Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Last run in the VR-4

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last run in the VR-4

Looks like my car will be gone by Monday. My friend wanted to run his T61 Supra that he just had put together by a local shop. Somehow my car is used as a benchmark now. :p He claimed 519whp on his last dyno run. He has an auto, NA with T61 kit. Added a gasket to lower compression. Story unfolds....
We decided to just do a bunch of roll races down the highwayI'm running 19psi, he claims 1.4bar. First run at 40 I take about a half car jump and keep it there till forth and start pulling away. We do a 40 punch 4 times. Sometimes, he stays right with me, other times he falls back intially and then stays back. We come to realize he has a really bad antisurge problem below 4000rpm. His car doesn't surge on the last run and we stay pretty much dead even until 120 and I start to pull. He says he's running out of gear??

He then wants to do 55-60ish pulls. We do this about four times. It is always close. On one race he managed to creep on me, but the majority of the races I creep past him.

Conclusion: I was pleased and he was not. This is the second Supra guy that was suprised by me car. The other one was a BPU+ running 18psi (I managed to creep away from him too). We also noted his dyno numbers are way off. He is probably closer to low to mid 400s then 519. At above 500 he should of walked me easily. The 519 was on a mustang dyno. The shop just got the dyno and seems to be inflating numbers.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

nice kills. sounds like your vr4 is no joke. sick car. i like it alot. what are u getting to replace it?

josh
Old 03-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Teching In

An old beater pick up truck. Maybe a Supra..go fig. If not, another VR-4 but with turbos bigger then the little TDO4s. I'd love a vette, but I need a back seat.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like something is wrong with this car... NOT to take away from your win at all, but it's weird that his car ran differently each time... Inconsistent, you know? Weird...

Oh, GOOD KILL!!!

Why would you want to sell such a hard to find car? There's a 3000GT VR4 Spyder for sale in last month's Road and Track's classifieds with super low mileage selling for like $36k... It's so nice to have one that RUNS and that all the **** they came with WORKS!!! I'd keep it... And if I had money, I'd buy it off you!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Teching In

House is almost built. Cannot afford an Camaro and a VR-4 until we final close. Your right when you say the VR-4 is a hard car to find. I put both cars up on the market and the VR-4 sold quickly. Now if I can just get a sale on the SS.

As for me edging him, I totally agree that he should be pulling away from a roll. We raced to see if his HP numbers were off and they were. There's no way a "519whp" car can't walk my low 400awhp car. He can blame his tuner for the high dyno numbers.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VR4 isnt that rare, I was trying to sell one for a guy that would have taken 13.5K for it, it had 92K miles on it, was a 95 or 97 as i recall, and was in PERFECT condition, garaged its whole life. It was the really nice red that they had for those cars, VERY NICE RED!!! (I love that red, its kinda like the Guard Red on Porsches)
Old 03-04-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

What I mean by them being rare... is CHERRY ones being rare... no dents, running good, fully-functioning Active Aero, tunable exhaust, all-wheel steering, etc.

That's RARE!
Old 03-04-2006, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

I use to want a VR4 but then i fell in love with the ls1... And im more of a NA guy...Not to big on boost.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Racer

Good kill,love to beat those supra guys! They think theyre gonna win simply because their car says supra on the back! I like supras but at the same time like to see modified ones lose! I wish i knew someone with one around here so i could get my vr4 a good race.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:46 AM
Launching!

sounds like your car is runnin strong and that guy got tricked by his tuner
Old 03-06-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mastrhu
Looks like my car will be gone by Monday. My friend wanted to run his T61 Supra that he just had put together by a local shop. Somehow my car is used as a benchmark now. :p He claimed 519whp on his last dyno run. He has an auto, NA with T61 kit. Added a gasket to lower compression. Story unfolds....
We decided to just do a bunch of roll races down the highwayI'm running 19psi, he claims 1.4bar. First run at 40 I take about a half car jump and keep it there till forth and start pulling away. We do a 40 punch 4 times. Sometimes, he stays right with me, other times he falls back intially and then stays back. We come to realize he has a really bad antisurge problem below 4000rpm. His car doesn't surge on the last run and we stay pretty much dead even until 120 and I start to pull. He says he's running out of gear??

He then wants to do 55-60ish pulls. We do this about four times. It is always close. On one race he managed to creep on me, but the majority of the races I creep past him.

Conclusion: I was pleased and he was not. This is the second Supra guy that was suprised by me car. The other one was a BPU+ running 18psi (I managed to creep away from him too). We also noted his dyno numbers are way off. He is probably closer to low to mid 400s then 519. At above 500 he should of walked me easily. The 519 was on a mustang dyno. The shop just got the dyno and seems to be inflating numbers.
Sweet, I would love to see that video. I see your selling both of them? What are you planning on getting for a replacement?