Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

95 Formula vs Turbo Civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Formula vs Turbo Civic

Round two just happened after work yesterday. Quick background, I work as a tech at a Honda dealership and I raced one of my fellow techs a couple weeks ago. He drives a late 90s civic and is running 18psi, or at least thats what he told me, putting down 240 to the wheel. He's not annoyingly cocky or anything but on the day we raced I had a severely burnt plug wire on the #5 cylinder. I didnt think it would matter much but he humbled me by spanking me to the tune of 3-4 cars. He starts talking **** and everybody at the shop is giving me grief now. Well fast forward to yesterday, we both agree to go again since I fixed my wire. I have to admit I am a little nervous as to the outcome. We agree to go from a 20mph roll and he is going to honk. We turn onto a road of his choosing and I am waiting for him to slow down as we are driving at 45mph. I pull beside him and drop back to signal slow down but he starts honking! I was in neutral so I hurried into 2nd and slammed the gas just after the 3rd honk. I instantly pull even with him (i started about half a car back) and shift into 3rd at ~5500rpm. We are climbing this ungodly steep hill and he is falling back pretty hard. A turn was coming up so I shut it down around 100. He passes me and turns down his road to go home as I do likewise with a huge grin on my face. He calls my phone a minute later and was like, "damn youve got some monster torque going up that hill. i think i couldve won if we were going downhill though." He was cool about the loss but I think its his turn to absorb the shops abuse.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FlamingChicken
.... "damn youve got some monster torque going up that hill. i think i couldve won if we were going downhill though."

Was he really kidding???? I have met a few people who would swear by that....
Old 01-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

He's running 18psi and only getting 240whp? Sounds like he either has a SOHC motor or doesn't have his numbers straight. Good kill
Old 01-30-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not sure what engine he is running, just that its not vtec and is a 1.6. its horrible that i work at honda but i still dont know what kind of car im working on most of the time unless i see it back in or look at the ro. said he ran 13s at commerce (local drag strip)
Old 01-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Launching!

I dont get why people think that way about hills. If anything you were at a disadvantage. You are much much heavier, and thats what hurts you on a hill. You suddenly have the negative acceleration of gravity acting on your extra mass as opposed to the weight just creating inertia. Torque is torque. The hill does'nt change that.

Race on the level and you will win even more surely.