Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

pros and cons of mustangs and camaros

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros and cons of mustangs and camaros

hey guys i know this is the wrong time for me to post this but whateva i dont care,ive actully been interested in buying an ls1 ...but first id have to be persuaded ..i already knwo they haul *** which is a factor ..but what else can you guys tell me about camaros that make them such great cars ? not ******* seriously want to know..ok like my stang its not that fast but it moves ...its very comfterable,no blind spots , easy to work on ..etc.. please let me know ..i see all you guys and you all seem very cool and know what the **** your talkin about so help me out thanx peace
Old 07-06-2003, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: pros and cons of mustangs and camaros

they look better too
Old 07-06-2003, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I'd say (this is all in my opinion)-

F-body's definately have the ***-hauling factor. The LT1/LS1s are both great engines. However, I'd say the interior sucks and the intake/exhaust system is restrictive as hell. There's a lot of blindspots, and they have their share of electrical problems.

Mustang's have a nice stock exhaust system (true duels, I heard the 94-95 GT 5.0s even have some stock shorties), and the interior is pretty comfortable (except for the shifter being a mile away and blocking the stereo). The Mustangs just don't have CIs to be modded up as much as the F-Bodies do. Also, the Mustangs have that Mach 460 audio option, which is killer. It definately ruins the Bose system's life if you compare the two... it's nice.

Exterior... I'd have to give it to the F-Body, just because they look so much more aggressive (Especially the LS1s), the Mustang looks tame in comparison to an LS1 Trans Am... I'm sure many many people will agree with me, especially on this forum.

Well, that's my take. I've driven both, my friend has a 98 4.6, and it's not fast at all... but the leather has miles more comfort then my Camaro's, and the interior seems so much more cozy.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:52 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the power my car is making with relatively few mods. It's sick fast.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

FORDS SUCK...that's basically all you need to know.

Just kidding. Probably the best thing going for the F-body right now is that they don't make em' anymore and you can still pick one up relatively cheap. Parts (replacement and performance) availability is excellent and fairly inexpensive. Appearance is a subjective matter but obviously a lot of folks think the stang looks better than the Camaro...I personally think they need glasses but WTF...that's their opinion. Go for a WS6 TA. I think they will hold their value better than any other except for maybe convertibles.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

south florida ss you do make alot of power? only a cAM AND GEARS ? whats a gms lid and bellows?
Old 07-06-2003, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Granatelli Motorsports Lid and smooth bellows. The bellows is a section of rubber tubing that connects the mass air flow meter to the throttle body. The stock one has accordion like ribs in it that hinders smooth air flow.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Mustangs:

Pros:
- are "nicer" cars (more comfortable, easier to get in/out of, etc...)
- have true duels from the factory (and can buy even better true duels to bolt up)
- have a stronger rear end (8.8 gear)

Cons:
- don't have any CIs (why they don't make HP without FI)
- the suspention SUCK!!!!! (McPherson strut front.....poor excuse for a 4 link in the rear) They don't handle as well and they can't hook as well
- are a box (ugly) without lots of body mods
- shifter is too close to the dash (hit knuckles)
- use a prop stick for the hood (gheto....)

F-bodies:

Pros:
- look better (smoother lines...flow better)
- more CIs (actually make HP from the factory)
- handle and hook up really good with minor mods
- 6 speed (can use high ratio gear and still get good gas milage)
- aluminum block and heads
- lighter weight (hard top)

Cons:
- exhaust sucks (y-pipe.....)
- 10 bolt rear end (don't like slicks)
- not the most comforable cars
- LS1s are EXSPENSIVE to mod compared to the 5.0

to make it simple....

Mustangs = "good" car to just drive...don't care about real performance (daily driver, girls, men, etc...)

F-bodies = not the best daily driver but have LOTS of performance potential
Old 07-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Mustangs = "good" car to just drive...don't care about real performance (daily driver, girls, men, etc...)
Old 07-06-2003, 05:44 PM
10 Second Club

Im with Buckwheat, FORDS SUCK. Sorry Ive been raised this way. BTW seen a heads and cams 2001 mustang dyno 286rwhp. No thanks, Jason
Old 07-06-2003, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

BTW seen a heads and cams 2001 mustang dyno 286rwhp. No thanks, Jason

now that is pathetic......
Old 07-06-2003, 07:31 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cons:
exhaust sucks (y-pipe.....)
- Yea it kind of does, but their is no real problem with it.
10 bolt rear end (don't like slicks)
- Ok, they do suck for our cars.
not the most comforable cars
- Very un-true. I think this is one of the most comfortable cars and I can get a lot of people to agree with me. And I even used to work at a luxury dealership. I could do a 5,000mile rd trip in a camaro no problem. Now mustang's I think are uncomfortable.
LS1s are EXSPENSIVE to mod compared to the 5.0
- Ok, compared to 5.0's yea. But look how long those have been available .

