Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Dont Go 155!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 09:52 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn. If that is real, wow. I could only imagine what was going through the head of the guy riding the bike a split second before impact.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Damn. If that is real, wow. I could only imagine what was going through the head of the guy riding the bike a split second before impact.
mmm, probably something like..."man, i was so close to 160"
or maybe
"i hate peanuts"
Old 11-01-2005, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cephiros
mmm, probably something like..."man, i was so close to 160"
or maybe
"i hate peanuts"
Old 11-01-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

on a side note, i dont really think thats real... for one, how would they have gotten the bodies out w/o touching the way the wreck is (3 people involved means somone was IN that passenger seat), and for two, lets say they managed to get those people out, the car is spic and span clean, the amount of blood and guts in that car that form of cleanness wouldn't be possable, blood stains, you know and if your using solvents strong enough to get it all out, it woudl have eaten some of that plastic/castrol striping

no, i think that was either designed like that somehow, or more likely somehow they launched a bike into the side of the car and called it a crash at 155 mph with 3 casualties

edit: typo's typo's everywhere and not a dictionary to use.

Last edited by Cephiros; 11-01-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

actually, bike could have not disintegrated precisely because of the high speed and extremely high force of impact

think of it the same way as trying to break a brick with your hand
either your hand breaks, or the brick.

with enough force - the bike could be completely unharmed, virtually cutting through metal.....

physics..
Old 11-01-2005, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Or not
Old 11-01-2005, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by firechicken2k
actually, bike could have not disintegrated precisely because of the high speed and extremely high force of impact

think of it the same way as trying to break a brick with your hand
either your hand breaks, or the brick.

with enough force - the bike could be completely unharmed, virtually cutting through metal.....

physics..

I don't think so. The bike would have to slice through the pass side door, and being an older model car, that most likely is a heavy steel door with a big steal reinforcing bar inside of it. That bike would've sustained significantly more damage (while it is possible the back of the bike would may be intact). I understand where you're going with your comment, but you have to have a few different aspects, including speed and mass. If you try to punch the driveway with your hand instead of a brick, you'll break your hand everytime. The driveway has much more mass than your hand does. I don't think a bike has the mass to sheer through an entire car without disinegrating, even with the velocity it would have had.

The fact that they got the bodies out and left the bike in there is definately suspect, but who knows if the bodies would be remotely intact, or even still inside the vehicle ...

Also, if you look at the passenger side door jam ... one would assume that if the bike hit into the closed door, the only way the door would be able to go would obviously be Into the vehicle, which I would think would significantly bend the door jam inward ... however it seems fine, as if someone just removed the door.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Racehead
I've seen these photo's before and to me it either looks rigged or the speeds weren't anywhere near 155 mph. Too much un-harmed bodywork on that bike for a 155 mph crash IMO. In a 155 mph crash ALL plastic pieces would be blown off the bike by the shock imo
Well since it smashed into the car it might have transfered some of the impact of the bike to the car. The front of the bike took the brunt of the impact leaving the back of the bike sticking out like a tail.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I have only one question.... Who clocked the bike at exactly 155mph??? It might have been a real accident, but I doubt they asked the rider how fast he was traveling on impact.... Could have been pratically ANY highway speed...
Old 11-03-2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
I have only one question.... Who clocked the bike at exactly 155mph??? It might have been a real accident, but I doubt they asked the rider how fast he was traveling on impact.... Could have been pratically ANY highway speed...
I believe they can deduce the speed by investigating the scene. Things like the length of tire skid marks, impact damage, and the scattering of debris could all be combined to determine the velocity, or least a rough estimate. Either way, I'm sure they can most certainly tell the difference between a 60mph crash, and a 155mph crash.

Btw, I do still have the inclination that this was a setup, but who knows.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well in regards to the speed maybe the speedo was stuck on 155 so they assumed thats the speed.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think it's real. Supposedly three people died in the crash, right? So did they clean all the body parts blood and guts then put the motorcycle back into the car to replicate how it looked after the accident(without the bodies)? Just seems alittle odd to me.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
I believe they can deduce the speed by investigating the scene. Things like the length of tire skid marks, impact damage, and the scattering of debris could all be combined to determine the velocity, or least a rough estimate. Either way, I'm sure they can most certainly tell the difference between a 60mph crash, and a 155mph crash.

Btw, I do still have the inclination that this was a setup, but who knows.
I agree you can calculate velocity based on skid marks if the bike hadnt struck the car....After that it becomes a VERY ROUGH estimate with too many variables...
Old 11-07-2005, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
I agree you can calculate velocity based on skid marks if the bike hadnt struck the car....After that it becomes a VERY ROUGH estimate with too many variables...

If it hadn't struck the car ? I'm not sure what you mean. They come up with a rough estimate of how fast cars were going in accidents based on skid marks all the time.

I was rear ended by a chinese chick in a sentra a few years ago, and the insurance company said they estimated her speed at 30mph at impact (I was stopped due to traffic). A kid I know lost control and ran into a telephone pole, and they were able to give a fairly accurate (according to him) estimate of how fast he was going when he lost control (which landed him in some trouble).
Old 11-07-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as I know it's easy as long as they know what brakes you were using, what car, and the total distance of the skid marks. If the skid marks end when you hit something they probably use other techniques I'm not aware of.

And I'd imagine it'd be somewhat easy to estimate the speed if you do this kind of work. I'm sure it's not an exact science but people in the trade can get pretty close.