Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 Kill by a Third Gen

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:20 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 305 302eater
I don't know if you can tell its not track season yet. I will as soon as it opens.
Well you gotta realize, I live in Dallas. I'm going to the track next weekend
Old 01-29-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

I'll be there in five min
lol it'll be a nice 12 hour drive and you can enjoy the scenery
Old 01-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Teching In

101 is an awesome drive. I think you can take it close to all the way?

Our track opens in April. Boo.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Well you gotta realize, I live in Dallas. I'm going to the track next weekend
Ok sorry i live in washington. The local track doesent open till aprill 6th
Old 01-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

As for the 3rd gens handling better than the 4th:

Like I posted before, full modded iroc went 2 tenths slower than my stock 95 t/a, but it also handled worse. I had plenty of suspension mods on my iroc as well. Gutted the interior down to one race seat, new kuhmo tires. It was just a waste of time!! Those third gens are only worth a damn if they are setup with high compression, stroked, or big cammed carb motors or as someone here posted, ls swaps. Not what I would call an opinion either. I just got rid of my iroc after I bought my t/a and raced both cars at the track on one night (not both cars at once incase someone is deciding to make an angered remark).
Old 01-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Just to add some more fuel to the flame:

Mustangs are a waste also. I bought my wife an 01 GT w/ 40k miles last year. My Iroc took it out by 3 tenths 14.38 to a 14.6. I had the cats cut off the stang, flowmasters and an h pipe, underdrive pullies and a k&n filter. LT1, LT4, LS1 just makes it so much easier to be proud of your car.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WONCAMARO

Mustangs are a waste also. I bought my wife an 01 GT w/ 40k miles last year. My Iroc took it out by 3 tenths 14.38 to a 14.6. I had the cats cut off the stang, flowmasters and an h pipe, underdrive pullies and a k&n filter. LT1, LT4, LS1 just makes it so much easier to be proud of your car.
see this guy is saying he ran a 14.38 in his iroc. o And the stang is a fox body. Very easy to make fast but very ugly.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Like I posted before, full modded iroc went 2 tenths slower than my stock 95 t/a, but it also handled worse. I had plenty of suspension mods on my iroc as well. Gutted the interior down to one race seat, new kuhmo tires. It was just a waste of time!! Those third gens are only worth a damn if they are setup with high compression, stroked, or big cammed carb motors or as someone here posted, ls swaps. Not what I would call an opinion either. I just got rid of my iroc after I bought my t/a and raced both cars at the track on one night (not both cars at once incase someone is deciding to make an angered remark).
2 tenths slower on a auto X or dragstrip? I always wanted to test the theory myself but unfortunately I don't have a 90 IROC and B4C camaro or Firehawk at the present moment.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:19 AM
***Repost Police***

If you run a 14.6 in a bolt-on 99-04 GT, you either have a lemon, or you need some practice...
Old 01-30-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My iroc went 11.97 N/A with basic bolt on suspension pieces, a 7.5 10 bolt, and a .060 dartII headed 4-bolt 350, .610/.617 cam, single plane, and through a non-lockup 700R-4. 3rd gens are not a waste if you know what your doing, I've been through a few myself, also done the LS1 swap too. As far as the author of this thread goes, arguing with them is pointless, in all 4th gen owners and everyone else's mine 3rd gen=turdgen. the TBI cars were slow, but I have seen factory freaks in many other cars so I won't doubt you just say that it's VERY uncommon. I believe you if you said you did because I have seen alot worse vehicles surprise me. Your best bet will be to get a timeslip or a video or something and even then you'll have people calling fake or photoshop so in all reality it's not even worth it because people will believe what they want no matter what you try to do to prove them wrong. If you know you beat an LT1 and you know what your car does, leave it at that and show anyone that wants to race what it has, internet talking is just that, talking.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by phoenix1987
A TPI L98 will beat a Ls1 from a dig for a little bit. up to 30? I am talking stock cars. TPI is the torque king at low RPM. I had 305 tpi in my third gen before the ls1 and it was quick before 40.

