02 camaro vs. early 90's Talon

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ha ha

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Yes, because everyone knows F-Bodys and Mustangs can't handle

******* dumbass, you are the definition of "stupid ricer".
thanx for that i was just messin with the guy .thay take **** to seriously.ive owned 2 really fast dsms .they are very fun to drive but too expensive to drag race.i reall busted alot of **** and in my neck of the woods parts are very hard to find.he didnt even notice my 89 mustang has a turbo 4 banger.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

this thread is priceless.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Yes, because everyone knows F-Bodys and Mustangs can't handle

******* dumbass, you are the definition of "stupid ricer".

why don't you challenge these ricers to a race then.....mah man? what city and state do you live in? this thread's going on forever. make a move already.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98Bird
why don't you challenge these ricers to a race then.....mah man? what city and state do you live in? this thread's going on forever. make a move already.
Because its a waste of my time. I don't care how much money these retards dump into their shitty cars, they will still be shitty.

You can polish a turd but it will always be a turd.

There is nothing to prove. Not to mention I don't want to meet thoese morons in real life. They are dumb enough on the internet.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Because its a waste of my time. I don't care how much money these retards dump into their shitty cars, they will still be shitty.

There is nothing to prove. Not to mention I don't want to meet thoese morons in real life. They are dumb enough on the internet.
Just man up already and admit that your worried you'll get your *** handed to you and lose the respect that you already don't have on this site.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow dsm thread.
Ok first things first. Been a v8 guy since 16 years old. 49 years old now. Old man to most of you young bucks.First car was 400 bandit trans am. Had lots of second gen trans ams, v6 fieros, v8 vega swap and v8 monza pro street. Owned a speed shop built some rad cars mostly just v8s. Rat motors ,supercharged rat motors.Back around 1997 or so started back into f bodies. 96 ta first ,traded to 97 ta ws6 modded that up decently but no just light bolt ons. Then upgraded to current 99 taws6. You can see mods on it and see have deposit on twin turbo aps kit. Plans for 99 are like 408 or 427,9 inch,yada yada. I love my ls1s. I love lt1s. I love old big block and small block f bodies. Old muscle like chevelles etc.
But ..and here it the big but..I love dsms. I have had 5 dsms. Currently have 91 auto talon awd becoming a dedicated race car. Have 91 awd talon turbo bought to sell, 91 laser fwd turbo bought to sell. Owned a 92 pretty heavily modded up talon turbo awd and now a 97 super highly modded turbo awd.
Some facts. Most of my older dsms had over 150,000 miles on them. Original motors.Original trannies.Original rear ends. Don't exactly sound too unreliable does it?
Yes they have some weak spots. Engine is interference and pistons can hit the valves if timing belt goes. Timing belt is supposed to be changed out at 60,000 miles. Many don't do it ,its pain and can cost a bit to have done. Balance belt can also break and take engine by wrapping around the timing belt. Solution is to take out balance shafts. Slight increase in vibration. Not a big deal. They also now make kevlar timing and balance shaft belts ,virtually unbreakable. The engines..2.0 6 bolt 4g63 ..one of best engines ever made. Capable of around 500 engine hp in stock bottom form. Are frequently revved to around 10,000 rpm with upgraded valve springs. 2.0 currently powering Shep's Talon into the 7s. Forged up but still same basic motor.
Talon clutches..yes stock pretty wimpy.Ditto on stock f body clutches. My ls1 stock clutch was done in a month or so after getting car. You slip the stock clutches you kill them. You dump ls1 clutches you bog and lose races. You dump dsm clutches you break stuff. You slip them you generally don't. There are lots of good aftermarket dsm clutches. They are actually very cheap compared to most ls1 clutches.
Yes usually for decent power in a dsm you need better clutch.
Rear ends. Early dsm had 3 bolt rear ends. Not as strong .Can break in high hp applications usually past 400 engine hp. 4 bolt rear ends stronger ,came on 92.5 and newer cars. Very strong actually. Sheps 7 second car runs stock 4 bolt with upgraded axles.
Trannies..sometimes second gear synchro goes . Sometimes its simple clutch pedal adjustment problems. And lots of times if from idiots who try to speed shift a tranny not made for speed shifting. I have had lots of dsm with no second gear synchro problem. I don't try to ram the gears in like old rock crusher camaro. And they make stronger race trans for not that bad prices. 460 le is not a very good trans. They die too. Stock f body fourth and third gen rear ends are POS. Seen them break on first pass on good drag tires in 500 hp cars. Lt1 engines have problems. intake manifold leak, optispark distributor. Ls1 have piston slap issues. Some had oil pump failure,went thru a lot of oil.
Most dsm problems are maintenance or lack of it. Most are owned by kids. They don't have two cents to spend on maintenance. They dont' do timing belt. Don't do nothing. They play with boost without support mods. Run regular fuel do to being too broke or cheap to run premium. They kill the trannys,burn up clutches,break parts.

