Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Turbo M3 Vs Cam Only SS *Story + Video*

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 03:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo M3 Vs Cam Only SS *Story + Video*

So last week a 95 m3, with a 3.2L swap, t3/t4 turbo comes up to a local hangout. He runs an 04 GTO, and walks the dog on it something serious. I mention my car.... and end up talking a little **** and get a race set up for this sunday night.

Sunday night comes around, and we head back up to the spot. The M3 has decided he wants to run, but will not go from a dig. So we decide on a 15/20 ish punch up to 120. M3 is on 116 race fuel, and also 17+ lbs of boost.

My car is a stock headed, forged 347 with a futral fm14 cam. 6spd, 4.11 gears in the moser 12 bolt.

I let my friend craig drive my car, as he can shift like something ******* serious, and hes a good 120 lbs lighter than I am.

They hit the road, I hang back at the parking lot to shoot the **** with some people, hoping my car will come back with the victory.

Sure enough, I get a call about 10 minutes later "SS by 5"

Won 20 bucks off of them, so it wasn't so bad. The BMW guys had an entire crew, and were a bit pissed off they just got walked by a pump gas, all motor stock headed LS1.

Also in the video are some runs against an EVO with alot of bolt ons, mid to high 12 second car. He couldn't get it off the line even launching it off the limiter too.

Right Click, Save As

Sorry for the poor video filming quality. Loaned my camera to some people that had never touched it before But its all good.. it gets the point across.

So in conclusion, Cam only SS from a roll on pump gas, factory heads.

Is >

Turbo 3.2L M3. Pushing 17 lbs of boost on race fuel, with a 3.15 gear under it and gutted interior.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:41 AM
Teching In

Cool story but why didn't you drive?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Staging Lane

Wow... Nice kill on what I am sure is a 450 whp car and not that heavy either... and by 5 cars...
Old 09-11-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Resident

that evo needs a driver.. SERIOUSLY~ btw nice kill~
Old 09-11-2006, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

evo needs a stronger clutch possibly. thanks for the vid, good runs
Old 09-11-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice launches from the light, but next time you do a video please keep the chatter to a ZERO. I would rather be able to hear the cars then the chase car yapping like they are winning. Not trying to sound like an ******* from my comment, just would've liked to have heard more of the race and less of the commentary. Good camera work though. You could probably edit that clip on Windows movie maker and fix her up a bit. Try windows movie maker next time. Still liked the runs though.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ineedashortblock
So last week a 95 m3, with a 3.2L swap, t3/t4 turbo comes up to a local hangout. He runs an 04 GTO, and walks the dog on it something serious. I mention my car.... and end up talking a little **** and get a race set up for this sunday night.

Sunday night comes around, and we head back up to the spot. The M3 has decided he wants to run, but will not go from a dig. So we decide on a 15/20 ish punch up to 120. M3 is on 116 race fuel, and also 17+ lbs of boost.

My car is a stock headed, forged 347 with a futral fm14 cam. 6spd, 4.11 gears in the moser 12 bolt.

I let my friend craig drive my car, as he can shift like something ******* serious, and hes a good 120 lbs lighter than I am.

They hit the road, I hang back at the parking lot to shoot the **** with some people, hoping my car will come back with the victory.

Sure enough, I get a call about 10 minutes later "SS by 5"

Won 20 bucks off of them, so it wasn't so bad. The BMW guys had an entire crew, and were a bit pissed off they just got walked by a pump gas, all motor stock headed LS1.

Also in the video are some runs against an EVO with alot of bolt ons, mid to high 12 second car. He couldn't get it off the line even launching it off the limiter too.

Right Click, Save As

Sorry for the poor video filming quality. Loaned my camera to some people that had never touched it before But its all good.. it gets the point across.

So in conclusion, Cam only SS from a roll on pump gas, factory heads.

Is >

Turbo 3.2L M3. Pushing 17 lbs of boost on race fuel, with a 3.15 gear under it and gutted interior.
You finally get yourself an ls6 intake ? Or are you still running on the ls1 intake ? Good kill man.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you must be proud of your car...evidently it runs good.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

You let someone else race your car?

btw, tell your friend Great Kill!

