Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got beat by a Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Got beat by a Cobra

I was heading down to the WS6store tonight to pick up my new Hurst shift ****. I was just cruising down the highway going the speed limit when I look in my review mirror and see what I think is an older stang because of the round fog lights. He comes up next to me and I creeps by and thats when I notice it is a 99 or 01 Cobra. I cruise behind him for a bit and up ahead there is a set of stop lights that opens up to three lanes because you can get on the interstate up ahead. The light was green and I was begging for it to turn red and it did. The Cobra got into the middle lane and I was in the left. I never looked over, never reved (neither did he) and before I know it the light was green. I hear him take off squeeling his tires and I did the same. I got a little sideways thanks to my bald RSA's and he got a car jump on me. By the end of first he was about 1.5 cars ahead and I got to his rear bumper by the end of second. I was slowly creeping up by the time we shut down at around 85 or so. So it ended up about a car length. I was rather impressed with my car for only having a CAI and cutout as performance mods. I'm thinking he had atleast exhaust cause his car was pretty loud, but I could be wrong though. Anyway it was a good race. This was my first "real" race since I have owned my car and I have had it for almost 2 years. I was all jacked up after it . The guy was a pretty good driver as well. He chirped pretty hard in second and his car cocked sideways a bit. I gave the guy a thumbs up and went on my way. Does this sound about right for an LT1 that is pretty close to stock? I am positive I started to pull ever so slightly and made up about a half a car or so after my crappy launch. Overall it was a good race and I was happy the way my car ran. If only I would have had my Hurst shift ****, haha.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good death

that sounds about right to me. if both cars are stock i would say its a drivers race. with some better tires you probably could have stayed even with him or even taken him.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:24 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Nice runs. So you bought a Hurst shift ****? Wheres the Nawz man.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Nice runs. So you bought a Hurst shift ****? Wheres the Nawz man.
Funny dude . I recently got a factory hurst shifter for pretty cheap and my old shift **** isn't in the best of shape so I figured why not get a new one to go with the new shifter.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:58 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Funny dude . I recently got a factory hurst shifter for pretty cheap and my old shift **** isn't in the best of shape so I figured why not get a new one to go with the new shifter.
You bought the leather wrapped Hurst shift ****? Actually I was happy as crap when UPS delivered mine when I had my SS too!
Old 07-28-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Good runs, definitely a drivers race on the N/A Cobra's there right up there with the Mach1s, maybe just a tad slower from what I've heard. Keep on racin' and you'll be launching that car a lot better and he wouln't be putting 1.5 lengths on you out of the whole (and save up for some DRs and a set of 4.10s ) If you guys had a little more running room you might have cought him around 110, but there's no point in getting stupid and putting lives in danger just to see who is faster. Again good runs, I love them older cobras (N/A or FI)

Does anyone no if the N/A cars had IRS? And when did they start putting the IRS on those cars?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Teching In

good run. Just another reason to get more mods.
Originally Posted by rk_2000_Z/28
Does anyone no if the N/A cars had IRS? And when did they start putting the IRS on those cars?
'99/'01 Cobra has the IRS but i'm not sure which year they started.
Edit: Ask UNIT213, he should know.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

I am with rk_2000_Z/28. Practice driving!!!

Remember you can have more power and still lose if you cant aply the power!!!