My 97 has 5000 miles or so on it since 2.4 litre motor was build and big mods were installed. It runs over 500 engine hp daily driven. Zero problems. It is no 14 second car. Try 11 second street car. 10 second car with race gas. 650 engine hp potential.
Hype..hardly. Lots of dsm guys run at local track. See very little breakage. No more than the f bodies. Also they are very easy to work on. Most parts are cheap with large amounts of used parts out there. Great aftermarket support.
Lots and lots of people think our f bodies are crap and unreliable breaking all the time. But I have had really good luck with my lt1s and ls1. Minor things like intake manifold leak on my lt1. Water pump and alt in my 96z. Nothing in my 96ta,97 ta or 99 ta except for some factory dash cracking in my 99 ta but fixed it with some brains after gm couldn't.

I still think v8s are great. F bodies are great. Turbo f bodies are great. But I also think the dsm were great bang for the buck cars. And if some of you guys actually drove one for a bit you would come to love them.Especially the awd which crush non awd cars not on drag tires off the lights and are much better in bad weather, snow and rain.
Don't judge the cars from internet where tons of 16 year old zit faced kids own them and wreck them by being stupid or not spending a dime on maintenance. There are many guys on this forum that own them and fast ones. Believe what you want. But my 97 talon will absolutely demolish most stock and near stock ls1s and if you aren't on at least nittos in your lt1 or ls1 don't bother trying me in my 97 talon.
It won't be pretty especially from a dig.
And I have recieved tons of favorable comments when driving my 92 talon. Mostly from women. And I think the 2nd gen eclipse and talons look really good and so do many other people.Personal taste on that . Some see our ws6 as very gawdy.Mullet owner cars. I love my ws6 looks. Personal taste. So for you guys that think the dsm are total junk.Fine ,your opinion. I will just keep driving my dsms thank you very much. And for the record I do 5000 rpm stutterbox launches,shift at 7500 rpm all the time ,redline at 8000rpm and have not broken an axle,transfer case or tranny they are all stock parts. I do have high perf clutch of course and most of the car is american madein usa parts...crower rods, cams,springs,manley valves,retainers. USA made front mount intercooler. American made fuel injectors. Garrett turbo. american clutch. Car is curently at 20psi 500 engine hp. Daily driven in spring,summer and fall.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OSXer
Just man up already and admit that your worried you'll get your *** handed to you and lose the respect that you already don't have on this site.
Another stupid ricer, the pattern continues.

93 TSI dawg?? Thats one tyte whip, I'm real scared of your piece of **** riceburner

Old 05-06-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Veteran

ws6 you are mistaken. A ricer has a fart tube and decals.Dsms came with awd giving them great traction on street tires. Or fwd that are very light but do have traction problems like our rwd cars on street tires. Dsms the ones were are talking about came with turbos. Yes the non turbo ones are pretty darn slow. No arguement there. But the turbo ones rated at 200hp can be taken to 300 or so very very cheaply. Home depot boost controller,k and n, catback,100 buck fuel pump.
300 hp in a 2700 to 3100 pound car makes them close to stock or near stock lt1 or ls1.And the awd can cut great 60fts on street tires. You are hopeless Ws6. Your mind is closed. Whatever. Live in your dream world. Our ws6 are great cars but there are tons of cars out there that can hand us our ***. Stock and modded ,imports and domestics.
Several of my f body buds laughed at my 97 talon. Figured no 4 banger could smoke their *** by as much as it does on most of them except for the big modded ones with heads/cam/headers/bolt ons . They have new respect for it now. So if I am a ricer too whatever. And since you dont' list any mods in your sig we have to wonder if you even have a ws6? Maybe you are the poser?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Teching In

MY99TAWS6- Excellent posts, couldn't have said it any better myself. Same things I've been saying, but really helps when someone who knows all cars jumps in. Of course you are a ricer now you know...
Old 05-06-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes boostedeagle.I know we think a lot alike. There is some truth in both sides of the arguements. Dsms can be a pain sometimes and so can f bodies or any car for that matter. They are machines and all have their strengths and weaknesses. Gm really screwed the pooch on the fourth gen rear ends. They are s10 100hp truck rear ends.
That is sad. The optispark was crap. Lots of ls1 have piston slap problems ,no several guys on their second maybe third engine from that.Stock clutches are pretty weak. Yada yada.
I am a bit worried to go to full power on my 97 talon with stock trans,stock axles and stock center diff. They are weak leaks past 500hp or so. I intend to replace them with stronger parts next season.Then really dial up the power and have some fun.

