Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

camaro with sts on 8 pounds

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default camaro with sts on 8 pounds

well ive finlly got my race
there is this guy with a turboed 98 z28 , the kid does not know how to drive and has no supporting modds
we race when i had just lid and a flowcrapper(flowmaster) and he was runnig 5 pounds and i raped him
well ive done many bolt ons since including slicks
and he just put on a 8 pound spring in and bought slicks and has been talking ****
so were racing on sat and im going to tape it, hopefull with my driving skills and better mod combo will let me to be able to keep raping this car with way more hp
Old 10-19-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no supporting mods? does he want to destroy his car or what?
Old 10-19-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he has no supporting mods he will blow up on 8 psi. If he has added fuel, you are toast unless you have nitrous in those bolt ons you are talking about...
Old 10-19-2007, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

STS car's =
Old 10-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bad2000z
STS car's =
haha. I'm not a fan of the STS either.

Good luck OP, and post up whatever the results are.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well post up your mods so we can better relate. An sts would need tuning think it comes with stock predator tune though and fuel support to do 8psi and that is about tops on stock engine with stock compression. At 5psi most sts do around 400 rwhp on m6 and pretty sure hit around 500 rwhp on 7 or 8. So even if you have a cam/heads/header ls1 you would get destroyed by one at that higher boost level and should get destroyed at 5psi.If you have cam and headers and bolts ons should be close at 5psi.
Now if the outcome is much diferent its driver pretty much or traction.
I have had personal experience with buddies sts y2k stock with think 3.73 gears in a m6 and other buddies sts in stock 95 z28 vert auto. I raced my mildy modded up 96z28 and don't have cam or headers or spray on it yet. He raped me and I had nittos against his street tires.
I have not run buddies y2k in my 99 trans am as it is now .Currently it just has cam no headers, underdrive and catback and cutout and fast 90/90 combo. Pretty sure he would kill me at 5psi. Both are m6 cars.I don't have my twin turbos installed waiting on 408 next spring.
I would not underestimate the sts system it works and works well. I went with twin turbo setup as it has some advantages over the sts and price was great.
Sts main problems are lack of ground clearance and price. Also not a fan of oil scavenger pumps.No intercooler with stock sts kit either.

That all said if you have only header ors bolt ons the other guy can't drive or can't hook. Or he is running on 7 cylinders or something.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

sts cars make HP numbers but cant run for dog poop. Many are straight dyno queens.

Just run him and post the kill later tonight.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

While I like front mounts more,there are now many very fast sts cars. You are living in la la land if you think they are dyno queens. Rear mounts work very well. maybe not quite as well as front mounts but not many stock displacement NA cars can come close to them once you start running around 7 to 8psi. You can even get about 10psi if you do things like use bigger chamber heads to drop compression. As I said I choose to go front mount twin turbo but I have ridden in two sts cars now lt1 and ls1 and both were fast with lots of power from 3000 up.
I have been in buddies heads/cam/headers 420 hp NA cars also. Turbos kill NA cars for area under the curve. You want to talk peak hp numbers than look at centrifical blowers but they also kick butt at the drag strip where you can keep the revs up and leave higher up the rpm band. On the street turbos generally outperform centrificals. Roots types work great down low but dont' work as well high up.
Anyway off the subject. I have run sts cars. If that sts ls1 don't smoke his *** even at 5psi unless he has heads,cam and headers and bolts ons then the guy can't drive its not tuned right or the sts guy has no traction.
Power is power. Its not imaginary its there.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I make more TQ on the low end than an sts that makes about 75 more peak hp than I do. What about power under the curve?

Power under the curve in an STS

Power under the curve in my head/cam/bolton 346, before tuning.

Last edited by brad8266; 10-20-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

There are sts ls1 cars in the 9s.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brad8266
sts cars make HP numbers but cant run for dog poop. Many are straight dyno queens.

Just run him and post the kill later tonight.
Damn right! If my car had 500rwhp N/A, I'd be running low 10's. Now, how many 500rwhp STS cars are running low 10's?....or even low 11's for that matter?....

I'd rather have a 400rwhp car that runs low 11's than a 500+rwhp car that runs low 11's.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:35 PM

When you have a V8 you dont need a damn turbo..
Old 10-21-2007, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brad8266
I make more TQ on the low end than an sts that makes about 75 more peak hp than I do. What about power under the curve?

Power under the curve in an STS

Power under the curve in my head/cam/bolton 346, before tuning.
Dude, you are a fully built h/c ls1. The subject was a cam/headers ls1 vs 5psi STS.

