Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2000 T/A vs 2004 Evo VIII

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 T/A vs 2004 Evo VIII

My friend has been bugging me to race him for a while so I gave in the other night.

The Cars:
2000 T/A 63,000 miles, lid, LT's custom catted y, borla, custom hp tuners tune by me.

2004 Evo VIII 35,000 miles, intake, turboback exhaust, test pipe, boost controller, custom tune ~21 psi

The race was 35 to 100, 2 times. The first time we lined up, we were not perfectly even, i was a head a little bit, so on the third honk i waited for him to punch it and i nailed it. I nailed the 2-3 shift and started pulling on him. Won by 1/2 car length.

Second run we were dead even and we both took off at the same time. We were pretty even till about 70 mph and by 100 I had a car length on him. If we went any higher in speeds I would have killed.

I am impressed that he stayed with me so well. He dyno'd the car at 284awhp and 293awtq. He does weight ~150 pounds lighter. I think if we went from a dig he would have got me. My tires are sumitumo's with about 5/32" left for tread... anyone that has sumi's knows they don't hook worth a ****. Once his car hits boost in first it takes off like a bat out of hell. I got to drive it before we raced for about 20 minutes and it is a LOT of fun. But ill take my v8 anyday. I really want to do a cam now.

Does this sound about right or does my car sound like it should be doing a lot better? I do have a nasty spark tick on my drivers side, im getting a set of 01' heads next month cause they are free as well as a ls6 intake.

Last edited by tars7; 08-29-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Teching In

I think that sounds about right to me. Before I read the story, judging from both of your mods and the fact your an M6 (and you were gonna go from a roll) I knew youd take him by a car or so. Sounds right. I dont think there is anything wrong with your car. Your buddy's EVO is putting down a little less power than it should with I/E 22psi and a tune but it is an 04. Good race!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

with a halfway decent driver evo's are very nice off the line.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tars7
My friend has been bugging me to race him for a while so I gave in the other night.

The Cars:
2000 T/A 63,000 miles, lid, LT's custom catted y, borla, custom hp tuners tune by me.

2004 Evo VIII 35,000 miles, intake, turboback exhaust, test pipe, boost controller, custom tune ~21 psi

The race was 35 to 100, 2 times. The first time we lined up, we were not perfectly even, i was a head a little bit, so on the third honk i waited for him to punch it and i nailed it. I nailed the 2-3 shift and started pulling on him. Won by 1/2 car length.

Second run we were dead even and we both took off at the same time. We were pretty even till about 70 mph and by 100 I had a car length on him. If we went any higher in speeds I would have killed.

I am impressed that he stayed with me so well. He dyno'd the car at 284awhp and 293awtq. He does weight ~150 pounds lighter. I think if we went from a dig he would have got me. My tires are sumitumo's with about 5/32" left for tread... anyone that has sumi's knows they don't hook worth a ****. Once his car hits boost in first it takes off like a bat out of hell. I got to drive it before we raced for about 20 minutes and it is a LOT of fun. But ill take my v8 anyday. I really want to do a cam now.

Does this sound about right or does my car sound like it should be doing a lot better? I do have a nasty spark tick on my drivers side, im getting a set of 01' heads next month cause they are free as well as a ls6 intake.
I have the same mods on my Evo, I actually beat my buddies 00 TA M6 by a car 1/4 pass. Nice run watch out for the 06 Evos there quick.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Are they? Yea, he's let me drive it a bunch, they are a lot of fun to drive. If i was going to buy an import, I would highly consider that car. The powerband is crazy in those things... once you hit boost. Did your buddy have any mods on his T/A?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DANS LS1
I have the same mods on my Evo, I actually beat my buddies 00 TA M6 by a car 1/4 pass. Nice run watch out for the 06 Evos there quick.
Yeah but you also have a 10.5 hot side on your turbo.

The race sounds about right to me for the hp he's putting down. But it was said already I think your boys EVO is a little shy of the hp he should be making with those mods. But then again it depends on the dyno..