Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Me vs. GTO

Old 03-21-2006, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Me vs. GTO

I was driving home from getting a part for my lawn mower and I was heading up a city street coming up to the road my neighborhood is on where I need to turn left. As I'm going I'm in the fast lane and I see a GTO (04) pull out of a neighborhood, a little behind me in the other lane. The light goes red...but I have to turn left, not thinking it was worth it I get in my turn lane..as does he. I'm the first in the lane so there is no traffic ahead of us on the road as we turn, I cruise about 30 waiting to get a bite and he just zooms by me. "Ok, forget it" well there is this light by the entrance to my neighborhood and it NEVER goes red, unless someone is pulling out of the neighborhood across the street. Well, someone pulls out Light goes red and we both pull up to it. I cant tell if he wants to go, but I put it in 3rd just in case, when it goes green we take off slowly, and I'm like, 'ok no bite' so I start to pick it up, well the stall spins it up to about 3k and the guy jumps on it, so I nail it, I fishtail through 1st, spin through the limiter and fishtail halfway into 2nd. The funny part is his front end is mid way up my passenger side door as I'm fishtailing. It finally hooks and I ended up putting about 4 cars on the guy before shutting it down coming up on a car too fast. I see this guy driving around town and he hot rods the crap out of it, even did the flyby to me once and when I got next to him he just turns into a shopping center. It was fun, but street tires = teh suck! I guess it didnt help that is 40* out.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol, nobody cares?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I dont
Old 03-23-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i sure hope you would beat a stock 04 goat. You'd beat one stock.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, good kill, i still dont think the 04 GTO's are in LS1 F-body league yet *flame suit on*
Old 03-23-2006, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

im not too impressed with them either... they were so hyped up, then when their release came they are dogs with lots of potential, but not worth the hassle just get an fbody or vette and youll do better
Old 03-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Banned

GTO's weigh what... 3725 lbs, with NOBODY in them.
Every one has EVERY OPTION. There in no GT, or SS, or SLP.
Ive rode in one, and there all STACKED. They are nice cars.
IMO, other than the fact that they look like a Grand Prix, I like them.

Ohh the 04's LS1 is 350hp, 365 Tq. STOCK ( Flywheel, but still impressive),
Put the same mods you guys have, take 500 Lbs off one, put 4.10's and stickies, then see what happens

Not stickin up for anything just saying....

Anyways good kill.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

yea dont get rme wrong im not saying they arent a nice car, my neighbor has one, and its a great car, gm just coulda developed them a tad better, like say not making them weigh as much as a skyscraper for a start
Old 03-23-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually they weight closer to 3700lbs with someone in them and a 1/2 tank.

I still want an 04, there are two or three out there running 11's already. On the IRS as well.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TopendLt1
Ohh the 04's LS1 is 350hp, 365 Tq. STOCK ( Flywheel, but still impressive),
Put the same mods you guys have, take 500 Lbs off one, put 4.10's and stickies, then see what happens
Yeah, same exact motor in the fbodys and the vette... Just too heavy to compete with the other LS1 cars. Though, they are nice cars, and I kinda like em.

Nice Kill
Old 03-24-2006, 01:05 AM
Banned

The guy i know who I ran has full bolt-ons and is only hitting 12.8@109.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dunno why everyone thinks they're so ridiculously heavy????

I'll do this math ONE MORE TIME...

(both sans driver)

my GTO all stock = 3690 pounds with a little under half a tank. subtract 15 pounds for the y-brace removal (which is something everyone should do because it's flat out UNNECESSARY unless you tow with the car.) and another 20 for my lighter wheels at each corner (which MANY other GTOs are rolling around with)...3655 pounds with same fuel level.

my '98 Z28 = 3400 pounds even with jack/spare removed and roughly half a tank of fuel.

yank the jack/spare out of the GTO or put it back IN the Z28 and there's a difference of only about 200 pounds....(figure 2 tenths, 2 mph everything else being equal.)

I'm not saying they're light because they certainly aren't but everyone makes them out to be giant rolling masses of lead. A stock f-body SHOULD pull a bit on an '04, but they're certainly not in vastly different performance categories.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:37 AM
Banned

Im sorry, but I seriously doubt I can hang neck and neck with an LS1 F-body 6-speed with LT's, pullies, lid, etc. etc.....

