Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a Stock 05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Raced a Stock 05 GT

I got the guy to go off and run em real quick out in the country roads... He looked kinda young and dumb, and he had a ford wraparround on his steering wheel... I was thinking I would wax him like it was cool, given the extras I have put on

First race we were pretty much side by side, I shifted into third and left him... I was thinking,,,well that's pretty impressive that he kept up through 1st and 2nd... but the LS1 screams up top I guess.... We went to pull over, and he tells me he hit his rev limiter back there, and I'm thinking ya ya, here come the exuses... so we turn arround, run em again, only this time when I hit third hes still right there next to me...same with 4th...

Sometimes I think I have the biggest LSturd of all time.

I had my back fire issues pop up in both races so that had to hurt me... and I should have shut it down as soon as they started, but the brain just does'nt work very well when I have a stang next to me... *pop, pop, pop*

I have new MSD wires coming in to replace my Talor's... it would be REALLY nice if that cleaned up my back firing, and unleashed the 50 horses I'm missing
Old 06-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow...your car needs some help. Sorry to hear that. Can you get it to a shop
and let some pros iron out the kinks?
Old 06-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Launching!

I got back from Iraq almost 2 years ago, slapped all my new parts on, and 2 months later after getting back, I got out, and came back home (Idaho) And I have'nt had any luck finding a speed shop of any kind here in spud land...

I took my car up to a dyno shop last summer to get a AFR, and they put my car down as a 1998 Camero... not a good start... 246 hp/ 600tq in third gear 276 hp/500tq in 4th gear.... And they were suppose to be sooooo smart about the LS1... hell one guy asked me if they still made camaros... and the other guy asked me if a camaro weighed less than a vette... I knew I was in trouble.

I got my car dynoed right after all the mods (ls6 intake, F10 Cam, Kooks LT w/TD's) I put on, and I had the stock tune still and I got someting like 346/365 down in san diego at a dyno day....I got HP tuners and had a guy help me a little while I was down there... but things just have'nt seemed to work out for me for some reason...

OHhhh... I DID have my t tops off during the race.... so.. ummm... look whos making the exuses now huh???? = )
Old 06-03-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn man... that car is hurting... get a real tune and go from there
Old 06-03-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my car up to a dyno shop last summer to get a AFR, and they put my car down as a 1998 Camero...not a good start...

LOL, That's pretty funny!

You definetely should have walked that GT...they've got nothin on us. I'm not sure what you mean about the "backfiring" issue..."pop, pop pop..." When I took the kitty cats off my car, the exhaust pops only when the car is cold (morning heading off to work, etc.) After about a mile, it stops...I'm thinking it's just because there is SO little back pressure and the uneven lengths of the pipes. Your poping however could be much more severe than mine...I wouldn't call mine backfiring at all.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea, u should have no problem with the gt's man, especially with those mods.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LastLT1
yea, u should have no problem with the gt's man, especially with those mods.
Yeah, you should outrun them without any problems. I ran against one a few nights ago and pulled from him with ease. All I have done is an air lid and full exhaust with LT's. The worst part is that I still need to replace my plugs and wires to kill the backfires. I think the GT was also an auto and we ran from a rolling start. So needless to say, a manual from a standstill may get me right now, but your work should eat em up very easily.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Launching!

well I "know" I "should'nt" be having problems... but I am... I might have to take a road trip down to salt lake or something, might be able to find someone there that knows something about tuning...

I'm not really sure if it's backfiring or what... but the *POP* DOES seem to be coming from the exhaust... I have hi flow cats on, cartech I believe. the 50 dollar ones off ebay... It usually only does the POP POP POP at wot... but sometimes it will do it at like 3K at half throttle, and the only way I can make it stop is to let off the gas...

Any ideas?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Bad coil? Or wire..... thats what happened in my 96 GT... the wires. But mine would hesitate. One of my dad's car popped when you would get on it, and after changing the wires it went away.

That sucks man, you need a tune!
Old 06-03-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

if getting to a shop is difficult, maybe try a mail order tune to get you by. hope things work out.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that sucks man. well atleast you didnt loose. but those cars like everyone has stated are slow. ive watched 4-5 diff ones all run mid 9's in the 1/8 and only trap around 80 mph.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Just got a call from Leddy He raced the guy off of 7 cylinders.. One of the wires wasn't on all the way.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Launching!

It's true I'm sad to say, that my rear passenger wire APPEARED well more like felt like it was not quite on all the way... I have new plugs in now, and I'll put my MSD wires on monday when they come in... Driver side was a synch... that passenger side though...= ( I forgot how much "fun" that side is... Last time I did my plugs I had valve covers off AND my stock headers were pulled off as I was getting ready to put in my LTs and my new Cam... They were SOOOOO easy that day =- )

So anyway I think... HOPE rather that I found my problem, and my previous V7 was able to keep up with a new gt... I had a wire come off before after the dealership did some tranny work, and the car ran like CRAP... The wire was off on the coil pack end that time, this time at was just backed off from the plug...

It would be SWEET if that was my problem all along... poor little stang is about to get his feelings hurt = )