Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

First race in the Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking First race in the Trans Am

Welp its been a long while since I have a chance to line up next to someone and have a go at it.

I got my SLP Flow Pack kit but its not installed yet, I am doing that tommorrow, but when I get the dyno I will switch it back to stock to base line her.

The only thing I have done is put on M/T ET Street Radials. My best bud's brother has a 02 Pewter Z28, 6-speed(spec3, pro5.0,short stick), Pace setter headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Eastside cam(mild), Ported LS6 heads, and Cold Air on street tires. The car dynoed with CATS 409 rwhp. I am guessing that I will do 300-310 before the CAI kit. As for weight I wager car for car mine is heavier, and person for person the other driver is much lighter.

We ended up having 3 runs.....

1) 20mph roll. I was able to get it down to 1st gear, 3 beeps and I peg it. I swing the tach to 6k (or there abouts), shift and I have pulled ahead at least 1 car, I near red line and tried for 3rd, I didnt miss it but I couldnt find it for a split second. Once in then he started to pull me and we shut down.

2) 45-50mph roll. I started from 2nd, once the beeps came. I basically stayed even until 3rd when he started to pull.

3) Dead stop. No burnout, 3 beeps. I raised the revs but it bogged. I still got out 1-1/2 to 2 lengths and the car shifted great. I was half way into 4th gear before he started to catch up and pull past me. I wager if it was the 1/4 it be about the 1000 Foot mark.

For being a bone stocker car racing a car that has a easy 100 rwhp over me I did fairly well. What sucks for him is that he has street tires and they are near useless. But again thats not my problem.

I was shopping for LT's and I may or may not do them this year. It all depends on my budget.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you have been on here long enough to know some thin is wrong when a 409hp car cant pull on a stock ls1. I dont know whats goning on but there must be something wrong with his car.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me raise this for ya

Unless he had NO tractions what so ever with his "Useless tires" then he should have raped you some bad. Especially from a roll.......
Old 12-30-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00TAProject
Let me raise this for ya

Unless he had NO tractions what so ever with his "Useless tires" then he should have raped you some bad. Especially from a roll.......
Thats what Im sayin as well. Looks like this guy has been around here long enough to know better
Old 12-30-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

good runs. doesnt sound right unless he was spinning those tires though. next time tape it to put our doubts to rest.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

especially in race number 2 from a 45-50 roll, it shoulda been very ugly. He shouldn't have much traction problems up there unless he doesn't know how to drive his car or just got impatient.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:12 AM
Internet Mechanic

Well here is the deal he isnt the best stick driver. We are going to redyno the car this month, this what it did when the previous owner had it.

He has street tires and they are not drag radials, he was spinning. I really dont care if you think I should know better, just posting a race that happend.

For the 2nd race he beat me good, I start from 2nd, around 4k run it until I shifted and when I hit 3rd he was clearing pulling. The only thing that could have happed in the 1st race was I was able to go to 1st, if he started in 2nd. I get a jump then by the 2-3 shift he pulls past. I dont call it a raping but he won.

My car has been to the track, by prev owner it did 13.4 at 105, so I expect him in the 115 range it should be a raping, thats why we want to dyno mine for a baseline and to recheck his.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have almost the same mods as he does and i raced my friend in a stock 02 ta and killed him every time. I mean it wasnt even close for a second and we were both running stock tires.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by jamesSS
good runs. doesnt sound right unless he was spinning those tires though. next time tape it to put our doubts to rest.

This was a spur of the moment thing, if I did, id be happy to post it. Oh well, but again I dont really care of people doubt, racing on paper is one thing, but when your lined up, as much as your racing the car, your racing the driver.

He is not great driver, does not power shift (we just rebuilt his t-56 which was mangled by prev owner). Personally, and I did not want to tell my friend with the camaro that the car is probably going to dyno high 300's, but I'd like to be wrong and be it he is just a crappy driver.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:33 AM

I can say for sure that this is the way it happened. I was there and my brother is the one he raced and backed up the stories. I have a cam only Z28 making 420 rwhp and when I've raced my brother I pulled about 1.5 cars from 50mph to 120mph. I can definitely drive better than he can and my car does pull a little harder then his. I can also attest to the fact that my brother's car breaks loose in 2nd since the roads got cold. Hell, my car went a little sideways tonight when I shifted 3rd at 70mph and I'm on Nittos.