That was the result of my race with the 04 GTO M6 w/full bolt-ons. He woulda pulled 1 car by 95 by his own estimation had he not missed a shift and lost 1 car.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Im sorry, but I seriously doubt I can hang neck and neck with an LS1 F-body 6-speed with LT's, pullies, lid, etc. etc.....

That was the result of my race with the 04 GTO M6 w/full bolt-ons. He woulda pulled 1 car by 95 by his own estimation had he not missed a shift and lost 1 car.

it all depends who's driving....
Old 03-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Banned

From a roll he was slowly walking from me, thats all car there, no driving involved. An LS1 with LT's pullies intake woulda left me imho. Especially with a 6-speed from a roll. Either that or my low budget collection of parts is REALLY good at complimenting itself.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stanger88
From a roll he was slowly walking from me, thats all car there, no driving involved. An LS1 with LT's pullies intake woulda left me imho. Especially with a 6-speed from a roll. Either that or my low budget collection of parts is REALLY good at complimenting itself.
Nah, doubtful.

Just kidding. (EDIT: Nice car. But are you going to get some different wheels for it eventually?)

my GTO all stock = 3690 pounds
Yes, but if the driver weighs, say, 140 (that's basically a minimum), that car really weighs (at least) 3830 lbs., which does seem like a heavy car, doesn't it?

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
my '98 Z28 = 3400 pounds
That seems a little heavy from the numbers I've seen. Do you have most of the options?

Something else I found while reading more about this, your Camaro was an auto, and the 4l60e weighs "approximately 185", while the T-56 weighs 125, so you are penalizing the Z/28 by 60 basically free pounds, other than the couple of wires and hoses that vary from an auto to a manual.

So, I think that, Yes, the GTO does have an undeservedly bad rep for its weight, but I think that comes from GM stupidly using an identical output motor in a car they knew would be heavier, and charging something like 10 grand more for it (vs a ~23k stripper Z/28, that would blow its doors off)

I think they should have used the LS6 (until the LS2 was finished). It's not like it's a direct performance competitor to the Vette when it weighs that much more, and they could have detuned the motor a little as well, or better yet, tuned it more for torque at lower rpms than peak horsepower.

4L60E weight Link

T-56 weight Google Search Results (See text of No. 7)

which is something everyone should do
I used the 3690# number because I don't think most people will have done that, even if they should, and because I also credited the drivers of these cars with weighing 140, which is pretty rediculous, I think we both know that most of these drivers are males in average or worse shape, probably at least 90% are over 21, so they don't weigh 140.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Banned

I like my rims, they are at least as light as Welds. Lightest rims that came on 5.0's They look ok if you keep them up well and they cause people to VASTLY underestimate the car. That being said, some Cobra's are in the future (VERY DISTANT, i need to get the toilet put on first )
Old 03-24-2006, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, that's true that they definitely enhance the sleeper look, but it's not like leaving the stock wheels on a GTO or something, you know, I just think those are pretty lame considering the rest of the car is well kept, and a good design, those wheels drag it down. I think it's the thin spokes. But, I'm also tired of seeing Cobra wheels as the only street car wheels, and it's your car, so what the hell. Think I'd get some prostars or welds though, they look mean, especially with fats and skinnies.
What's up with your driver's side back window area? Something looks wrong, but I don't see many fox bodies so I don't know what's going on there.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Banned

It looks wrong b/c hte rubber around the window is as black as the tint and makes it look taller than normal in pictures with shitty resolution as taken by my camera phone And yeah, i would like rims, but i just spend $1200 on a holley 670cfm carb, MSD 6AL ignition, Pro Billet MSD dizzy, mallory bypass regulator, RPM intake manifold, etc. swapping from EFI to carb b/c the EFI is not working well with the stock computer and i dont want to deal with chipping, etc. etc. and its causing a bit of oil consumption b/c its dumping too much fuel at idle (scanner says fuel tables are leaned to the max and its still rich) b/c if i give it enough fuel pressure to run well at WOT it washes at idle and lower b/c my cam has less vacuum than stock.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
it all depends who's driving....

I think the frequent losses I've seen going to GTO's at the drag races I attend usually have more to do with wheelhop and the fact that the GTO is just a much harder car to launch than it does with weight.

I like the GTO's and have thought about getting one m'self after I've got the Z paid off, but it really disturbs me how often I see them losing when I go to the strip over the summer...

Search this Thread