Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Drove a single turbo miata.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Drove a single turbo miata.

Holy ****. Still in shock with how cool this little bastard of a car. It's rated at 1900 lbs stock but, the one I drove had aluminum fenders. Again, single turbo, 15psi kit from Flyin' Miata. No cats....and an exhaust system. Suspension mods where springs only, and some light wheels.

guys, and ladies, for the record, I hate miata's. Up until now. Drive one, you'll see what I mean. It feels, or should I say, dare I say it reminds me of a vette with heads and cam. I know, fucked up right. I'm gonna have to buy one... only cause i'm told you can pick up a runner for 1000 bucks. I have tubro's laying around,....one intercooler..... and guys here with welding skills. It's gotta be one of the funnest cars I've ever driven. No bullshit.

Sorry no kills to post, except for my view of a car, now forever changed.

1900lbs or less, and 300whp. Rear drive. Do the math.

Cheap fun. It's like haveing a slutty, young, hot neighbor, that works for one friday night with you at the movies.

J
Old 04-11-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lke they fact that they handle great and are really light. I know someone who's doing a h/c ls1 swap into a miata that used to be turboed.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Go for a 2G. The new ones are just not the same according to the enthusiasts. The 1.8 motor is better than the 1.6, to the point that people do swaps. It's for more than just the extra .2L

AFAIK the better 1.8 motor came around with the OBD II crap in 96 or so.

And 'Maximum Boost' has an entire section detailing a turbo install into a mid 90s Miata. Of course I know you thumbed through that after our conversation LOL!

Why is it that all the cars I really like have 16 valves? OHC v8s and nasty turbo 4s. I need to broaden my horizons LOL.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS-Sick
I lke they fact that they handle great and are really light. I know someone who's doing a h/c ls1 swap into a miata that used to be turboed.
Someone on here has an LS1 Miata, posts pretty regularly too. I think he's running like 205 AFRs and a mild cam. Psychotic.

I cant imagine how fast that thing is and what kind of skill it takes to use all that performance.

@#$%ing awesome.

Swaps like that are what got me to this site in the first place. I am leaning toward a 240 or RX7 chassis. Power to weight insanity with daily driver capability. Im sold.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

oh dude other than the gay stigma miatas are ******* badass but pretty gutless stock
Old 04-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

LS1 RX-7......
Old 04-11-2006, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Im sorry i don't know much about these cars, but are most of them out there running that good, or is it more on the rare side.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

before my lt1 I had a 90 miata, it was fun as hell. so low to the ground and awesome handling. like a friggin cloud flying around lol. I could sit in the car and push it up my driveway with my left foot. but i have to admit that was in my ricer days and i destroyed it with a big windshield sticker, loud no power exhaust and yes... yes a big alluminum wing. haha, i still have pics of it i should post em up. it was horrible. but i was young and thought it was cool. people at school made fun of me pretty regularly, that or thought i had some huge ***** for trying to pull it off.

anyway im straight now, my formula made me realize what a car should be. not saying miata's arent real car's just i messed that one up bad. lol, if it didnt get totalled i was gonna get that flyin miata turbo kit and make it look respectable.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a guy in my complex who drives a miata, also an RX8 owner, which one handles better? LS1 RX8...been done yet?
Old 04-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stanger88
There is a guy in my complex who drives a miata, also an RX8 owner, which one handles better? LS1 RX8...been done yet?

Don't think so. But you can't beat the FD's looks and handling with an LS1.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Someone on here has an LS1 Miata, posts pretty regularly too. I think he's running like 205 AFRs and a mild cam. Psychotic.

I cant imagine how fast that thing is and what kind of skill it takes to use all that performance.

@#$%ing awesome.

Swaps like that are what got me to this site in the first place. I am leaning toward a 240 or RX7 chassis. Power to weight insanity with daily driver capability. Im sold.

