Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a 1998 Z28 'vert last night

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Raced a 1998 Z28 'vert last night

Last night I was cruising the local strip when a blue 1998 Z28 convertible got next to me. There was an older M3 and a 2003ish VW Golf GTI. I watched the M3 and the VW race each other right on the stip like idiots (cops are everywhere there). From the looks of it, the VW pulled the M3 a little. They got a ways ahead and the Z28 punched it and tried to race me. I just cruised and we cam eto a light a minute later. I rolled down my window and the kid in the Z28 asked if I had any work done. I just told him that I promissed him that he would lose if we raced, lol. He asked if I was the guy with the cam that he talked to a couple weeks ago. I said I was and he said that he just beat the M3 and the VW to which I laughed and said that I was shocked, lol. He gave me a funny look and we cruised up a few more lights. He said that he just got headers installed and asked if I wanted to run him from a roll for fun. I said sure, but we would have to go up on the highway. He followed me and once we were up on the highway we slowed to about 50 mph. I honked 3 times and we both punched it. I immediately started pulling and at about 110 mph I had at least 6-8 cars on him. We pulled off the highway and he asked what gear I started in. I said 2nd and he said that he was in 3rd. I told him we could go again and to start in 2nd this time. We looped around and lined up about at 40 mph. I honked 3 times and we hit it again. almost the same think happened. By about 100 mph I had a solid 5 cars on him. he never got next to me again, lol. I waited after getting off the highway, but he just drove by, lol. Either way it was alot of fun for me, lol.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Launching!

Its a shame 2 Ls1s couldnt race from a dig.Our cars love the dead stop race.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

so what do you all have done to it, besides the cam.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:19 AM

LOL, with my 12-bolt and Nitto's I'm more than happy to run from a stop, but with his street tires there was really no point.

I have basic bolt-ons, cam and the 12-bolt with some suspension mods.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by six_string_wiz
Its a shame 2 Ls1s couldnt race from a dig.Our cars love the dead stop race.
Mine doesn't...in fact, IT HATES DIG RACES!!

Reasons:

No drag radials
crappy 10 bolt
500hp in 1st gear equals massive traction loss
boost lag
My huge **** weighs me down
etc...
Old 05-05-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice runs. You would think the guy would want to pull over and claim that you are running nitrous or something, like so many people on the pike tend to do. Too bad I couldn't join the fun last night. We could have told him that my car is slower than yours and he would have a better chance, hahaha. Then he might have sold his car like that other guy...

You -

Him -
Old 05-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Internet Mechanic

Awesome race, that kid had no clue about cars and thought with headers, its going to matter rofl.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:28 PM

Yeah, he seemed like a cool kid, but I don't know why he wouldn't talk to me again after. I guess we'll find out next time we see him again.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Internet Mechanic

I raced your bro and he has just over 400 rwhp and from a 3rd gear 60 roll he wasted me, I got a lid, headers, cat back, untuned, 3.42 gears and it was pretty bad. I know the car needs a cam for that sort of race.

Maybe ill go against the norm and do heads instead of a cam