Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Walked a "10 Second" Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walked a "10 Second" Camaro

So my brother has been trying to setup a race between my mostly stock 00 T/A WS6, against a kid in his Votech class that claims to have a 10 second Camaro IROC . Well as it goes three nights in a row he doesnt show up. Well tonight he shows up! With a friend with another third gen pos. The "10 second" one sounds like it has a very poorly timed cam, and a MAJOR exhaust leak. He claims it is a 350, his friend says he has a ram jet 350, haha that "runs worse when it is cold" hahahahaha. anyways, he says "yo race my friend" i think "ok whatever"

Race 1 - His friend's Camaro, Ram Jet 350
so we go out, go from a slow roll, 40 mph, 3k or so in second gear, he honks 3 times, boom we take off, i easily pulled away, shifted into third and let off, he was back about 2 bus lengths.

Race 2 - Same Camaro
So then comes the funnier race, we get a light, he launches i just go slow at first, he hooks and goes, i hit about 3k in first then drop the hammer and spun, then shifted into second and was still spinning, he is about 2-3 cars off the line ahead of me then once i caught traction in second i pulled hard and walked by him. We did several other little races that yielded the same results.

Race 3- Same Camaro and a worked 2007 WRX
We went from a roll in first gear cruising at about 4k three lane race, he honks three times then we all gun it, i am spinning like crazy, rear end all over the place, shift into second, still losing the back end, the WRX is neck and neck with me, the camaro is about a car behind me, then I catch trac and pull away hard again on both of them.

Now comes the 10 second camaro
Race 1 - ^^That^^
Pretty much the same thing as the other one. We go from a stop, I have no trac still so I take off slow but quick enough to not spin the tires, he startes getting too far ahead so i gun it but spin through 2nd like usual but start pulling on him hard.

In the end we raced around several times and every time I blew both of their doors off. There were a few were I let off early because my rear was banging on the bottom and I just could NOT hook.....so what have we learned here today?
1. I need slicks
2. Dumb high school kids with 3rd gens that know nothing about cars **** me off and made me waste my gas. And they need to die. They are the ones that make F-body owners look bad...err muscle car owners look bad for that matter.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need slicks with your power level. You just need a better set of street tires. Invest in a set of 17" Corvette wheels of your choice and 275 width tires. That'll be enough weight and tire to keep give you traction in most every case outside of extreme cold whether where the roads are like ice. And don't cheap out on the tires. Get a good set. If you need advice, ask around in the Wheels and Tires section.

If that doesn't work, try a torque arm.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Launching!

Nice kills. I remember the days when I thought my 91 Camaro RS 305 TBI, A4, Hardtop, 73K original miles, was the shiznit.

Now I know my Firehawk IS tha shiznit, imo.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Nice easy kills. You need some drag radials, dude. Loss of traction can make you look REALLY stupid against much lesser cars (yes....I know from experience as I'm sure most Fbody owers do....). A set of Nittos will do you a lot of good at your power level on the street.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

imagine have an awd fbody. the damage we could do...lol
Old 12-01-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it was a 10 second 1/8 mile car. I have encounted a few that claim their cars ran the 1/4 in 10 seconds @ a whopping 63mph. Stupid kids.
Good kill
Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Damn are you sure your not from WI? Haha, the only reason I ask is because these guys sound like most of the dumb a$$ hicks around here. They all think they know everything there is about building fast cars, but most of them are just ignorant dumba$$es. I have a very similar story to yours, but I wont hijack your thread by telling it in here. I will start a thread of my own. But I know exactly what your going through.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i kept making the comment towards them about the 10 second 1/8th mile. Their main excuse was that THEY had no traction, which was hard to believe since they both were able to take off so fast, the one i asked if it was a stick or auto and this is what he responded with and i qoute "its a semi-auto" i just gave him a dumb look.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha, still waiting for Dave to pop on here to leave is comments....he is probably still laughing at the whole thing as am I. We actually went as far as setting up a race between the two of them, against a buddy's full exhaust and larger carb 305 trans am. haha i think he lost though.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
its a semi-auto"
Manual valve body?

Or maybe he's packing heat?

Old 12-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Restricted User

That was the funniest **** ever the other night...bro...this kid's 10 second car had a blaster coil, bad timming, and an exhaust leak...it was bad...but a good kill the non-the-less...
Old 12-02-2007, 01:39 AM

That's great! It's like the time I ran this kid with a "383 Monte Carlo". He claimed it should run 10's, but he wasn't taking it to the track until he got nitrous so that he would run in the 9's. I raced him with my bolt-on LT1 TA. We went from 5mph roll. Dead even until 100mph and then I started walking away, lol. I didn't have the heart to tell him that his 10 second car just got beat by a low 13 second car, lol.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Restricted User

If you guys would have seen the kids driving the cars too...they just lookes like jokes...it was bad...I mean...their cars looked like **** (even to a guy that loves 3rd gens) and they looked like ****.....like they were idiots that thought 15's equal out to 10's....
Old 12-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Teching In

You have to be very carefull since 10 sec street cars are everywhere...
Old 12-02-2007, 12:22 PM

LOL, yeah especially street cars driven by high school kids!
Old 12-02-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
the one i asked if it was a stick or auto and this is what he responded with and i qoute "its a semi-auto" i just gave him a dumb look.
He possibly has the shitty 7 speed trans from the 87 corvette 4 speed manual then 3 auto. I think that maybe what he was thinking, either way it's still a turd.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BURN'EM
He possibly has the shitty 7 speed trans from the 87 corvette 4 speed manual then 3 auto. I think that maybe what he was thinking, either way it's still a turd.
I laughed so hard when I read that.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Junkie

You have a near stock car, you really are not making enough power to really have a need to be on a slick..

Just throw on some DRs, but you should hook up decent with a very good set of street tires...Slip the clutch a lil as you launch.

WRXs are very slow on stock turbos, they have pee shooters...Most people dont know how small they are
Old 12-03-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BURN'EM
So are you telling me TPI is better than CROSS FIRE INJECTION MANIFOLD

Muahaha lol

And I would rather wipe my *** with a tpi intake than run one! junk
Old 12-03-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slick1851

WRXs are very slow on stock turbos, they have pee shooters...Most people dont know how small they are
This one had an STI turbo and good tune, full exhaust, stuff like that.

Oh and GET THIS! Just today my brother calls me up and says that the kid told everyone in his class that his shitty *** camaro BEAT ME! Must be smoking something good.

What a ******* idiot, I ******* blew his doors off, several times, and that is an understatement, I mean I was walking past him while my rear end was in the lane next to me. IS he BLIND and DUMB!?!?! Someone should just kick his *** that is younger than me because if I bring out the Semper Kill on him I go to jail