It's a rocket. Also have a supercharged Miata & have driven several. The power limit for a Miata with full sub-framing & suspension mod's is around 450/450 I would say. After that, it's pretty much waisted & unusable power.
Proper suspension is the key & far more important than HP/TQ. Personally, I preffer the torque from the LS1 Miata over the power of a blown 1.8L. The funny looks on the driver's faces around me looking for the where the rumble of a muscle car is coming from is a bonus.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1-450
It's a rocket. Also have a supercharged Miata & have driven several. The power limit for a Miata with full sub-framing & suspension mod's is around 450/450 I would say. After that, it's pretty much waisted & unusable power.
Proper suspension is the key & far more important than HP/TQ. Personally, I preffer the torque from the LS1 Miata over the power of a blown 1.8L. The funny looks on the driver's faces around me looking for the where the rumble of a muscle car is coming from is a bonus.
Any times on that thing?
Old 04-12-2006, 06:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Go for a 2G. The new ones are just not the same according to the enthusiasts. The 1.8 motor is better than the 1.6, to the point that people do swaps. It's for more than just the extra .2L

AFAIK the better 1.8 motor came around with the OBD II crap in 96 or so.

And 'Maximum Boost' has an entire section detailing a turbo install into a mid 90s Miata. Of course I know you thumbed through that after our conversation LOL!

Why is it that all the cars I really like have 16 valves? OHC v8s and nasty turbo 4s. I need to broaden my horizons LOL.

lol. Yeah, this one I think is a 95...I think. I'll have to ask him when I see him later. I'm gonna look for the article in the magizine man. Thanks for the tip, again.

J
Old 04-12-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OverLord
Any times on that thing?
Miata's are not good drag cars. The fastest times I know of are 10.9's for a drag specific Miata; meaning tubbed wheel wells for big wide tires & a drag suspension set-up. The wheel base is far too short to make for good drag racing. For this reason & because my cars are not set-up for drag racing, my time slips would not reveal the speed of the car. Properly built Miata's are great street, oval track, & road track cars. Don't mistake the road track comment for cone racing. I mean real track racing. Cone racing is for **** & ricers, IMHO. Powerful Miatas with proper suspension are great fun as you have experienced. I'd recommend one to anyone. If you are looking for a drag race specific car, F-bodies, Corvettes, & Mustangs are far better suited for the launch & early traction required for good track times. Good-luck & I'm glad to here about your Miata experience.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I almost got one over over my fbod.

I wanted lil more room and I already have a great handling sporty 4 banger so I went with the Z.

Still want a mitia though
Old 04-12-2006, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Miata's are not good drag cars. The fastest times I know of are 10.9's for a drag specific Miata; meaning tubbed wheel wells for big wide tires & a drag suspension set-up. The wheel base is far too short to make for good drag racing. For this reason & because my cars are not set-up for drag racing, my time slips would not reveal the speed of the car. Properly built Miata's are great street, oval track, & road track cars. Don't mistake the road track comment for cone racing. I mean real track racing. Cone racing is for **** & ricers, IMHO. Powerful Miatas with proper suspension are great fun as you have experienced. I'd recommend one to anyone. If you are looking for a drag race specific car, F-bodies, Corvettes, & Mustangs are far better suited for the launch & early traction required for good track times. Good-luck & I'm glad to here about your Miata experience.

OOOHHH okay man thanks for clearing that up, i pretty much just drag, so i guess im in the right place lol.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Yeah.

I remember seeing some crazy drag RWD CRX where its ultra-short wheelbase basicly made it a death trap.

Theres a reason the top fuelers and funny cars are so long. Length means stabilty, especially under minor course corrections when you launch.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

As i'm getting ready to respond to this,...holy ****, thats a crazy miata you have. Thats gotta be fun. Yeah, I don't think they're good drag cars either,...wouldn't be what i'd be interested in... more like open track days and some fun, swoopeing corners.

Thanks fore everyones replys...

later...J