Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I hate Evos

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I tried to explain. Before the HP is even at the flywheel, a massive loss of energy, of you will, occurs, then you get whats left of that energy at the flywheel, then more loss through drivetrain then you finally get wheel power. Good point about the sport compact car test, lol.
Originally Posted by Var
This horsepower loss argument doesn't mean anything cause you guys are using different words to say the exact same thing. I think it's just a misunderstanding.

First of all horsepower is not "lost" before the flywheel. It never existed. The engine never made it because the internal combustion process is only about 33% efficient. THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH DRIVETRAIN LOSS...it's about thermal efficiency.

If the internal combustion engine was more efficient, we'd see more power at the flywheel, and at the wheels. But all modern engine are about the same efficiency..whether it be the LS1 or the 4G63. I dont see why you guys are arguing about this...

if you are comparing which engine is better, then that's a lost cause too that can be argued for years with no resolve.

Some people talk bad about LS1's cause they are pushrod. But they are lightweight, cheap, get good gas mileage, make great power and torque, and it's external dimensions are pretty small compared to an OHC motor of the same displacement. They easily fit into a lot of 4-cylinder engine bays.

I think the displacement of the engine is not as important as it's external dimensions,weight, cost, reliability, driveability,modability, and availbility.

and to add to the Pushrod haters...Sport Compact Car did a "time attack" shootout and one of the rules was "No pushrods". I wonder why...hmmm.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton

I think it puts more than 33% of it's power to the ground, else it would only be making circa 99whp on a 300bhp motor.
Actually he is right(at least on this part). From a thermodynamic standpoint, about2/3rds of an engines output is wated in the form of heat out the radiator. only 33% of the energy released by each explosion is harnesed by the motion of the piston. This is true of every petrol engine around right now.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Nwmembr19]if you dont think an engine only uses about 30 percent of the power made maybe you need to retake physics. I believe 30 percent goes out the exhaust and 30 percent is wasted through the cooling system. Now out of the measurable horsepower that you get from an engine usually 12 to 20 percent gets used up getting the power to the ground. which only leaves about 30 percent that actually gets used.

Bingo, thats what I forgot..all the waste out the exsaust itself...

try making an argument when you actually know what you are talking about dumbass. you dont think an ls series engine cant take 30 psi you must not be aware that the new record for an ls powered vehicle is 6.8 with 32 psi from twin 80mm. So now i have proven you wrong again moron. Also i did not say the engine had no camshafts. Can you read?

Can you? He said stock. Never the less, the whole boost-as-a-measure of airflow thing is stupid. 30 PSI on a TD05 16G is probably less airflow than 20 PSI on some FP3065 drag monster. That said, try runing 25 psi from virtually any turbo on a stock LS1 and you will be blowing the crap out of things in short order. You will also make like 600 wheel for a short period of time. I would like a video and a ride if anyone chooses to do this. [QUOTE]
Old 10-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
and 300bhp/ton you make good arguments but you love to bring in F1 engines and such, which I know your trying to make a point, but honestly how does that even apply as those are engines that have been built and tested for god knows how long and have god knows how much research/technology/ money in them, so they have no relevance to production engines such in LSX powered vehicles and EVO's. Im sure those engines wont run 100,000 miles with just basic maintenence done to them like an LSX or EVO engine will.
Interesting sidenote, GM spent as much time(years), money(at least an 8 figure number..Ive heard up to the better part of a billion), and talent (ask some ME guys) on creating the LSx motors as any other hi-po motor on the planet. More than Mitsu put into the latest 4g63s for sure. I can not figure out where this idea that the LS is less modern comes from. DOHC has been around for many decades. Knock sensors are nothing new. Variable timing is not new, in either spark curves or in valve timing. An engine the size/weight of the average V6 putting 1bhp per pound motor indicated more advanced tech, not less.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sparetire
hat said, try runing 25 psi from virtually any turbo on a stock LS1 and you will be blowing the crap out of things in short order. You will also make like 600 wheel for a short period of time. I would like a video and a ride if anyone chooses to do this.
Heh, on an LS1, for 600 rwhp, all you need is 10 psi, not 25.

Anything over 20 psi on an FI LS1, and you are well over 1k rwhp given the right oil system, PCV, head bolts, cooling, high octane/race gas, forged internals, etc. of course, OR you will be "blowing the crap out of things."
Old 10-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Teching In

pressure is irrelevant, CFM is key.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Teching In

also, you mentioned how the evo's race development here in the states has only been current for the last 2.5 years...but i forgot to point out: the quickest 05 gt is running 9s already~right beside your evo's quickest. how long have they had to r&d the 3v mustangs? and besides, how long has the 4g63 been running the u.s. streets? bottom line, every motor has pros/cons, but in the big scheme of things- 4g63's have far less potential than lsx motors -for drag racing. if they didn't, i'd be saying the opposite. i have nothing against imports- i drive a nissan to work. facts of life.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by evo_killer
also, you mentioned how the evo's race development here in the states has only been current for the last 2.5 years...but i forgot to point out: the quickest 05 gt is running 9s already~right beside your evo's quickest. how long have they had to r&d the 3v mustangs? and besides, how long has the 4g63 been running the u.s. streets? bottom line, every motor has pros/cons, but in the big scheme of things- 4g63's have far less potential than lsx motors -for drag racing. if they didn't, i'd be saying the opposite. i have nothing against imports- i drive a nissan to work. facts of life.

