Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Another 10 sec. car gets owned

Old 12-01-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another 10 sec. car gets owned

I wasn't going to share this story but I just read DevilDougWS6's post and it reminded me of my own experience racing so called 10 sec cars.
It all started last winter I meet this guy at a party my friend was having. All my buddies were asking me about my car and when it was going to be finished. The guy overheard our conversation and introduced himself by asking what kind of car I drove. I told him a little about it and he mentioned that he had a 3rd gen Camaro with a built motor that he would want to race me in. The guy and his girlfriend began telling me stories about how he has never lost a race, and that the car can break the tires loose through 4th gear. He also metioned that he beats up on LS1 cars all the time. Then he tells me that his car should run 10's. He actually had me beleiving his bs for a while, but I figured what the hell a race is a race. Win or lose, I don't really care. I just love to race as most of you are the same way Im sure. Anyways, towards the end of the night I told him about the new engine I was having built for the following spring (see sig), and he tells me that 11:1 compression is way to much and that I should just build something that closer to 10:1 or even 9:1. He also tells me that I should put a carb on it, but I explain to him that I dont know the first thing about tuning a carb etc. He says to me, "its easy, you just slap an Edelbrock 750 on there and your good to go." At this point Im like WTF! I went from thinking this guy might have a car that will blow my doors off, to thinking this guy doesn't know his a$$ from his elbow. I leave the party that night and weeks go by and spring gets closer. I forget all about this guy, and then one day I get a message on myspace from the dudes girlfriend saying, "It should only be a few more weeks until my boyfriend kicks your a$$ in his Camaro". I almost fell of my chair laughing. I didn't even bother replying back to such a stupid comment. I did however send the guy a message asking when he was going to bring his car to the track? He told me that he was planning on going to the last real street drag event. I told him I would meet him there and that we will set up a race. I drive my car to the track with my slicks in the back, along with my jack, jack stands and wrenches for changing wheels when I get there. Just as Im finishing my wheel swap in the pits I see his car being trailored into the pit front gates. He unloaded his car and pulled into the staging lanes. He was running on some BFG radial T/A's. At this point my friends and I are just laughing at him. I don't care how much power your car makes, it isnt going to make **** for an ET on those tires. A friend of mine in a BONE stock 95 Mustang GT w/ a 100 shot on it lined up with him first. We figured that if he could beat the Mustang, then it might be worth it for me to run him. My freind in the Mustang had a horrible pass, but still tree'd the hell out of the guy in the 3rd gen and took the win. The 3rd gen that beats up on LS1's all the time, and should run 10's, ran a blistering 16 second 1/4 . Needless to say, we didn't even need to line up for him to admit defeat. Now thats getting . Im sorry for the long post but I just had to share my story. I just hate how some people think, because they watch Horsepower TV, and get a subscription to JEGS they know how to build a fast car. Give me a break.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahahaha what a moron. How the hell do you confuse a 16 second car with a 10 second car?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Launching!

so what did you run that night? also, what did he run in his next run?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Its funny how many folks say they have fast stuff...even go so far as to say what it should run in the quarter...None of it is worth a crap until you have the slip...Nice story...

--Alan
Old 12-01-2007, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

HAHAHA... slap a edelbrock 750 on there... was his nick name joe dirt?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nick1ta
so what did you run that night? also, what did he run in his next run?
I ended up running an 11.50 @ 120 missing 3rd gear completely. My usual mph is in the mid 120's when I make a clean pass. Then the very next run I tried upping my launch rpm to about 6500. The tires hooked but my new driveshaft that was supposed to be able to handle 700 hp snapped in two, which ripped my ds safety loop off the torque arm, and cracked the rear tailshaft housing on my transmission. But its all good now. I just got my built th400 w/ transbrake, Yank 4000 stall and N20 kit ready to go in for this spring.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha! nice kill.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Restricted User

I love idiots...
Old 12-02-2007, 01:28 AM

LOL, that's freakin awesome! I thought the car would be the typical 13 second car that the owner thinks will run 10's...but to run 16's! What was his MPH?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats funny ****.
I actually didnt think there were people out there so confused about how fast a car can run.
There was a guy at work that drives a 90's neon with 3 hub caps, lowered, 5" exhaust pointed at an angle and a 2" racing stripe down the passenger side that everybody makes fun of. my friend introduced me to him and without laughing I asked what he thinks his car can run...first off he states he has 500 h.p supposedly thats what the seller told him and hes pretty sure he can do 9's or 10's.
This is when I offered to race him and told him my car is probably low 14's at best but he said I would beat him since I have a V8??? wtf but anyways I just left it alone after that but I watched him go to his car and leave from work and as he popped his trunk open I seen he had a home amplifier hooked up to some home speakers with a power inverter...lol when he cranked it up his alternator started squeeling and the **** could be heard 2 blocks away.

Wow man is all I have to say, some people dont belong near a car after watching the Fast & Furious movies.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think some of it has to do with the girl he's with. Girls like that massage the ego to the point where he gets away with telling the biggest bullshit all the time, and the woman just eats it up. When he tries to run this **** by a man (or a better woman), they call him out, and he's surprised.

I've come across these combos while out drinking, usually its "not another fight" "don't hurt this guy like all the others" and when all is said and done, the woman's mouth has more fight in it than her old man.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

I dont even know what his trap speed was, because it was on a real street drags night. So they turn the clocks off, but you still get a slip telling you what your pass was. I know he ran a 16 sec. 1/4 because I asked him what he ran. I didn't bother watching any more of his passes, but he told me he was going to load up the back of his car with a bunch of junk to help get better traction Rumor has it that he was able to make a 13 second pass by the end of the night, but I don't know for sure.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SlayerMaro
Hahahaha what a moron. How the hell do you confuse a 16 second car with a 10 second car?
i think he meant a 10 in the 1/8th mile
Old 12-02-2007, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 00firebird
i think he meant a 10 in the 1/8th mile
funny thing happened to me a few months ago. Some kid kept bragging about his friends si civic and how it ran 10's at the track. So we lined up and i smoked the crap out of him. Later on i found out it was stock and ran a 10 in the 1/8th..some people really are idiots
Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

16 seconds, eh? Tell him I have a full exhaust, otherwise stock 305 TBI, '88 Formula that wants some. Winner gets to strap his girl to the rear hatch and blast around town until she falls off. The loser has to be the camera/chase car.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

lol i love ignorant kids..except when they drive camaro's cause then they make us all look bad..good kill
Old 12-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Teching In

"Im sorry for the long post but I just had to share my story. I just hate how some people think, because they watch Horsepower TV, and get a subscription to JEGS they know how to build a fast car. Give me a break."..........................
............................LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL
Old 12-05-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats just too funny.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Banned

He TRAILERED a car with street tires and only ran a 16 sec 1/4. I guess it was too much of a beast to drive it. LOL You should of went over and slapped him and his girl and took the trailer.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
hes pretty sure he can do 9's or 10's.
This is when I offered to race him and told him my car is probably low 14's at best but he said I would beat him since I have a V8???
haha lmfao, that makes no sense. people are stupid. i seriously busted out laughing when i read that.

Search this Thread