Sounds like you have got the car running real nice tho!
Old 09-11-2006, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

The SS is a Yamaha 1100.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Yea, I let someone else race my car for alot of reasons. First and most important is the fact that the man I let drive, is 150 lbs compared to my 285.

I can shift my car just fine. Infact, probaly alot better than most.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...46034297&hl=en

However I wanted the car light as possible, and to be as fast as possible. I really had a point to prove with the race.

Sorry about the video quality, its not near what I normally try and get out. Once again, we made it just to prove the point. I can't help it people trip out when they see my car crack off in people's asses.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Evo needs an ls1
Old 09-11-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Nice, good kills! That evo bogged real bad, that was funny after it looked like he tried so hard, your car was long gone before he even started to spool again, lol. He probably dropped the clutch and that's not the best thing to do with an awd, as you can tell, lol. Also nice job with the bmw, sound's like your car is set up real well for the mods it has.

I gotta agree with what someone else said about the talking in the video, that just made the video look bad, but oh well better than nothing, thanks for posting the vid.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Teching In

One of my friends just sent me the link to this page.

OK first of all...that car is awesome...nice vid, nice car.

BUT

I have to call BS on the specs on that M3...it doesn't have what you/or he claim it has.

I don't want to start a war here so please don't take it that way. I'm from a BMW forum and have been around these cars for a long time, and regardless of what you think, that car was not running 17psi...end of story.

A stock M3 with an S52 swap and an AA turbo running 14psi runs a 12.2 in the quarter...thats without gears, a stripped interior, or race fuel. It will put down 460 bhp and 370 ft/lbs at 4500 rpms. At 17 PSI + Race, the car would be pushing up to 550...the weight savings could also be upwards of 600-700 lbs, which indicates that the car would be in the mid to low 11s.

I don't know what kind of times your car runs, but I can assure you that the car you beat did not have those specs unless it was running on 3 cylinders...
Old 09-12-2006, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Old 09-12-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

I think a win only counts if YOU are driving your car not someone else. What the hell fun is that?
Old 09-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ineedashortblock
However I wanted the car light as possible, and to be as fast as possible. I really had a point to prove with the race.
If you had a point to prove, then wouldn't it actually MEAN something if YOU drove your OWN car?

I can have a friend of mine drive my car to beat someone that has been talking **** or whatever the case may be, but even after that I would still be in no possition to talk since I DID NOT drive my own car.

Tell you pal good runs.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

You are right the m3 wasn't running that much boost...If the M3 was running that much boost he would have blown his motor and scattered parts on the street. M3 cars are nice for what they are...don't try to make them something that they are not.

Originally Posted by david05111
One of my friends just sent me the link to this page.

OK first of all...that car is awesome...nice vid, nice car.

BUT

I have to call BS on the specs on that M3...it doesn't have what you/or he claim it has.

I don't want to start a war here so please don't take it that way. I'm from a BMW forum and have been around these cars for a long time, and regardless of what you think, that car was not running 17psi...end of story.

A stock M3 with an S52 swap and an AA turbo running 14psi runs a 12.2 in the quarter...thats without gears, a stripped interior, or race fuel. It will put down 460 bhp and 370 ft/lbs at 4500 rpms. At 17 PSI + Race, the car would be pushing up to 550...the weight savings could also be upwards of 600-700 lbs, which indicates that the car would be in the mid to low 11s.

I don't know what kind of times your car runs, but I can assure you that the car you beat did not have those specs unless it was running on 3 cylinders...
Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by v8hunter
You are right the m3 wasn't running that much boost...If the M3 was running that much boost he would have blown his motor and scattered parts on the street. M3 cars are nice for what they are...don't try to make them something that they are not.

Actually, it was only on 14 lbs of boost and c16 race gas.

The car has major traction problems. Then again my car traps 118-120, and it would take 450 rwhp in that m3 to do the same thing. Spin and I hook, and hes not going to catch up.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by v8hunter
You obviously know nothing about BMW motors.