the quickest 4g63 is running low 8s..high 7s if my mind serves me correctly.

edit: I just looked it up....fastest dsm with a 4g63 is john shepard with a 7.97.
fastest 4g63 powered car is brent rau at a 6.90....whats the fastest ls1?

his 7.97 run

http://www.shepracing.com/videos/Shep797.wmv

http://www.shepracing.com/index.html

Last edited by BrandonDrecksage; 10-30-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:26 PM
Teching In

nope, shep's awd still running low 8s. there might be quicker 4g63's out there- i dunno- but sheperd's is a real street car/not tube chassis. as for the quickest full weight ls1/lt1 cars, well you know...
Old 10-30-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

nope, shep's awd still running low 8s. there might be quicker 4g63's out there- i dunno- but sheperd's is a real street car/not tube chassis. as for the quickest full weight ls1/lt1 cars, well you know...
I edited my post...my question..what is the fastest ls1 powered car...not lt1...ls1. full weight..and tube car?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Var
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
I edited my post...my question..what is the fastest ls1 powered car...not lt1...ls1. full weight..and tube car?
That's irrelevant. Having a fast drag car says nothing about which engine is better.

btw i think it's high 6 second range..but again who cares?

Old 10-30-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Var
That's irrelevant. Having a fast drag car says nothing about which engine is better.

btw i think it's high 6 second range..but again who cares?

i'm just making a point since peopel claim the 4g63 is garbage...with no potential.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fastest full weight is high 7s, fastest tube is 6s

FWIW, the LS1 has run low 8s on a stock crank and block.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:26 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This could help too .... ALL motor (Naturally Aspirated) LS1 ... 8's.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...st+ls1+powered
Old 10-31-2005, 12:26 AM
Launching!

i'm just making a point since peopel claim the 4g63 is garbage...with no potential.

Whats that shitty Fram oil filter doing on that sweet engine?
Old 10-31-2005, 07:54 AM
Teching In

yeah in fact rau JUST did that 6.9 pass about a month ago at nearly 200 mph.

if you cant respect that coming from a 4 cylinder then you are just plain silly.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:07 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FRAM sucks, use WIX And man, any motor can do pretty much anything, it all depends on how much $$ you got in ya pockets. Seriously, the guy who built my car also built a 460ci AWD Pinto...why? because someone wanted one, and moreover, wanted to PAY for one. As to "potential" "most efficient" "most advanced" Who cares? My car uses rather old technology. ie. single cam, pushrods,no knock sensors, etc. etc. etc. but it makes 340hp and it only cost me 3200 delivered to my door including intake manifold, RR 16. upgrade, probe forged pistons, and headers. Did i get the baddest thing on the planet...erm...no, but hell, 340hp out of a brand new motor with a warrenty, im happy. run what you brung, dont sit around saying "so and so with my motor could beat so and so with your motor..." Because guess what? my dad could beat up your dad , so pffft
Old 10-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

btw, i prolly make at least 275 rwhp and that means over 800hp is TRULY being created by my beastly little 302, WAVER IN AWE!!!!!!!! (that is an interesting thought, and yeah, it makes since, but please, PLEASE, dont tell any ricers about the laws of thermodynamics...then we would have MUCH **** to listen to about 1000hp neons and the like.)
Old 10-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Launching!

That time was not an a 3V ASFAIK. It was on a Windsor based 306 that had already been used in another car (which ran 8s).
Old 10-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Heh, on an LS1, for 600 rwhp, all you need is 10 psi, not 25.

Anything over 20 psi on an FI LS1, and you are well over 1k rwhp given the right oil system, PCV, head bolts, cooling, high octane/race gas, forged internals, etc. of course, OR you will be "blowing the crap out of things."
If you use an inefficient turbo or SC you will be actually losing power as you up the boost due the massive amounts of heat your creating which negate the extra bit of air from more pressure. I can absolutely see some jack *** try to run 25psi on a LSx with some 14bs he got off old DSMs and detonate the motor to an early grave (without making much power relatively). Ive seen idiot 2G DSM kids do that. We in the DSM community have no shortage of entertainment from members. The price you pay for having really cheap performance. Just wait untill you see 5K LSX cars available eveywhere. You will see some of the most distressingly stupid crap imaginable being done to these cars. I am not looking forward to seeing it.

But that said, yeah, its really interesting how it takes more to run high boost on a big motor, but the big motor needs less boost for a given goal. IMHO the ideal displacement is somewhere in the 330CI range (with an oversquare motor) to make the best all around race machine.