Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

91 Z28 LS1 takes it's first stang

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Z28 LS1 takes it's first stang

I went to the local gas station Friday night where a good number of people usually hang out with their cars when it is nice ( mostly ricers ). I met another guy up there a few weeks ago with a 91 Z28 that is bone stock. I pull in the lot and park next to him and there is a group of people standing around his car and a Mustang on each side of our cars. Turns out they belong to a few guys in the group. So after some bs'ing and letting them have a look under the hood of my car we decide to go out for a cruise. The Mustang on my right was a 97 4.6l, supposedly had a SLP exhaust on it and it did have a pretty bad miss, it actually sounded like a big cam in it. He told me he wanted to see my car rip down the highway so I was glad to oblige him. I was one of the last cars in the pack of about 6 ( 3 were mustangs ) so when we got on the highway near where state cops usually sit I just kept it in 4th. When the coast was clear I put it to the floor and wound out 4th and went into 5th as I was blowing past all of them. 2 of the other stangs jumped in the passing lane and tried to catch up to no avail, these were late 80's early 90's 5.0's. I hit 6th gear and slowed down for them to catch up and we went crusing from there. Later at night I was the 2nd car in line following the 97 stang until we turned at a light and he stops in the right hand lane. I pull up next to him knowing he wants to run me so at 3 honks of his horn we were off in tire smoking fury. I don't know what gear he spun into but part way into 3rd I finally hooked and pulled a easy 4 to 5 cars on him and he just gave up right there. We pulled into a gas station down the street and when we got out he graciously said " yup, you beat me ". I give him props though, he is the only muscle car that has had the gnads to run me so far.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

What other mods do you have?
You have quite a few supporting mods for a stock LS-1.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:08 PM

An ls1 in a 3rd gen has to suprise quite a few people.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dannyz
What other mods do you have?
You have quite a few supporting mods for a stock LS-1.
I bought the car already modded. I know, I know most will ask why I didn't do the car myself. Time was a factor and I knew I would never get around to doing it and didn't want to wait the time that would have been needed to do it myself. I had a 88 iroc I totaled in December and came into some money so I bought the car I always wanted and never had the time or money to do. I used to have a all original 73 Nova SS I bought from the original owner with under 100,000 miles on it and barely any rust. It sat in a garage for 2 years and I didn't have the time or cash to put into it so I sold it. Any way, the motor is bone stock in my car and so is the tranny. Just the suspension is mostly done. The exhaust wasn't even done on it. I have UMI subframe connectors going into it in a few weeks and hawks third gen long tube ls1 conversion headers on the way with a SLP loudmouth on the way. After that comes heads, cam and intake if I can eventually save up the cash.

Dave - Not too many people know what is in it except for a few people I work with and a few good friends. I am sure some people on the highway have been quite surprised by it thinking it was a totally stock 91 Z because of how quiet it is and thinking it doesn't go anywhere if they know anything about a stock 91 Z. Not taking anything away from a stock 91 Z but the 305's or 350's in them just don't comapre to the ls1. I have had people try and mess with me in it on the highway in cars you almost wouldn't expect , luxury sedans and stuff. 5th gear is all I need for them and that is overkill LOL.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good kill! I can't wait to get my LS1 Third gen completed for this same reason!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good kill on the stang.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Teching In

Thanks for posting guys.

98-LS1 - I am not sure if you are the one who posted it or not but I read on here last night in a different section about someone doing a LS1 conversion into a 3rd gen. They were talking about 4:10 gears and a turbo. I don't think you will be disappointed with the LS1 in the 3rd gen, I freakin love mine and my car has the 4:10's without a turbo. Me personally, I wouldn't even put a turbo on it. I just put K&N filters in the car and it will spin them into 4th now and my new headers and ram air tunnels came in today. Good luck with the swap and post some pics. I have some pics from the swap done on my car that I got on a disk from the original owner who did the swap.