Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got killed today by an LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got killed today by an LT1

I was on my home today when I spot this 93-97 camaro coming up hard behind me. He stays behind me until we get to an open stretch of road with no traffic. I move over a few lanes so we can line them up. Well this ******* nails it from behind me and flys past me and right as he flys past me I am downshifting into 4th. We are at about 90 mph right now. Anyways this dude keeps pulling on me and even when I go to shift into 5th he is still winding out a gear he pops it into the next gear and really starts to pull me. He started really pulling me at about 140mph. I have 3.73 so I am running out of gear by this point. I never got a chance to talk to the guy. I didn't sound stock but it didn't have the extreme lope of a big cam either. I don't know if it was the fact that this guy was already in his gear and passing me when I nailed it and thats why I lost or this fool had some sick ****. I woulda had to match his speed and then some before he passed me to keep up.
Last time I checked an lt1 would need a good cam at least to pull an ls1 like that on the top end. Or else he was an lt4 in disguise but those are rare. I would say he had 2 cars on me when we shut it down at 155 mph. I say he had at least a mild cam with some headwork at least and a good tune to pull like that. Or else he was spraying me which is probably what it was. What do you guys think was I beat by the spray or did this guy flat *** outrun me?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might have sprayed you, although my car has a fairly large cam for a LT1 and it dosn't sound extreme on the throttle, just lopes real hard at idle
Old 05-04-2006, 07:11 AM
Banned

All bolts ons with better gears and a stall, and the LT1 wakes up.
Im guessing he had an Auto with 3.42's and a nice stall, with maybe a Mild Cam.

But I wouldnt consider them races.
You should have let him go past you, then gunned it and caught up to him side by side.

Dont' sound so suprised though, with the Right mods the LT1 can really move.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

I did gun it as he passed me and I wasn't gaining on him at all. He was still in his gear pulling when i shifted into 5th for about another 5 seconds so it had to be an auto. I hate people around here whatever happened to run from a 50 roll or something on the highway. Everytime I get to race someone around here they always are going like 80-90 mph when they start. I am not going to race anyone anymore when the want to run like that. It is no fun I don't like having to take my car to 145 -150 mph just to win a race. I heard the car at idle and it did sound pretty damn deep exhaust note for a stock lt1 so I know he probably had a mild cam with some spray. That would be the only way he could pull me that hard especially in an auto at that speed. If he was auto I should of walked on him.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

its not easy to play catch up. I don't even try it unless I know I can catch them in a hurry.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

4th at 90?

Wouldn't you go to third? Or can't you with 3.73's.

I don't know I am just askin.

However you shouldn't have let him bait you like that, it's not always easy to overcome a V8 with a headstart. I had a older accord do that to me and it took me a few seconds to run his *** down and he was severely underpowered even compared to my 6.

Dan
Old 05-04-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Going to 3rd at 90 would be a waste. You would end up around 5800 rpms and I would just have to shift right away again. 4th gear was the best gear for the time. I think if he had lined up next to me and we did the 3 honks the results would have been different. When someone is coming up behind you then swings into the other lane and keeps the foot on the floor he is already going way over the speed I am traveling so I would have to match that speed and then some just to catch up. So I think this death could have been a kill under the right conditions.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like juice!
Old 05-05-2006, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by burnzilla

Dont' sound so suprised though, with the Right mods the LT1 can really move.
X80 billion
Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

In the world of forum racing and Benech racing the LT1 will never win........

Most of those people never raced one in real life...