Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

The LT1 has some fun...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The LT1 has some fun...

Originally posted on Thirdgen.org by me.

Last night was very curious. It all started with me receiving a BS ticket for "running" a "red" light, then "driving on a 1 way street" then I got a correctable for not having a valid insurance card. Needless to say, that one is going to court soon.

It's a dark, cold night. The wind is blowing ever so slightly, and traffic is light. I had just received my ticket, and decided to take a little drive. To happen upon a willing opponent on this evening would be unlikely, and even more unlikely to be a Third generation Camaro IROC-Z. But he wasn't the only one the bird would meet this evening, on the otherwise uneventful ride home....

***Intermission! Cast of Charactors:***
Images intended for representation only - may not resemble actual product

1994 Pontiac Trans Am - White with a blue stripe
350 LT1, stock block, heads and cam.
Cat back, cat delete.
Free mods.
100 lbs weight reduction.
Best run so far: 13.96@100.5 with a wonderful 2.19 60 ft.

-----

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Red
355 Gen 1 SBC, TPI induction, new stock 89 bottom end, vortec heads, small cam. Full exhaust through Flowmasters.
Best run so far: 14.1@97.

-----

1989 Ford Mustang GT - White
302 5.0L Ford block. Aftermarket intake, ported heads, small Ford Racing cam - slightly lopey. Full exhaust, aftermarket but unknown gears.
Best run to date: 14.0@96.

-----

Early 90's Honda CRX - Black
Something about a JDM and boost.
Best time to date: Dunno, but he's got some oomph.

***Back to the story!***

Chapter 1: The Foxbody

As I turned right onto Contra Costa Blvd., I noticed a set of headlights coming up in the mirror. I dismissed it, giving myself a hard time that it might be another cop. Shortly the lights reached my car and came to about 5 feet off of my bumper. By this time it was obvious what they were.. my hated enemy.. 'Stang lights. I quickly identified them as Foxbody lights, and hoped it was a 5.0. I switched to the fast lane and slowed up a little, allowing him to pull alongside. His car was a white hardtop GT. Looked decently well taken care of, but definetly showed the signs of wear on it. Probably a near 130ish K miles paint job. The boy driving looked about 16 or 17, but one quick glance told me he was game.

The light ahead of us turned yellow, like it was meant to be. We both slowed up side by side for the light, and our windows were down, music off. We chatted for a second, and he told me a little about his ride. The lope in his exhaust note was evident. We decided to run them, and no cops were present. Believe me, I checked!!

The cross lights turned yellow, and I stalled the T/A up to about 500 rpm, getting ready to shock the driveline into moving. He may have stalled his, but it was difficult to hear over the rumble of the Trans Am's apocalyptic doom exhaust. The light went green, and I launched. My tires spun badly - street tires on cold ground isn't exactly a great match. Fortunatly he spun as well, but caught more traction than I did. I had a jump of about a foot off the line. We held it neck and neck for about 40 feet, then the T/A slowly started pulling. By the top of first gear his nose was at my quarter, with me slightly ahead. By the top of second he was at my rear quarter, and by third the T/A clearly had the victory. We shut down, and exchanged thumbs up.

Chapter 2: The Camaro

I pulled onto Market St. after circling around from the 'Stang incident. It was dark and difficult to see on this road - it looked like 3 or 4 of the street lights had gone out. In the distance I make out taillights and they look vaguely familiar. As I get closer I realize they're thirdgen lights, and I hurry to the light to see if it's someone I may know. No such luck, I think to myself as I see it's just a man, about 23 or 24 in his beautiful '86 IROC-Z. This light, being notoriously slow, allowed us to talk momentarily. He told me about his car, and I about mine. We decide to run them. We check for cops, and the game is afoot.

My launch this time, unlike my last run with the 'Stang, is purely GOLDEN. A chirp and I'm gone. Maybe the tire gods were with me. He spins and smokes them, and by the top of first he's at my back quarter panel. By second I have a length, by third I have three. We shut down and I compliment him on his clean ride. Nice to see such a beautiful thirdgen around here. It looked like a new paintjob, extremely close to the one in the picture.

Chapter 3: The CRX

After my amusment with the 'Stang and the IROC I had decided I wasted enough of my $3.11 a gallon 91 octane liquid gold, and decided to head home. I head down Willow Pass Rd. and near the local Tower Records. This particular store is also a ***** hangout. Sometimes there's someone fast there, but usually just kids with little better to do than tell everyone that their stock '91 Civic CRX SiR is fast. Right. Faster than a moped maybe. Maybe.

On this particular night I noticed a few cars in the lot, and decided to pull in. They all appeared to be imports as I neared the group in the center of the lot. I stepped out and talked for a second, with little better to do. One of the guys offers to run me, claiming to be the only fast one. I queried him as to what was in his car, intending to run no matter what, and he said "a JDM swap and some boost." Okay, he wasn't going to volunteer more, but I figured I'd race. I was expecting it to be pretty close, knowing the kinds of kids around here (broke ones). I was actually pleasantly surprised that someone had modded his import correctly.

We lined up on a backroad, and went from a flag. He spun hard out of the hole (FWD I imagine) and I spun slightly then hooked. I took it out in front in first gear, with his front fender at my door. When we came into second, he started pulling. And pulling. And pulling. By the time we got to the top of third, he had about 2 cars on me.

He said he had put some serious cash into the car, but he liked it. He threw out the number of 12k in parts, not counting labor. He didn't want to tell me more or pop the hood. He said he might "lose cash in the races." He also said he was on extremely low boost for his setup, and had the ability to pump it up a LOT more. I told him I wouldn't know what it was even if I saw it, but he still said no to popping the hood. We complimented each other's rides, and parted ways.

All in all, a fun night. Unexpected, but fun.

***Disclaimer: All the preceding was computer generated. If you are a member of the governement or any law enforcement agency you are not allowed to read this. Eat me.***
Old 09-15-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

yeah, that does sound like all-in-all a fun night, with the exception of the ticket(s)
Old 09-18-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now put on a 150 shot and go look for the honda...Nice kills/death
Old 09-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Launching!

attack of the 14second cars.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude... you were in concord? i used to go to that tower records all the time when i had my Z28, one time i was laying rubber all the way around tower records, then some cops saw me, so i got parked my car and got out, and they towed my car but i didnt get a ticket. i know tower is like ricer city but its really the only thing concord has to offer. do you go there very often?