ONESOREASSWS6 is just stirring up the pot. He might have a ws6 and he might not. He dont' give no sig of his mods and no place of residence. He could just be a poser ,lurker or maybe drives a bicycle. This is ls1tech.com not dsm.com
so its expected some will of course favor their ls1s over dsms or mustangs or whatever. That is fine. But I know the dsm can be quite reliable and will see how many ls1 cars can do 180,000 plus miles and still be on original engine and stuff.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Agreed, I don't really mind the anti-dsm comments, I kind of expect it now, but a couple people just have raging hard ons for everything anti-import*esque*.

On another note, I would be scared of breaking stuff too, that is one powerful car... what is that like 3x the original output? Ya still gotta get us some video
Old 05-06-2007, 01:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheDestroyer
so your saying a v8 has never blown up?through a piston?lol yeah ok
God crafted the LS1 from the combined elements of the earth he created and blessed by his godly power. LS1's never blow up...
Old 05-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
ws6 you are mistaken. A ricer has a fart tube and decals.Dsms came with awd giving them great traction on street tires. Or fwd that are very light but do have traction problems like our rwd cars on street tires. Dsms the ones were are talking about came with turbos. Yes the non turbo ones are pretty darn slow. No arguement there. But the turbo ones rated at 200hp can be taken to 300 or so very very cheaply. Home depot boost controller,k and n, catback,100 buck fuel pump.
300 hp in a 2700 to 3100 pound car makes them close to stock or near stock lt1 or ls1.And the awd can cut great 60fts on street tires. You are hopeless Ws6. Your mind is closed. Whatever. Live in your dream world. Our ws6 are great cars but there are tons of cars out there that can hand us our ***. Stock and modded ,imports and domestics.
Several of my f body buds laughed at my 97 talon. Figured no 4 banger could smoke their *** by as much as it does on most of them except for the big modded ones with heads/cam/headers/bolt ons . They have new respect for it now. So if I am a ricer too whatever. And since you dont' list any mods in your sig we have to wonder if you even have a ws6? Maybe you are the poser?
You're missing the point entirely.

It doesn't matter "how fast you can make them". There are other variables in the formula besides just "going fast".

See, DSM's are ugly as sin. They look like door stops. They sound HORRIBLE. With an aftermarket exhaust they will make you cringe, just like any other POS 4 banger. Why go fast in a ugly piece of **** that sound like angry bees when you can do it in a nice looking car that sounds great?? I'm sure even you can relate to that, come on now.

Not to mention reliability wise. Everyone knows those cars are built like ****, its obvious just looking at it. A DSM can turn into a huge money pit in a short matter of time, and it only gets worse with mods. Why not start with a solid platform instead of a crappy car that was built to be disposable?? It just makes no sense.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Well since I actually have both cars the ls1 and the dsm I guess that makes me a bit more knowledgeable than you ONESOREASSWS6.
Its sort of like this some people might think your girlfriend is ugly as sin and flat as a door stop and she probably makes nasty sounds when all your buds are doing her but hey to you she is probably good looking and the queen of the earth.

Guess its all a matter of personal taste. While the ws6 is indeed a cool car and again since you don't post your whereabouts or any mods or picture we have to assume you are a wannabe 16 year old ws6 owner.

I will just continue to drive my fugly horrible sounding unreliable dsm and keep smoking most of my poor f body buds especially those on street tires with my awd. And golly gee better save up for all those break downs I have had in them according to you and bunch of other 16 year old kids that could break anything in a day. With proper maintenance the cars are not much less reliable than many other cars. But of course you have actually owned one right ?

Last edited by MY99TAWS6; 05-08-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:18 AM
Teching In

You're missing the point entirely.

It doesn't matter "how fast you can make them". There are other variables in the formula besides just "going fast".

See, DSM's are ugly as sin. They look like door stops. They sound HORRIBLE. With an aftermarket exhaust they will make you cringe, just like any other POS 4 banger. Why go fast in a ugly piece of **** that sound like angry bees when you can do it in a nice looking car that sounds great?? I'm sure even you can relate to that, come on now.

