Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed by 5.0, but there's a catch

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killed by 5.0, but there's a catch

So I'm driving home on the interstate, from the drag strip to be specific. In my rearview I can see what appears to be a foxbody 5.0. Sure enough he gets up beside me and i can tell he wants to play. So we both downshift and I give it the three honks and he jumped a little early. So I start at his bumper and I just slowly, very slowly was reeling him in when I had to let off and get off my exit. I was about at his door when I let off. Now here's the catch, I had my t-tops off, Lord knows how much that slowed me down. It was scary once I got up to higher speeds, felt like I was in a loud wind tunnel. I think with a clean jump and less wind resistance I would have edged him out. Not saying I would have murdered him or anything, but I feel like the LS1 would have taken him down. Seemed like a cool guy though. Maybe I'll see him again when I have my t-tops on.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Launching!

T-tops off is a huge difference. Some people say it doesn't matter all the much. But I raced a guy with them off, then ran the same race with them on, and the results of the race were noticebly (sp?) different.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Launching!

I dunno if thats a real death either. If you were reeling him in but had to let off for your exit, its an incomplete race.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MikeD101898
T-tops off is a huge difference. Some people say it doesn't matter all the much. But I raced a guy with them off, then ran the same race with them on, and the results of the race were noticebly (sp?) different.
Yeah man, it definitely makes a difference. It's just like a power adder, if you can feel it, then it's a big difference. Little differences are not felt usually. But I could feel the resistance. And the funny thing is, the faster we went the more I was reeling. I know if I would have hung on for a little bit longer I would have passed him. But it was gettin REAL SCARY, and gas is REAL EXPENSIVE, so I didn't wanna miss my exit
Old 05-11-2007, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

damn i thought ricers were bad about excuses..
"dammit i couldve won if my t-tops hadnt been out"

first time ive heard that
Old 05-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1

I didn't make any excuses, I said he beat me. But you're an idiot if you don't think that t-tops make a HUGE difference. ESPECIALLY at high speeds like that. Do you realize how much wind is pushing against that car? I didn't say, "oh my A/C was on and it robbed hp" or "my boost isn't turned up" or some stupid **** like that. I had a legitimate claim to the reason my car was not at it's optimal performance. I still gave the guy credit for the win didn't I?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Couldnt you have gone to the next exit too?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2

Couldnt you have gone to the next exit too?
Yeah, if I was stupid enough probably so. I have no sway bar going about 120 with shitty suspension and no t-tops. That's a brilliant idea. Hell, maybe I should have just maxed her out, see how long it took me to lose control so I could be another statistic. Ignorance, wow! I value my life more than I do making sure I win every time. If the t-tops were on you can bet your *** I would have kept going. But it was just too scary for me with them off. Say what you want, but go out on the interstate and try it before you are too quick to judge.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Launching!

roll racing is gay
Old 05-11-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good run!

I definitley think t-tops make a difference.....i would of done the same thing as you i wouldnt miss my exit with gas at almost $4 a gal. around here.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so no swaybar, shitty suspension, and no T-Tops scared you, but if the T-tops were on I could 'bet my ***' you would have kept going. Yeah, cuz of all 3 components you mentioned the T-tops surely make the car more stable than something stupid like a suspension or a swaybar. Not to mention how much the T-tops slowed you down

All closet ricers aboard the excuse train.....this means you.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slowcamaro
roll racing is gay
then you're in the wrong forum.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 9silverbird8
so no swaybar, shitty suspension, and no T-Tops scared you, but if the T-tops were on I could 'bet my ***' you would have kept going. Yeah, cuz of all 3 components you mentioned the T-tops surely make the car more stable than something stupid like a suspension or a swaybar. Not to mention how much the T-tops slowed you down

All closet ricers aboard the excuse train.....this means you.
ok, if wind is going over the car it is not resisting the wind very much at all. when the wind is getting trapped inside the car and hitting the back windshield it makes for a very unstable ride. Just going in a straight line with no wind resistance does not make the car rock back and forth, until you REALLY get to high speeds. But with 100 mph of wind and up going inside your car and hitting the back windshield, your car is going to move all over the place. Hence the suspension coming into play, hence the sway bar coming into play. It's sad I have to explain this b/c for some reason your little mind can't comprehend it. THE DUDE WON!! Everyone that's got something smart to say needs to realize this. All I said was, I would have liked to race him with my t-tops on cause I think I could have given him a better run. Hell, maybe I couldn't have. Maybe I would have still gotten beat. I'm not making excuses, I'm simply stating the facts.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your T-top theory is not totally unfounded, but most of it is in your head.

And I didn't say a thing about winning or losing; I was simply pointing out, based on your T-top logic, that you are in fact an idiot. no need to get upset. good day
Old 05-11-2007, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

When i hit 100+ with the windows down my car rocks.. i'd imagine t tops make a huge difference
Old 05-11-2007, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

from looking at my car the windshield is dead even with the t/tops.so that means the wind goes upwards due to the angle of the wind shield.im no physics engineer.if the windshield was shorter i could see your theory but its not .hell if it was that bad i guess we all need to sew the hell out of gm for such shitty aerodynamics.
you were at the dragstrip racing i assume.so why bitch about wasting fuel.
hell you may as well said id like to race again whem my vtec is workin.
im no idiot you are for posting this stupid thread
Old 05-11-2007, 11:13 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Dude, you got off on the wrong foot. I was simply saying go to the next exit.....Had no idea your car is unsafe for WHATEVER reason. Stop racing then.

Roll racing is gay? You need more power to realize that unless you drive around with slicks, sometimes rolls are the ONLY way to race at times. In a perfect world, do both!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 9silverbird8
Your T-top theory is not totally unfounded, but most of it is in your head.

And I didn't say a thing about winning or losing; I was simply pointing out, based on your T-top logic, that you are in fact an idiot. no need to get upset. good day
I'm an idiot for my logic that I can prove? So "based on my T-top logic", I'm an idiot although you yourself just said it is not totally unfounded. You are being a little too modest anyway. When you are going that fast, it makes a lot of difference. This is not something I am thinking up in my head. "hmmmm, i'll bet if I was going this fast with my t-tops off my car would start to sway back and forth and scare the hell out of me" No, it happened in real life. So I can sit here and tell you, I have been at those speeds several times and never felt the car do that. I'm through wasting my time with your ignorance. Good day to you
Old 05-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Dude, you got off on the wrong foot. I was simply saying go to the next exit.....Had no idea your car is unsafe for WHATEVER reason. Stop racing then.

Roll racing is gay? You need more power to realize that unless you drive around with slicks, sometimes rolls are the ONLY way to race at times. In a perfect world, do both!
My bad man, I guess I took it the wrong way.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Teching In

from looking at my car the windshield is dead even with the t/tops.so that means the wind goes upwards due to the angle of the wind shield.im no physics engineer.if the windshield was shorter i could see your theory but its not .hell if it was that bad i guess we all need to sew the hell out of gm for such shitty aerodynamics.
you were at the dragstrip racing i assume.so why bitch about wasting fuel.
hell you may as well said id like to race again whem my vtec is workin.
im no idiot you are for posting this stupid thread
Yeah, sew GM for aerodynamics. That's good, cause I'm sure they were planning on everyone to take their t-tops off and do 130. That would be a great claim to make in court. "Judge, I want a half a mil b/c GM gave me shitty aerodynamics with my t-tops off going 130.

Quick Reply: Killed by 5.0, but there's a catch