Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got what I had coming to me, raced a Viper and Turbo'd Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got what I had coming to me, raced a Viper and Turbo'd Eclipse

So yesterday started out great. I slept through my morning classes. I had a test an homework due in my afternoon classes so I head on up to class around 1pm.

Im heading down the road and I see a red viper coming up, one of the first couple years 400hp model. We both end up next to each other at a light and i give him a thumbs up and he smugly nods. The light goes green and he rolls off the line and i hang and he starts to floor it as he sees i can hang. I got really squirrely in 2nd and he got a little bit ahead but i started coming back in 3rd, and then he backed off and exited. Dont know if he was really trying, but i hope he was, lol

Then three minutes later i see a fast and furious eclipse coming up. This thing had it all, and it was actually done right, full body kit, lowered, nice rims, gages everywhere, flashy paint job, and a big old intercooler up front. Hes prolly got $10-15k sunk into the car and im hoping i might actually get a race.

Well we finally get a little gap in traffic between us and the cars in front. Hes behind me and he punches it as hes coming up, so hes a car and a half up before ive shifted out of 6th. I drop it into 3rd and was up to his rear bumper and dropped it into 4th and sailed by. We got a couple of good runs in with the same result, he fell behind a little in 3rd and in 4th i pulled away.

So im all in a good mood cause i got two nice runs in and im definitely going to be on time to class due to all the speeding. and i notice my rpms and oil pressure drop. (i was in traffic at this point and barely moving). they came back up a bit and then i heard this naasty sounding grinding and im like crap, is something grinding that bad after the quick oil pressure drop? then i see smoke and i pull over. Popped the hood and the serpentine belt is broke. and at this point im 40 minutes from home and 20 from school, damnit.

So i know im gonna miss my first class, but luckily my test was in the second class. I call my mom, she brings up a new belt an hour later, i throw it on. Fire her up and bam, more smoke. The bearings in the water pump crapped out and the pulley wasnt spinning. So now i know im screwed and i call the tow truck and 2 hours later im home, I missed all of my classes that day, and im out $300 after the towing and new water pump and belts and stuff.

Maybe thats what i get for racing, oh well. Time to go put on the water pump and then its off to work.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Teching In

That womps dude, But parts wear. Im going to be replacing my belt soon. Good Kill though, really sucks you mist your test. Hopefully your teach wont be a bitch about it.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Nice kills. Looks like that Viper owner can't handle a loss, and an eclipse owner knows that he should've spent less on the looks and more on the motor now.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BoOsTeDeAgLe
and an eclipse owner knows that he should've spent less on the looks and more on the motor now.

and i'm surprised with the viper outcome. maybe he wasn't totally on it or maybe he can't drive, but either way, sounds like he was a little too cocky and got what was coming to him, haha. nice kills. sorry about the problems, though.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Nice kills Way to show the F-Body!

At least it wasn't a internal engine problem
Old 02-28-2007, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

**** brakes all the time when raceing or from racing. Part of the game/ nature of the beast.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Really nice kill man sux about the WP and belt but at least you had fun doin it. I gotta change my serpentine belt soon too.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Launching!

If the Viper was a 93-96 rt10 like you think it was..It has 400 HP and dynos 360-370 rwhp on average with a weight of 3400 pounds..

Those cars averaged 12.7-13.3 at 109-113 mph in all the magazines ( think near dead even run for C6 or 03 Cobra)...

With your new intake Im guessing you'll dyno around 340 rwhp...With your 4.10 gears vrs the Vipers 3.07's i defiently think he was trying and it was just a close race.

Good runs