Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced my buddies 97 Stang GT again... Finally a video

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced my buddies 97 Stang GT again... Finally a video

I posted the results of our first race a few months ago, I beat him pretty bad back then in a short race, it was the first time I met him also. So last night he calls me to see what I was doing and ask if I was at the local hangout and when I told him I was he said he was coming down. When he got there I ask him when we were running our cars again. He then told me how he ran a T/A WS6 and kept right up with him. He has been telling me race stories for the past few weeks so he had my attention. He just put about $5,000 into his car. New rims and tires, H/C that came on a cobra according to him. His other mods are a full exhaust, I don't think he has headers but not sure, CAI and there may be a few more things done to it. We run them right away, he had his 90 some pound girlfriend in the car ( she is short and really small ) and I had a passenger that weighs probably around 160 doing the recording. The video isn't the best quality and we ran 2 times, first time from a slow roll in first gear and I spun through first, second and part of third, you will hear my motor bog when it stops spinning in third and I gave him a little bit of a hit. I will load the second video next week, the site I used only allows you to upload so many MB's a week and I hit the limit with this video. The second race we ran from a 40 roll in second gear and I hurt him worse then in the first race. Here is the video.

Click here to see Video

Last edited by 91 LS1 Z28; 06-07-2007 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I can't see much of anything, and there is no sound!?!?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ls1tech videos is your friend, use it!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Teching In

I don't know what happened to the sound, when I transferred it from the camera to the computer there was sound. I said the quality wasn't that good, I think my buddy had it zoomed all the way for the first race but the second is much better. It was the first time he ever used my camera, give him a break. I never saw the LS1tech video uploader, I will redo it and post it and the other race as well.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 91 LS1 Z28
I His other mods are a full exhaust, I don't think he has headers but not sure
A full exhaust means that it has headers...
Or atleast thats what I thought.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Teching In

I think he has headers but I am not sure. I know he doesn't have cats so that is leading me to believe he has headers on the car right now. I didn't even think about it but he didn't get the car tuned after he put all that money into it so he would have given me a better run if the car was tuned, I still don't think I would have lost to him. I can't get sound on the videos either, tried a few different things with the camera settings to no avail. Here is the other vid though, a little better quality atleast.

Click here to see Video

Last edited by 91 LS1 Z28; 06-07-2007 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:02 AM
Teching In

I redid the vids so they had sound.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

You pulled him pretty good!

Nice kill!
Old 06-07-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice kill.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. He was telling me how he ran this cobra before he ran the T/A and beat him, his buddy who helped him with the motor said he ran and beat a GTO by a lot and yada yada yada. My buddy in the videos said he even beat a BMW M3 by about 10 cars. I ran a M3 a few weeks ago and we were about even, same with a gto. The funny thing is like I said, he bought rims then decided to do the motor and NEVER got a tune. I drove the car right after he got it back on the road and it ran ok, but even with a tune I should still beat him.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Nice Kill!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice run.......he could have an O/R midpipe and stock exh. manifolds. Seems how he isn't smart enough (no offense) to tune his car before racing, I am not so sure he realizes that full exhaust is Headers too (as Burnzilla mentioned). Without the tune, he is probably a good ~15-20 RWHP down....(pending tune, and actual mods), because full exhaust and no tune, is MAJOR lean A/F....especially on 4V motors (if he has the cobra heads).

You pulled him pretty good, so I still think you would take him with a tune, but it would make for an interesting race.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Headers on a 4.6 are a major PITA to install. Most people don't bother.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

i doubt he had cobra H/C ...he had alot of bottom end power...
didnt pull up high enough either....looked like he had to let out early due to the car in front of him,but you were pullin him regardless....
Old 06-07-2007, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Default yes they are

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Headers on a 4.6 are a major PITA to install. Most people don't bother.
they are a bitch ...imagine installin a set of lo ngtubes to find out one of them has a hole in it....mac headers are junk....

they are a bitch to install but wellworth the gain
Old 06-08-2007, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
i doubt he had cobra H/C ...he had alot of bottom end power...
didnt pull up high enough either....looked like he had to let out early due to the car in front of him,but you were pullin him regardless....
I just know what he told me about the H/C so that is all I can really say. I wouldn't say he had a lot of bottom end power, if you watch the first race his taillights are about even with my sideview mirror give or take a few inches. I spin through first and second and part of third and as soon as my motor recovers a little from the bog I start pulling on him. In the second race from 40 mph in second gear I just left him immediately.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Nice run.......he could have an O/R midpipe and stock exh. manifolds. Seems how he isn't smart enough (no offense) to tune his car before racing, I am not so sure he realizes that full exhaust is Headers too (as Burnzilla mentioned). Without the tune, he is probably a good ~15-20 RWHP down....(pending tune, and actual mods), because full exhaust and no tune, is MAJOR lean A/F....especially on 4V motors (if he has the cobra heads).

You pulled him pretty good, so I still think you would take him with a tune, but it would make for an interesting race.
This is what he told me once again and I don't know anything about a 97 stang but I know he has a SLP exhaust with a offroad h pipe I believe, according to him. I know with a tune his car would definately run better but even if he gains 15 to 20 horse from a tune I think I will still get him right from the get go. I will be doing my lt's, ory and slp loudmouth system maybe in the next few weeks and a tune as well.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

all i was saying is that by watching the vid his power band was too narrow for a 32v engine ...im just sayin he is a bser...
Old 06-08-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

all i was saying is that by watching the vid his power band was too narrow for a 32v engine ...im just sayin he is a bser...

Not all 32v setups are the same. In fact, almost every year is different.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Honestly I wasn't there when they tore the motor down and put it back together but from the sounds of it it wasn't done any way I would want my motor done. I know for one they ordered the rod bearings and stuff before they even took any measurements with a mic on the journals of the crank. I've helped my buddy put a motor together a few years ago that went into my iroc I had so I am just a beginner at doing this stuff with motors out of a car, they are quite different then the motors that were in my go karts. But I would think you would want to check this stuff out before ordering parts.