Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cammed SS VS. Bonestock LS1 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cammed SS VS. Bonestock LS1 GTO

Well fellas, I just posted a very long thread of me getting my *** (and pride) handed to me by some real nice rides. It was a LONG story so instead of adding on to it I decided to just maked a new thread with this one since the outcome was a little different!

Well, I'm at home enjoying the night with my girlfriend when I get a call from my best bud. It turns out tha a friend of ours was in town and he had just bought an '04 GTO and wanted to run my car and see how they stack up. I'm always down, so I headed over there for a few friendly runs.

I get there, and we start looking at each others rides. (He lives out of town so he has not seen my car and I haven't seen his yet either) Turns out his car is just a bone stock '04 GTO (LS1), but still a beautifull car!

We decide to head out to a highway that never has traffic late at night. We agreed on a 30-115 run. We lined 'em up and I honked it off and immediately pulled a car on him. But than I went for second and for the life of me could not get my car into gear! I have no idea what the problem was, but it seemed like an eternity before I got the car into second! By the time I had, he had pulled about 3/4 of a car in front! I hit second and start to pull back and than the same thing happens going for third! I have NO idea what happened! I have never had anything like this happen to me before (I like to consider myself a decent driver)! I managed to get third and started to pull back. I let off at 115, but only had about 1.5 cars on him !

We do a U-turn and head back towards town, and decide to go for a dig race. We line 'em up and this time he honks. I got an amazing launch and pulled a quick car on him, but then....THE SAME THING HAPPENED WITH SECOND! How frustrating! But I did nail third and fourth and let off with about 3 cars on him...still not very impressive on my part...

We get beside each other again, and he wants another 30 roll. So we line 'em up and he honks agian. FINALLY! I nailed second and third, but we were getting close to town so I only took it to 90. But from 30-90 I pulled a VERY generouse 3 cars on him and still pulling hard! .

We each had one passenger and my guy got some video footage on his cell phone, but it's really not worth posting up

Sorry again for the long read guys...Hope you enjoy!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is refreshing to actually find posts on here that are both easy to read and the author is humble. I enjoyed both of your threads.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Nice kill. Sucks about the shifting but you made it through it.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:01 PM
***Repost Police***

Sometimes **** just happens... but I think he got the point
Old 05-02-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Good job, way to recover dispite ur troubles. I'd be pissed if my gears got stuck like that too. Guess it might be time for somethings to get checked on before it gets worse.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice story and nice car!
Old 05-02-2007, 02:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your driving sucks! J/k man.

Sounds like maybe you were a little excited, but hey you could have a synchronizer problem IDK...

Good kill on the goat.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:14 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
Your driving sucks! J/k man.

Sounds like maybe you were a little excited, but hey you could have a synchronizer problem IDK...

Good kill on the goat.
+1. I'd definitely get that checked out. Mine started acting funny a few months back, and I ended up needing a full tranny rebuild. God bless extended warranties
Old 05-02-2007, 02:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
+1. I'd definitely get that checked out. Mine started acting funny a few months back, and I ended up needing a full tranny rebuild. God bless extended warranties
Yea, the 1-2 shift should be pretty easy and indicates to me there could be a problem. My brother has a 331 stroker mustang that's pretty nasty. He was running the standard t-5 at the track and the tranny had enough wear in it that it would bind up the syn. and would not allow the 1-2 shift, much less the 2-3. Granny shifting would get him through the gears...tremec TKO fixed it.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Put a damn C.A.G.S. Eliminator on that car! Get rid of that skip shift....that's what it sounds like to me.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Put a damn C.A.G.S. Eliminator on that car! Get rid of that skip shift....that's what it sounds like to me.
Here is what you need...info from someone who knows an Ellis Juan (not me).

Hey Torque, which sticks are you from in VA? I'm in the Richmond area...
Old 05-02-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

CAGS is not active over a certain percentage of throttle.....at 100% throttle this is definitely not the case.

Sounds to me like you are having clutch problems......I had the same issues and it turned out to be a leaking slave cylinder.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
Here is what you need...info from someone who knows an Ellis Juan (not me).

Hey Torque, which sticks are you from in VA? I'm in the Richmond area...
Hey bro...I"m from Vansant Va., it's about an hour from the Kentucky state line. Good to see a fellow Va. man in here.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Honestly, I think it was just my ****-poor driving at the time. It's one of those deals were I'm surrounded by good friends, so I REALLY wanted to put a beating on this guy and just made some mental errors.

In the third run, I calmed down a little and nailed all the shifts perfectly. And since the race I've gone out and made a handfull of WOT pulls through 4 gears with no problems. It was probably just nerves, but if I have a similair problem than I'll get everything checked out.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:58 PM
9 Second Club

Hey bro...I"m from Vansant Va., it's about an hour from the Kentucky state line. Good to see a fellow Va. man in here.
Wow. Waaayyy out in the western part of the state...pretty up there!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rk_2000_Z/28
Honestly, I think it was just my ****-poor driving at the time. It's one of those deals were I'm surrounded by good friends, so I REALLY wanted to put a beating on this guy and just made some mental errors.

In the third run, I calmed down a little and nailed all the shifts perfectly. And since the race I've gone out and made a handfull of WOT pulls through 4 gears with no problems. It was probably just nerves, but if I have a similair problem than I'll get everything checked out.
nice kill....and sharp ride
Old 05-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Banned

Good kill, no go pick on somebody in your own class you bully!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Good kill. I had the problem of getting it into second in my V6 Camaro that I had but it was because I was in desperate need of a new tranny mount. Every I let out of the clutch on a take-off whether I was racing or not, the shifter raised up about an inch. And when I was racing, it'd probably raise a good inch and a half maybe even two inches.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good kill.

I would of been real irritated if i couldnt get into gear!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rk_2000_Z/28

Not that this has ever happened to me ( ) but sometimes a floor mat will get up in there and fubar a run......