Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Me and a Lancer Evo

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdm1234
yea i would love to take one for a test drive. can i take one out by myself? i cant be whipping it around with the salesman in the car haha.
why not...it's not liek they can write you a ticket just give it hell and watch them **** their pants. i did that with a STI that only had 300 miles on it hehe.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Props on taking on a challenge.

No biggie either. Its not just that Evos are meant for turning under throttle more than the average F-Body, its that its a much newer car on newer bushings, dampers, springs etc. I think you would be surprised what some simple mild upgrades/maitenance will do for you.

I have a an AWD 4G63 and I can tell you I have no chance against a well driven Evo. Its hard to overcome about a decade of R&D into handling with our mid 90s cars LOL.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Props on taking on a challenge.

No biggie either. Its not just that Evos are meant for turning under throttle more than the average F-Body, its that its a much newer car on newer bushings, dampers, springs etc. I think you would be surprised what some simple mild upgrades/maitenance will do for you.

I have a an AWD 4G63 and I can tell you I have no chance against a well driven Evo. Its hard to overcome about a decade of R&D into handling with our mid 90s cars LOL.
oh yea i definitely agree. Its amazing how far other vehicles have come! i always thought our F-Bodies were close to cream-of-the-crop when it came to handling, but I have a lot to learn about these newer models. I definitely wont underestimate an Evo or STi the next time I see one... thats for sure!
Old 05-29-2006, 04:21 AM
Teching In

I had an Evo and a high horsepower LSX RX-7 at the same time and after getting out of the RX-7 the Evo felt like a power wheels. I have never driven a car as fun as the Evo though. It's a point, smash the gas, and go that direction car. I hope to get an Evo for a daily driver again some day.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i found out it was a 2006 Evo. this is the hood that was on the car i was up against. i saw it on the mitsubishi site and it definitely matches!
Old 06-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Well the hood's on all the models are the same. The only way you can really tell the difference is the front bumper or the wheels. If it was the '06 though they have much better topend, about 2-3mph better traps.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good story!! Thumbs up for admiting defeat.

Evos are cool cars.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Banned

Sounds like some good competition. The Evo was definitely modded, maybe even had cams, because if it was stock your 6-Speed LT1 would have walked all over it from a roll. Hard

What I really don't understand is how Evos handle so damn well. I mean I can understand why cars like Corvettes, Porsches, and RX7's handle so well, being that they are wide, 2 door coupes with performance-oriented independent suspensions, low centers of gravity, and relatively light weight. But then theres the Evo, a 4 door economy car based on the rather unimpressive and unsophisticated Lancer. Its got a high center of gravity, tall roof, and isn't as light as any of the aforementioned vehicles. The tires aren't overly wide, and it doesn't even ride very low. Yet somehow it handles so great. Why??

Lets say you took a Evo and a GTO. Both have 4 Wheel Independent Suspension. Strip them both down to be exactly 3200lbs. Same exact tires, stock suspension. Would the Evo still handle better?? It just doesn't make sense to me as to what makes it handle so well, maybe someone has some explainations.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Honestly the only thing that the Evo shares with the basic lancer in the interior, unfortunately. Other then that they are designed completely different. Its called 14+ years of Rally heritage. Believe it or not even the wing plays a part, go look at the test differences between a RS-no wing and a GSR or MR-wing.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
Sounds like some good competition. The Evo was definitely modded, maybe even had cams, because if it was stock your 6-Speed LT1 would have walked all over it from a roll. Hard

What I really don't understand is how Evos handle so damn well. I mean I can understand why cars like Corvettes, Porsches, and RX7's handle so well, being that they are wide, 2 door coupes with performance-oriented independent suspensions, low centers of gravity, and relatively light weight. But then theres the Evo, a 4 door economy car based on the rather unimpressive and unsophisticated Lancer. Its got a high center of gravity, tall roof, and isn't as light as any of the aforementioned vehicles. The tires aren't overly wide, and it doesn't even ride very low. Yet somehow it handles so great. Why??

Lets say you took a Evo and a GTO. Both have 4 Wheel Independent Suspension. Strip them both down to be exactly 3200lbs. Same exact tires, stock suspension. Would the Evo still handle better?? It just doesn't make sense to me as to what makes it handle so well, maybe someone has some explainations.
Active center diff, electronic control that keeps the wheels planted and 14 years of R&D. The car was designed from the ground up for rallying.