Not to mention reliability wise. Everyone knows those cars are built like ****, its obvious just looking at it. A DSM can turn into a huge money pit in a short matter of time, and it only gets worse with mods. Why not start with a solid platform instead of a crappy car that was built to be disposable?? It just makes no sense.
I'm pretty sure everyone on this site knows you don't like dsm's. We can all respect that. Why continually run your mouth about something you know nothing about? Your not gonna change anyone's mind, just give it up.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Teching In

You can polish a turd? What kind of wax do you use?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
You can polish a turd? What kind of wax do you use?
your face.

I smell yet another

Another DSM fan to have lots of fun with unless Unit pulls out the .

Old 05-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Well since I actually have both cars the ls1 and the dsm I guess that makes me a bit more knowledgeable than you ONESOREASSWS6.
Its sort of like this some people might think your girlfriend is ugly as sin and flat as a door stop and she probably makes nasty sounds when all your buds are doing her but hey to you she is probably good looking and the queen of the earth.
Dude, you are a pathetic retard. You can't even have a discussion without starting in with the personal insults. Sounds like you have a lot of personal experience with your friends "doing your girl", you white trash scumbag.

Guess its all a matter of personal taste. While the ws6 is indeed a cool car and again since you don't post your whereabouts or any mods or picture we have to assume you are a wannabe 16 year old ws6 owner.
Assume what you want. I'll keep assuming you are a skinny white trash DSM *** who likes to talk **** over the internet, which is 100% accurate.

I will just continue to drive my fugly horrible sounding unreliable dsm and keep smoking most of my poor f body buds especially those on street tires with my awd. And golly gee better save up for all those break downs I have had in them according to you and bunch of other 16 year old kids that could break anything in a day. With proper maintenance the cars are not much less reliable than many other cars. But of course you have actually owned one right ?
Yea, you'll be smoking F-bodies alright, withthe blue smoke pouring out your exhaust when you blow the piston rings out of the motor. You are no different than the other DSM queers that troll this site, you claim to own an F-body, but apparently you are a ricer *** at heart. Have fun spending your life savings (doubt its much) fixing your hunk of **** riceburner
Old 05-08-2007, 10:33 AM
***Repost Police***

Bullshit that makes no sense, as usual
You realize that he has a WS6 AND a DSM, right?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Hmm think ONESOREASSWS6 got a bit hot under the skirt!
Must have hit a bit too close to home there. Most of my POS dsms are on original engines wtih over 180,000 original miles and compression is still over service limit. No oil burning some on original turbo, original trans few on original clutch. original rear also. Not saying our ls1 won't go 180,000 miles or so them might and mabye some have. My ls1 has only 12,000 miles and my lt1 66,000 .Lt1 was good just water pump and alternator. Ls1 nothing yet.Previous lt1 97 got intake manifold leak fixed ,96 ta got nothing. But traded in the 97 ta ws6 and 96 ta at low mileage.
And I have current 4 dsms , a 90 awd turbo 5 speed talon,91 fwd turbo 5 speed laser, 91 talon auto awd turbo race car and 97 turbo talon awd super modded up street car.Had 92 talon awd turbo before that. Ran fine 180,000 plus miles and highly modded.
I also have as you can see two f bodies. and can post pics of any of my cars.
Of course this guy is so dumb he will likely say not my pics but also post on local boards and some local board guys are on this board and can confirm that I ACTUALLY OWN a 99taws6, 96z and 97 talon.

SO POST YOUR PICS OF YOU AND YOUR CAR ALREADY! What can't afford a camera? Ok I will start..here are pics of my 96z28 and my 97 talon. And I know talons are fugly and I must be making up all this stuff.No dsm can actually beat an f body.But if it makes you feel any better I expect my beautiful red 99 taws6 twin turbo project to be the fastest of my cars and fastest car I have ever owned.

And the reason you get personal insults WS6 is because you come across as such an arrogant close minded head up your *** ignoramus. No one is making you like dsms but you keep going on and on about them and their reliabilty. Well I have had 5 and drove them all hard and modded them all up and have not had any of the problems you have opened your pie hole about. No blown engines, oil smoke except when pcv valve stuck. No trans problems,rear end problems.no broken axles, no timing belt disasters..NADA.ZIP. You want a reasonable discussion with no personal insults..
Then learn to be civil and have some respect for other peoples views and maybe start by proving you even own a WS6. That would be a good start. Till then your just a Wannabe WS6 owner to most of us.
And I apologize for the personal attack..I am sure it was way over your head anyway. And don't worry they even have mods for ugly women nowadays so there is hope for yours! Oh yeah forgot you think she is pretty..UMMOK..TIP 6 beer makes them all look better!

Last edited by MY99TAWS6; 05-08-2007 at 11:23 AM.