The first race, my brother started in 2nd and BSM started in 1st. That'll make a huge difference. Once in the powerband he pulled ahead.

The second race they started around 50mph. That leaves only 20mph for second which isn't alot of time to pull, especially if one started even a split second before the other. After that he started to pull.

Third race was from a stop. 100 extra hp or not, MT radials against tires that don't hook up in second and that's what you get.

Believe it or don't, that's how it happened.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Launching!

I believe it, a good driver vs. an unexperienced driver in any race could make a world of difference. Plus I read alot of your guys posts on fbody.com (ScreaminRedZ, BlackScreaminMachine) and never has it ever seemed like you guys are talkin out your ***'.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Well, seeing as how I am the one he raced, I feel I should put in my point of view on the races. First of all, next time we will take a camera to get a video for you guys.

First race: we slowed way down because he wanted to go from a stop (his radials versus my street tires), but there were cars coming up from behind, so I wouldn't stop. With the power my car is making, I have NO NO NO traction in first gear. It is absolutely useless, so I stayed in second while he shifted down to first. Therefore, he was punching it at probably 4000-4500rpm while I was down around 2000. He pulled probably 2 cars on me until I hit a decent power range, then I started pulling him back. Slow shift to third for me (I guess he also had a slow shift) because I haven't had much experience driving a six speed, then by high in third I caught him and started pulling away. By fourth I was pulling away hard.

Second race: needs more elaboration. We were both in second and I pulled a tiny bit because we were fairly high in second and only had maybe 15-20 mph in that gear, we shifted to third and I immediately started pulling hard, by fourth there were quite a few lengths and we (or at least I) shut down.

Third race: Dead stop, no burnouts, 3 beeps, his drag radials versus my street tires. I have never raced/driven a standard from a stop before, so I was terrible, not to mention (like I said) I have NO traction in first, so I spun a bit even though I was lightly feathering it. He pulled out, I would guess at least 1 1/2 to 2 cars. I caught him by the top of second, but completely missed third and took a second to find it and get it back in, so of course he pulled away a bit again. By the end of third I had caught him and then missed the shift to fourth, so I just shut down about half a car in front of him without ever getting into third.

***FOURTH RACE: We came to a stop, but cars were coming up fast, so I started to roll very slowly, figuring we would start from a roll. He launched and got a bit of a jump (I moved first, so no complaints from me). Once again, I was in first, so I spun quite a bit and had to feather it. He pulled about 2 cars, I was right on him by the end of second, then through third and fourth I think I put quite a few cars between us.

I will admit that I should be doing way better than this and he did do very well considering what he was racing, but what it comes down to is a few things: he had drag radials, is a much better driver, I am still learning how to really drive a 6 speed, I have no traction in first, and I tend to miss shifts and/or shift very slowly. We both had a passenger, but he almost surely had more weight in his car, so I definitely have to give him that. I do not believe my car lost any power from when the previous owner dynoed it (I still think it's in the low 400 range because I raced ScreaminRedZ a few times and he didn't pull too much if you take into consideration our shifting differences). I just need to learn how to drive my car and get some tires. I definitely pulled very hard on BlackScreamin whenever we both got going, but a real race is driver vs. driver from a stop, and in that regards he is much better. I do not believe he BSed anything in this post, and I am admitting that as the other driver with a car that should be making about 100 more rwhp. Aaron knows what he is doing and what he is talking about. I hope this cleared things up for you guys. SORRY AARON! DIDN'T MEAN TO STEAL YOUR POST!
Old 12-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Internet Mechanic

Joe, you can always invade my post, it ill boost up your post count
Old 12-31-2006, 11:13 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 99RebelZ28
I believe it, a good driver vs. an unexperienced driver in any race could make a world of difference. Plus I read alot of your guys posts on fbody.com (ScreaminRedZ, BlackScreaminMachine) and never has it ever seemed like you guys are talkin out your ***'.
Thanks man I appreciate. Id post this on Fbody but its been down for 2 days
Old 12-31-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

People have got to understand that the faster car doesn't always win. I believe the outcome. The guy with the Z28 just doesn't know how to race in a manual.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by J E T
People have got to understand that the faster car doesn't always win. I believe the outcome. The guy with the Z28 just doesn't know how to race in a manual.
Thats Exactly right!