Don't flame me becuase I will probly never look at this thread again. Just wanted to point out that l98's are torque monsters. I would like to see a 305 tbi car beat an lt1.
L98's are torquey motors, 305's however are not. your comparing apples to oranges.. and this is still a ******* dick measuring contest. some one let me know when this **** gets resolved, theres got to be some LT1's in that area.. and if/when they end up racing make sure to put the camera man in the LT1... sure the video will only show the open road ahead but it will leave no excuses for the 305tbi camaro
Old 01-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

I am in texas. I will race a stock or modded third gen with the camera in my car. Setup a race day at san antonio raceway and I'll be there. Sounds like fun to me. Also, 1fstz71, U had a lot of $ in your iroc. My point is that an lt or ls car can put down better numbers for less money than stripping out a tuned port car and starting from scratch. I had a ton of $ in my iroc. Never got to run it with the new motor I put in, but the old one wasn't cheap either and pennies to pennies, I have spend not even a third of the $ on my LT1 t/a and put down better numbers already. Those third gen cockroaches look cool when you put the time into them. They are just too much of a money pit.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in texas. I will race a stock or modded third gen with the camera in my car. Setup a race day at san antonio raceway and I'll be there. Sounds like fun to me. Also, 1fstz71, U had a lot of $ in your iroc. My point is that an lt or ls car can put down better numbers for less money than stripping out a tuned port car and starting from scratch. I had a ton of $ in my iroc. Never got to run it with the new motor I put in, but the old one wasn't cheap either and pennies to pennies, I have spend not even a third of the $ on my LT1 t/a and put down better numbers already. Those third gen cockroaches look cool when you put the time into them. They are just too much of a money pit.

if i was still in dallas, id call you out to ennis.

how would you like to be whooped on by a convertible RS??
Old 01-30-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
if i was still in dallas, id call you out to ennis.

how would you like to be whooped on by a convertible RS??
I'll race you on the spray in my vert lol
Old 01-30-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZFan88
I'll race you on the spray in my vert lol
hmm... so you're going to spray?
then i guess id spray too...

lol, short story:

this local guy had a new edge mustang and talked alot of ****.. his car was gutted, had suspension and it hooked.... but it was the stock 4.6.
he got decent times by spraying it.

he wanted to race me...(we both **** talked alot)

well, he hit harder times, but still talked ****.
the kit he had now was borrowed, with the understanding that if his friend found someone to buy the kit, it was gone.

well, we found out about it, and pitched together and bought the kit from under him... easy win now.
but we wanted to kick it up a notch... so i tossed the kit on my car.... quickie job with everything under a set of fuel rail covers... lol.

goal was to beat him with his own spray...

he never showed though

we did sell the kit for a profit afterward.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

What are you spraying? A third gen with a new motor swap would be my dream car
Old 01-30-2007, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i were to get a video of me taking one out then would you believe me?... You guys would probably think it was rigged somehow.
I agree with the guy that said you need to video tape a 1/4 mile pass. Then if we see you trap low to mid 90's we'll know the races were BS. If we see you trapping triple digits then we'll know the car has more done to it then you are telling us.

Either way it'll tell the story. A or B
Old 01-30-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZFan88
What are you spraying? A third gen with a new motor swap would be my dream car

it can take the same 150 shot as any other LS1.... but im not spraying anything at the moment.

it DOES have TR6s in her... all i need to do is mount a bottle in the back, run the lines and some wires and she'll take it.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:34 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
hmm... so you're going to spray?
then i guess id spray too...

lol, short story:

this local guy had a new edge mustang and talked alot of ****.. his car was gutted, had suspension and it hooked.... but it was the stock 4.6.
he got decent times by spraying it.

he wanted to race me...(we both **** talked alot)

well, he hit harder times, but still talked ****.
the kit he had now was borrowed, with the understanding that if his friend found someone to buy the kit, it was gone.

well, we found out about it, and pitched together and bought the kit from under him... easy win now.
but we wanted to kick it up a notch... so i tossed the kit on my car.... quickie job with everything under a set of fuel rail covers... lol.

goal was to beat him with his own spray...

he never showed though

we did sell the kit for a profit afterward.
That's kinda... sheisty...
Old 01-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Launching!

hey Irunelevens what's that stang running?