Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

bolt-ons just dont cut it

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bolt-ons just dont cut it

well... for the past year ive had the fastest car on my block until now....

i have a bolt-on A4 01 z28 and have been the envy of all the neighborhood kids.... until the guy across the street got a c5 vette.. when i saw it in his driveway 2 months ago i went over there and shot the **** with him for awhile and he planned to keep it completly stock (i can take a stock c5 so i wasnt to worried).......i didnt see him driving it at all for the past 2 weeks but saw it in the garage so i thought he was just keepin the miles off of it....

yesterday i see that he put lambo doors on it (i am not a fan of lambo doors but actually didnt look bad on his vette).... so i decide to go over there and my mouth hit the floor when i saw under his hood.... he put on a vortec supercharger polished of course, a zex nitrous system 150 shot but said he is droppin down to 75 shot, headers and is ordering borla exaust..... i am officially jelouse..

well anyways i couldnt get his car out of my head all day.. so i end up going to the movies w/ a few people (Beerfest is a funny *** movie) and i of course told them about his badass vette and how i wanna be faster now..... well on my way back from the movies i look for a race to boost my confidence.... unfortunatly the only car i found was my buddies 03 cobra that just had an engine swap last month (he is runnin low low 11's) so i know i had no chance... we take off from the light like normal and around 30 i mash it.... he didnt miss a beat and was on the gas instanly.. i pulled a car and a half on him (because he was all sorts of side ways) and i held on pretty good till he eventually ran me down....we then catch the next light... again from a 30 roll but he nails it first (me being dum accidently shifts it down to 2nd (thinking i was in OD and going into D) and he obviously left me bad.....

so now i want something bigger and better and faster then both of them..... i wanted to do h/c combo but i think im gonna have to go with an entire new motor (im gonna have to save a ton of money).....
Old 09-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Well you pretty muched summed up how modding began. Somebody had something faster and the next guy was like screw you. Then it began! LOL!

Thats how my modding started about 4yrs ago on my SS. I went to the local street races, raced a boosted civic, got my *** handed to me, came on here crying and complaining, 4 months later I went from stock to H/C/I Stall. I swore to myself I would leave it stock, but hell I just put a 408 Th400 and True Duals on, so I guess it just don't stop.
Anyway Good luck!!
Old 09-11-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like you are going to have to go big to take out that s/c vette. H/C/I + 100 shot and maybe gears...or you could go with your other idea and drop a new motor in, then you can go as fast as your $$$ will take you. Well, I guess that is true either way...
Old 09-11-2006, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

408, nitrous.
Enough said.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya those procharged vettes are pretty sick but if he doesnt have tires you will kill him from a dig. but i would say just do H/C/ stall, and 150 shot and then say bye bye.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Dont worry his motor wont stay together long enough for it to matter.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was thinkin 408 8.5:1 CR and an ati procharger....... but if i do that it will take me atleast a year unless i take out a loan or charge up some of the plastics... or become a hitman..i have alot of thinkin to do.... and i know no matter what i do somebody will be faster but i atleast wanna pwn that vette...ahh its so sweet i hate it... im gonna put my 12bolt and stall in mine now...

this is off topic but car ramrod...ha i love supertroopers... u see club dred or puddle crusiers or beerfest (im guessing yes to all) .. those guys kick ***... dukes of hazard was a lil off of what they do but still pretty good.....
Old 09-11-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

Vortech AND Nitrous ???!!!

First time you run him he'll probably blow the motor. If you like the guy, suggest that he forget the nitrous until he builds the motor.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea unless hes running a forged shortblock and has a spot on tune your going to be faster than him in about a month when his engine grenades...did he say anything about upgrading the stock engine or maybe is he hiding a forged stroked LSx in there? Anyways back to your modding, what would you prefer? Turbo, SC, or nitrous? As someone else said id go with either a forged 402 or a forged 408, toss on some patriot stage 3 6.0 heads (if you can afford it go with some ETPs/AFR's/TFS's), fast 90/90, kooks 1 7/8th headers, big cam (say texas giant cam) if your spraying or go with a slightly smaller cam if your going FI. If its FI your going strap an F1 procharger onto it and you will have more than enough to walk that vette. Gotta remeber though your going to need a very well built auto tranny with a bullet proof torque converter, some suspension work, badass fuel system, tuning, etc...so it wont be cheap but you will def have morwe than enough for the vette.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by presto_z
well... for the past year ive had the fastest car on my block until now....

i have a bolt-on A4 01 z28 and have been the envy of all the neighborhood kids.... until the guy across the street got a c5 vette.. when i saw it in his driveway 2 months ago i went over there and shot the **** with him for awhile and he planned to keep it completly stock (i can take a stock c5 so i wasnt to worried).......i didnt see him driving it at all for the past 2 weeks but saw it in the garage so i thought he was just keepin the miles off of it....

yesterday i see that he put lambo doors on it (i am not a fan of lambo doors but actually didnt look bad on his vette).... so i decide to go over there and my mouth hit the floor when i saw under his hood.... he put on a vortec supercharger polished of course, a zex nitrous system 150 shot but said he is droppin down to 75 shot, headers and is ordering borla exaust..... i am officially jelouse..