Also, a turbo car is way more streetable than an N/A car of similar performance. Really. It's just a matter of preference anyway. I like sitting at the light next to some really souped up car, quite as a mouse and then blow their doors off.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V6Corvette
When you have a V8 you dont need a damn turbo..
nah, v8 means all the more reason to turbo
Old 10-21-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

well the update is that he pussed out
sorry guys no race but i think i would of pulled on him
hes a bad driver and i think he would break his on on the line
500 rwhp on slick , stock clutch,stock rearend, ???
and also i will post my mods eventelly but right now ive been busy doing more of them
Old 10-21-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Your head/cam/header car does have good area under the curve. Many are pretty peaky with crappy low end and not super streetable once you go way up on heads and cam. Also headers can cause ground clearance problems and do make ticking noises which some people don't like. Cams can be lopey and fussy also even with tuning and can require more frequent valve spring changes which are not fun on our ls1s.

That sts dyno shows a pretty slow spooling turbo. Not sure if its one of the bigger optional ones. Smaller turbo and playing with specs on them can give quicker spool up and thus give steeper curve and turbo cars usually have great torque as well. No not saying heads/cam/headers nitrous cars can't do well too.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a manual turbo car will not normally build much if any boost off the line unless you add a two step. And sounds like this guy dont have one. Also factory clutch is crap at 8psi for sure. Likely be gettings slipping and losing power and he could break that stocker rear end on drag tires for sure.
Auto cars are better for getting boost off the line. Put in a good stall and no problem.

I am not worlds biggest fan of the sts systems .Buddy with one is afraid to drive over any tracks at all and he is stock height. He is afraid to drive in heavy rain. His oil scavenger pump is pretty noisy too. And he paid pretty good buck for his sts. For near same money I got my twin turbo front mount kit with huge intercooler and no scavenger pump required,no super low ground clearance problems either. And expect full spool at 3000 to 3500 max on a 408.
And for the guy who said you don't need a turbo on a v8..well..v8s NA can maybe get to 500 or so engine and start getting very unstreetable much past that point with crazy cams needed ,huge heads that would kill low end etc. You can get 1000 or more engine hp out of turbos pretty easily and still keep good driveabilty. Cars are like stock off boost and tigers on boost. And nothing wrong with some nice heads and cam in a turbo build either.
Turbos work very very well. On 4 bangers,v6s ,v8s ,v12s..I LOVE TURBOS. Sts was better deal when they first came out. Their prices are high now considering you dont' even get intercooler with them. They say you don't need intercooler as much with them but I will debate that point.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by enginjoe
Dude, you are a fully built h/c ls1. The subject was a cam/headers ls1 vs 5psi STS.

Also, a turbo car is way more streetable than an N/A car of similar performance. Really. It's just a matter of preference anyway. I like sitting at the light next to some really souped up car, quite as a mouse and then blow their doors off.

Umm, MY99 said heads/cam/headers. I doubt the fact that my engine has forged parts really adds much HP if any.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
well ive finlly got my race
there is this guy with a turboed 98 z28 , the kid does not know how to drive and has no supporting modds
we race when i had just lid and a flowcrapper(flowmaster) and he was runnig 5 pounds and i raped him

Bullfuckingshit.

Your flowmaster and a lid(about 310-320 RWHP)LS1 did not "rape", or even get close to HANGING with, an LS1 running 5 pounds of boost. The guy seriously must have just been ******* with you...if you think you beat him, you live in a fantasy world.

If there is something I don't know as to how he could have won this race, someone PLEASE fill me in. It just seems unrealistic.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Well any car can beat anycar on the street. Due to traction, missshifting if in a manual,something wrong with the car etc. Most 5psi ls1 can do 400 to 420rwhp and as you said if his mods were like a lid and minor stuff than of course it should not have happened. Course you can have boost leaks, screwed engine, plug wire off whatever.
Never totally black and white. Thats why I posted that it would take at least a header and cam and bolt on ls1 to come close at 5psi and heads/cam/header bolt on car to hang well at 5psi. At 8psi or so not very many NA engines are going to cut it. Not many NA engines in stock displacement can do 500rwhp. On nitrous sure..Until the bottle runs out anyway. Turbos are like having a permanent nitrous bottle in your car. Nothing compares to a good size hit of boost. Very addicting.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeremy02
Bullfuckingshit.

Your flowmaster and a lid(about 310-320 RWHP)LS1 did not "rape", or even get close to HANGING with, an LS1 running 5 pounds of boost. The guy seriously must have just been ******* with you...if you think you beat him, you live in a fantasy world.

If there is something I don't know as to how he could have won this race, someone PLEASE fill me in. It just seems unrealistic.
sorry my friend but it is not bullshit i do however agree that i should have not have beat him, but if you really think about power curves and driving skills it is possible and for me actlly it happen muiltple times

his car is a dog untill about 3700 to 4000 rpms
the kid launchs it like a grampa at 1500 then shifts at 5500
while im over here launching at 3000 and shifting at 6100
by the time the kid as any power what so ever im already three cars ahead
but then he shifts early(and very slowly) puting him out of his power band once again which at that point im able to hold him off and repeats ever gear
ive been in his car with him muiltple times when racing (he was a friend at one time) so i know that these numbers are correct
so well that is my only thing im able to think of why i was able to,
oh yea btw his best track time
at lacr was 13.5 on 5 pounds so you tell me???