and it sounded like he had a terrible miss. At this point we're like, "easy money".

We get out to the spot, our guy does his burn out, and we wait for the Honda to do something. The guy flips open a laptop and hits a few keys and all of the sudden that "missing" pos came to life. Idle came right up and it started camming. "Ok, so it might have a little work done...it's still a Honda."

Flagman drops his hands and the Civic leaves right with our guy in the 'Stang. They go through the finish with our buddy behind about a greyhound and steadily loosing ground when shut down.

Found out later that the Civic runs solid 10's @ 130ish with a built motor/turbo/spray.

Gotta love those sleepers...

Jon