Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Evo vs 3000GT VR4 vs Eclipse GSX w/vid

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Evo vs 3000GT VR4 vs Eclipse GSX w/vid

This thread is for those that actually dont mind reading kill stories even if its not a V8

Well Friday we head out to cruise around and look for some fun. As we get into town we notice a buddy of ours so we start cruising next to him and bsing. Well up ahead I see a car with a shiny dual exhaust, so I start to speed up. Once I get close I notice its a VR4, I was like cool. I pass him slowly and he downshifts and pulls up hard and blows off, and as he does that an Eclipse in the lane next to him does the same thing. We couldnt really run (traffic) so we played with eachother for a bit back and forth. We do a U-turn at a light and head back the other way. The Eclipse pulls up and we take off, I pulled him pretty easy then started to slow down, as I look in my mirror the VR4 is comming up pretty fast and flys around me so the Eclipse takes off after him. I figure I'll just let them play. I started cruising behind my buddy and we were coming up to a light and it turns red so my buddy moves over to let me line up with them 3 wide We all get ready to launch, and I didnt even launch that hard about 5K, usually I launch close to 6K. I jumped ahead of both of them easily, then when I shifted to 2nd I didnt get it in clean so the VR4 gained a bit then once I got it in gear I pulled both of them like they were standing still We got to the next light and the Eclipse pulls up and says "man that was an awesome launch" I was like thanks The VR4 was talking to my buddy behind us, I guess he has a full exhaust and raised the boost 5psi. Anyways it was pretty cool. I thought the VR4 was gonna put up a better fight...oh well.

Evo vs VR4 vs GSX
Old 03-26-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice kills and nice vid...next time we need more footage though
Old 03-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Banned

Looks like you got a real good jump.
Which is wierd because VR4's are AWD right...?

By the way, whats the Stock 1/4 time on them new Lancer MR's?
Old 03-26-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i belive allthose cars were awd. the GSx is awd also i belive? shared same platform as the turbo awd eagle talons? or somehting like that.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah its was cool cuz we were all Mitsu's and all AWD and turbo As for teh video, yeah sorry not the greatest it was from our camera phone, kind of a last second thing

The new MR should run high 12's to low 13's stock. It all depends on the driver as you can see we all had awd cars and I got them pretty good off the line.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Racer

Evo's mods.?
Old 03-26-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UL LOSE
Evo's mods.?
I just coiped this form my sig on the Evo board obviously not all power mods. I have maybe $2500 into it in "power" mods.

Tein S-Tech's, 5Zigen Typhoons 17x8 W/245's, WORKS CK2 Clutch (Carbon/Kevlar Disc), WORKS P2R (Ecu reflash 21-22 psi 8K redline), WORKS Chromoly Flywheel (12lbs), WORKS 269 Cams, WORKS Tranny Rebuild, WORKS Ti Valvesprings/Retainers, WORKS Short Shifter, Invidia Downpipe, Invidia Catback, UR Test Pipe, Defi Boost gauge, LancerShop Bushings

I just seen your other thread you posted, I was gonna ask you how much power a VR4 would be making with a turboback exhaust and 5 more psi (well thats what my buddy was told.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Racer

well it depends on what generation VR4. 1st gen.s were set at 9psi factory and put out 300hp. 2nd gen.s were set at 12psi and put out 320hp. So mine is a 1st gen.,i have it set at 17psi which is 8psi higher than stock. My ONLY mods. are manual boost controller and aftermarket downpipe(no idea what brand,on car when purchased). Mine even has the stock air box. I would say it makes around 370-380hp at crank.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah this was a 1st gen, 2nd had the projector headlights (non pop-up right?) I wonder if the VR4 is like the Evo, they run better with the stock intake, I just have a drop in filter.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Racer

Yeah the 2nd gen got the projectors. And NO the VR4s do NOT run better with stock intake and air box. Stock setup sufficates these cars. Working on installing open element filter and blow off valve as we speak. Makes huge gains on these cars.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:31 AM
TECH Regular

^ Wow thats funny, the total opposite of an Evo, most dont take to intakes or BOV's very well. If I ever upgrade the stock bov it will be for a MR which is not made of plastic like mine, but only when I start losing boost on the stocker.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:44 AM
Teching In

Hey Pete, Yah that race was sick. When I was behind you, it looked like the other cars werent even punching it lol. Well we went and raced sat. night also. My buddies hatch with a gsr swap and full bolt-ons beat a 2000 SS by about 1.5 cars The guy in the camaro is on norcalLS1. Everyone was suprised, lol. They kept asking us what we had in the hatch. It was pretty funny.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

well it depends on what generation VR4. 1st gen.s were set at 9psi factory and put out 300hp. 2nd gen.s were set at 12psi and put out 320hp. So mine is a 1st gen.,i have it set at 17psi which is 8psi higher than stock. My ONLY mods. are manual boost controller and aftermarket downpipe(no idea what brand,on car when purchased). Mine even has the stock air box. I would say it makes around 370-380hp at crank.
Damn dude at 17psi you are pushing things a little to far with your listed mods. Put a EGT gauge in that thing before you smoke some pistons. I had a fully modded 93 Stealth TT so I know what I am talking about. If you are still on a stock fuel pump and wiring you better either turn down the boost or start building a new engine. I had my stock turbos maxed out at 15psi with 16psi spikes with EGT gauges and a laptop hooked up looking for knock.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Banned

EGTs are useless for tuning. They can go up for multiple conflicting reasons, and you never really know why the temps are going up. Why does that matter? Because if you dont know why the temps are going up (timing too high, too low, too lean, too rich) you cant correct properly and have to guess.

Get a wideband, do it right the first time.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by YsoFast
Damn dude at 17psi you are pushing things a little to far with your listed mods. Put a EGT gauge in that thing before you smoke some pistons. I had a fully modded 93 Stealth TT so I know what I am talking about. If you are still on a stock fuel pump and wiring you better either turn down the boost or start building a new engine. I had my stock turbos maxed out at 15psi with 16psi spikes with EGT gauges and a laptop hooked up looking for knock.
Yeah im working on getting all the needed tuning compents. Before i have to start !
Old 03-27-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you better be hitting low 13 high 12's stock in the evo....... if not your doing something wrong. i beat a stock vr4 yesterday form a roll. walked him pretty good. form a sotp it would have been totally different but hey comes with street racing.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Regular

Haha, Jassy whats up? Yeah we seen them out on Sat too (the VR4 and GSX) this time his GF was out in her Neon too Didnt get next to them though we had the Z06 Yeah I heard about some races, pissed me off that we didnt get to go to any

GXP...I can assure you its running way lower than 13's

Quick Reply: Evo vs 3000GT VR4 vs Eclipse GSX w/vid