well anyways i couldnt get his car out of my head all day.. so i end up going to the movies w/ a few people (Beerfest is a funny *** movie) and i of course told them about his badass vette and how i wanna be faster now..... well on my way back from the movies i look for a race to boost my confidence.... unfortunatly the only car i found was my buddies 03 cobra that just had an engine swap last month (he is runnin low low 11's) so i know i had no chance... we take off from the light like normal and around 30 i mash it.... he didnt miss a beat and was on the gas instanly.. i pulled a car and a half on him (because he was all sorts of side ways) and i held on pretty good till he eventually ran me down....we then catch the next light... again from a 30 roll but he nails it first (me being dum accidently shifts it down to 2nd (thinking i was in OD and going into D) and he obviously left me bad.....

so now i want something bigger and better and faster then both of them..... i wanted to do h/c combo but i think im gonna have to go with an entire new motor (im gonna have to save a ton of money).....
I can already tell how this is going to go. Your going to end up wasting TONS of money only to end up selling your car in frustration. You have the wrong attitude. You need to modify and enjoy your car for yourself and no one else. If your always worried about what everyone else is doing, you will never be happy. Trying to compete with someone like that is going to be a long miserable road only to lead to a dead end. It's even worse when the guy has a seriously healthy bank account. Your actually going to spend the next year saving up just so you can beat the vette? When he finds out you have some serious mods and want to race, he will drop another 10 grand in mods in the next day. You can't beat someone like that. Just enjoy your car and don't worry about him.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackMagicC5
I can already tell how this is going to go. Your going to end up wasting TONS of money only to end up selling your car in frustration. You have the wrong attitude. You need to modify and enjoy your car for yourself and no one else. If your always worried about what everyone else is doing, you will never be happy. Trying to compete with someone like that is going to be a long miserable road only to lead to a dead end. It's even worse when the guy has a seriously healthy bank account. Your actually going to spend the next year saving up just so you can beat the vette? When he finds out you have some serious mods and want to race, he will drop another 10 grand in mods in the next day. You can't beat someone like that. Just enjoy your car and don't worry about him.
Excellent post sir. I agree 110% and could not have said it better myself
Old 09-12-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i have 2 camaros an 01z28 and a 94z28.. i was originally planning on building the 94 for track only but recently decided to keep it as a dd and was planning on doing a cam on the 01 (the 10bolt is shot in it so 12 bolt will be in soon so i will already have a strong enough rear for the upgade)... i am not building this just to beat his vette.. ive been rockin out on boltons for a while and i want more, im NOT doing this out of jelousy (although i wish i had that vette) i am doing this out of my passion for fast and even faster cars... my car is fast but i want it even faster... i have a decent ammount of internal engine experience on non lsx engines so i would be building it myself..... i was going to do a cam then i know in 6 months i would want more prolly end up doing heads and then upgrade from ls6 intake to a FAST intake... every body wishes they were faster then the other guy EVERYBODY....but i realize that there will always be somebody faster no matter what i have.... and yes he prolly will dump 10g's in his motor when he finds out what my plans are or after he blows the stock internal one he has now...black magic and darren i appretiate your concern and my decision isnt final i realize i have alot of thinking to do
Old 09-12-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

perfectly said!
Old 09-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Banned

Another excellent post Black Magic.
I agree 100%. Even though modding your car some to take out an unexpecting victim can be fun , but you shouldn't go to war over it.

People who own Black car's have the best posts
Old 09-12-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by burnzilla
I 100% agree!

But I think the op is modding his car for the right reasons. He is modding it for himself, because he wants to go faster...the vette down the street is just a little motivation, and bonus satisfaction when he beats it!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by burnzilla
Old 09-13-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by presto_z
well i have 2 camaros an 01z28 and a 94z28.. i was originally planning on building the 94 for track only but recently decided to keep it as a dd and was planning on doing a cam on the 01 (the 10bolt is shot in it so 12 bolt will be in soon so i will already have a strong enough rear for the upgade)... i am not building this just to beat his vette.. ive been rockin out on boltons for a while and i want more, im NOT doing this out of jelousy (although i wish i had that vette) i am doing this out of my passion for fast and even faster cars... my car is fast but i want it even faster... i have a decent ammount of internal engine experience on non lsx engines so i would be building it myself..... i was going to do a cam then i know in 6 months i would want more prolly end up doing heads and then upgrade from ls6 intake to a FAST intake... every body wishes they were faster then the other guy EVERYBODY....but i realize that there will always be somebody faster no matter what i have.... and yes he prolly will dump 10g's in his motor when he finds out what my plans are or after he blows the stock internal one he has now...black magic and darren i appretiate your concern and my decision isnt final i realize i have alot of thinking to do
It's totally cool to mod your car because you want to beat someone but don't let that become your only motivating factor. If you understand what I said, and agree, and keep that in mind, you will be fine. All I'm saying is not to get too caught up in what everyone else has, it'll take the fun out of it. Just some friendly advice. Enjoy the ride.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Hehe your story really hits home with me. I was content with my car and my planned mods were small. Yeah that ended the day I raced my friends C5 TT Vette. I have him to blame for all the money I've been sinking into my car lately. While I doubt I'll ever beat his car but I plan to atleast put up a better fight.

I think you should make you vette buddy pay for 1/2 your mods. It's only fair..
Old 09-13-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)

theres always a faster car out there, remember that.

i learned the hard way when i got pulled by a rich kid's srt4

oh well. its just more motivation!
Old 09-16-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

408 Tt