Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced Cobalt SS S/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Raced Cobalt SS S/C

Was driving on the freeway (118) with a buddy and saw a coblat ss s/c up ahead. I ketch up and we both go from 80. He pulls about 1 car on me and i am shocked as hell. I know of the kid driving and i heard he possibly had the stage 2 upgrade but damn... we get off and get to a light. He rolls down his window and said i was gonna take him off the line. We both take off and I pulled 2-3 cars by 80. Now i am trying to figure out if he had the stage 2 upgrade or those things are insane on freeway. forgot to ask him about it to stoked about smoking him. can any one tell me about these cars?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

he might have the upgrade, you run better times, with a higher trap stock, i know the ss has wheelhop like crazy, he probably just couldnt take off. But who knows
Old 03-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

I think F/I just get the Top end better anyway.. Cobalts can do 14.0 stock anyway.. so from a 2-3 car perspective i dont know what that comes out to in tenth of seconds or what not but he could have just been stock or minor bolt ons.. im not sure if ur car is stock or not tho.. if its not then maybe it had the upgrade or what not..
Old 03-23-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Colbalts are dirst *** slow stock, i test drove one and it was slow all around. It was quick for what it is and has potential but it has nothing on an ls1 when the cobalt is stock. I would guess he was modded.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

So i guess LT1 F bodys are slow as dirt also since in stock form they usually run low 14s... And i never really drove one so i dont know i was just taking the experience with my srt4.. at top end it was great and i had beat a few ls1's by a margin of a bumper when going from 60-120 or so.. i guess the cobalts aint as good topend as the neon
Old 03-23-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hypnotiq
So i guess LT1 F bodys are slow as dirt also since in stock form they usually run low 14s... And i never really drove one so i dont know i was just taking the experience with my srt4.. at top end it was great and i had beat a few ls1's by a margin of a bumper when going from 60-120 or so.. i guess the cobalts aint as good topend as the neon
Did I say that i ran a Cobalt down the 1/4 mile? I didnt think i did.

Comapring an LT1 to a coblat is retarded. The cobalt isnt in boost at all for a while. The LT1 makes power as soon as you touch the gas. The Cobalt takes while to wake up and for the boost to start, it is a turd until it makes boost. The LT1 on the other hand makes power all the time.

Your comparision was stupid.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

are you attempting to say you have to wait for boost in a supercharged car... Are you serious when you are saying this?? I dont see how comparing 2 vehicles in the same E/T time bracket is stupid whether its F/I or N/A.. Try googling how a Supercharger works before making false statements... this isnt a Turbocharger we are talking about here..
Old 03-23-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hypnotiq
are you attempting to say you have to wait for boost in a supercharged car... Are you serious when you are saying this?? I dont see how comparing 2 vehicles in the same E/T time bracket is stupid whether its F/I or N/A.. Try googling how a Supercharger works before making false statements... this isnt a Turbocharger we are talking about here..
LOL, I am telling you that the blower on a cobalt does not turn fast enough to make any boost until the rpm's go up. Just go test drive a cobalt and watch the boost gauge. It makes no boost until the rpms get high. In any blown car it takes time and rpms' to make full boost. Just because a blower always is spinning does not mean it is spinning fast enough to produce manifold boost. The cobalt pulls manifold vacuum (zero boost) at idle and through the low rpm's.

If you havent driven one ever then STFU!! Sounds like you have never even driven a Fi car in your life. You realy think every blown car makes boost off idle?

Comapring 2 cars in the same ET range is stupid sometimes because the LT1 makes good power everwhere compared to the cobalt which makes no power down low. It is a turd at low rpm's. i drove both the blown cobalt and the NA cobalt and they are similiar down low, the blown cobalt is way more powerful up top though.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

.... Never said it had full boost at idle.. and as soon as you hit the gas it is gonna have boost.. I have driven one at one of those GM courses they have but you cant really "drive" them as the course is nothing but turns mostly.. and from being around Supercharged vehicles i have never heard anyone "waiting" for boost on a S/C... But nonetheless i dont care to stick up for the car cause they aint nothing great.. But as far as i know with the srt-4s thier top end can be better then a stock ls1 topend specially on nice cold nights.. so i figured with the slobalt it would be the same since both are F/I.. but it seems the O/P was racing with a Monte anyway.. so i dont kno nothing about those cars anyway.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

My buddy has a stage 2 w/ exhaust and make like 250 at the wheels I think. I know he got it dynoed at a ford place and they were surpized, b/c they said it dynoed more to the ground then the stock 06 gt they just did. I know he is doing stage 3 (w/e that is) and should be around 300 w/ that and some other mods.

NOTE.....I still beat him but its not a muder..... I didnt get to race him w/ my cam and gears yet.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brad8266
Colbalts are dirst *** slow stock, i test drove one and it was slow all around. It was quick for what it is and has potential but it has nothing on an ls1 when the cobalt is stock. I would guess he was modded.
Are you talking about the SS Supercharged?? I've driven one and it felt more than quick to me, definitely felt like a low 14 second car.

Maybe you drive the regular SS non-Supercharged version??
Old 03-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Are you talking about the SS Supercharged?? I've driven one and it felt more than quick to me, definitely felt like a low 14 second car.

Maybe you drive the regular SS non-Supercharged version??
It's the illusion that FI cars give. It's more apparent in a turboed car but S/C cars get the effect to. It's the sudden rush of power when a s/c or turbo comes into it's efficiency range.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I drove the supercharged one and the NA one. The blown felt slow to me, it picked up good on the top end though. I think they are a great get around car and i would like one to DD instead of my taurus.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
It's the illusion that FI cars give. It's more apparent in a turboed car but S/C cars get the effect to. It's the sudden rush of power when a s/c or turbo comes into it's efficiency range.
Put it this way...

My buddy and I went and test drove some cars that he was interested in buying.

We drive a 2004 WRX 5 speed and a 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged.

No comparison in terms of power, the SS S/C was the much faster car. We're talking less weight and about ~30WHP more, thats a big difference.

He's probably going with the WRX though because he needs a larger car and wants AWD for the snow up north, plus used ones can be found cheaper than used SS S/C's.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The WRX's are dog slow at low rpm out of boost....I wonder how a Mazda Speed 3 would do against a Cobalt SS from a roll?
Old 03-24-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i hit boost instantly i don't know where your pulling this whole waiting for power. I hit 22.5 pounds to i don't think its that slow but to each his own. it did pull 1.5 cars on a tbss that runs 13.40's from 35 to 70 on a slipping clutch but i guess it's nothing to brag about
Old 03-24-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

those things are a disgrace to the SS name. I CANT STAND those things there so rice
Old 03-24-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ haha ur funny
Old 03-24-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind the SS S/C, I actually wouldn't mind owning one. But yeah, from a dig they are **** poor and comparable to the non s/c. But after you hit 2nd in the S/C it'll pull pretty well. I ran right next to one through about all of 1st with my Z24 and next thing I know we both hit 2nd and he's gone.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Even the Blown Cobra's feel a little soft right off idle and need some rpm before they come into the powerband. It doesn't neccesarily mean there is lag more of a perception of the difference in power levels between some boost and peak boost.