Mustangs = "good" car to just drive...don't care about real performance
- I've seen many fast mustang's, and I know a lot of people that mod them pretty seriously. I think the amount of people who really mod their mustang of f-body for performance is pretty equal. All the V6's are usually much for the wannabe's (even tho an old friend had a 12sec 3800II V6 camaro without a blower or turbo)

- Once again, I think the F-body is a great comfort and daily driver car (Even tho I'd rather keep it as a clean weekend car and let a cheepo car get beat up in parkin lots). I'm running mid, close to low 12's and drive my car everyday.

Old 07-06-2003, 08:07 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Im with Buckwheat, FORDS SUCK. Sorry Ive been raised this way. BTW seen a heads and cams 2001 mustang dyno 286rwhp. No thanks, Jason
LOL nICe!
Old 07-06-2003, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for clearing that up for me...

I have a "daily driver" that my wife/girl would love to whip your *** in if you lived here. To bad though........

...but since you don't then this is meaningless.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

mach1's are going 13.2-13.0 stock, sounds like what the ls1 goes, for around the same price.

Stang pros: looks better, (at least its not a giant egg), better rear end, can swap the 99+ 4.6 heads and cam's for a little more power out of the 96-98's. the 5.0 is easier to mod and can move a car with little power. Better exhuast and stereo and the interior is comfy. The new cobra's ride on IRS, and get 1.8 60' on stock f1's.

cons: 5 speed tranny's suck, if you drive in OD it will suck gas worse then it already does. The 5.0's dont lay down **** for power. (but the new cobra's will give z06's a run for their money.) The cobra IRS doesn't like slicks + hard launches.

Camaro pros: 6 speeds wont **** out on em. more power and go faster stock vs stock (vs the GT). Goos gas mileage (but when you want fast, gas mileage shouldn't be a concern)

cons: rear's suck, the auto's dont take abuse very well, the stereo's dont match, cant keep up with a cobra.. cost a lot more to begin with. Interior looks cheap.

Just a short list i could think of.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

With all the little things aside, this is probably what it will come down to. The Mustang is the more comfortable daily driver, but The F-body is the more pure performance car. It all depends on what your looking for in a car.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for clearing that up for me...

I have a "daily driver" that my wife/girl would love to whip your *** in if you lived here. To bad though........

...but since you don't then this is meaningless.
nothing personal .....your car may be fast....(what have your done to it....whats the hp and weight of it.... .....I know your thing says "one more cube than most of you and gas".....so I'm guessing you have a 351 Widsor with Nitrous...) .......... there are a really fast mustangs out there......

looking at out of the showroom....what do you get for your money.....the mustang is more of a ride around car than the f-body..... (250HP vs. 315HP)

- Once again, I think the F-body is a great comfort and daily driver car (Even tho I'd rather keep it as a clean weekend car and let a cheepo car get beat up in parkin lots). I'm running mid, close to low 12's and drive my car everyday.
I drive my car every day and while its EXTREAMLY fun and I can't wait to go on the next trip to the store, even when it was stock it was not as comfortable to ride in as the mustangs (I test drove both before I baught my car).....

the mustang your actually sitting up on a seat with your legs down like being in a chair......

the f-body your sitting on the floor with your legs out in front of you........

I like the "feel" of the f-body better when I'm out having fun but for DRIVING somewhere.....the mustang would be nicer....

since I was questioned on my "mustangs are good for men...."

here...I didn't write this.....the men did...:

http://channels.gay.com/living/auto/...tml?sernum=499

if you don't feel like reading it....I'll give you the first part that sums it all up.......

There's a certain charm about the Ford Mustang that makes it as suitable for gay men and women as the Mazda Miata, though the 'Stang's brand of charm is rather different. It's on the opposite end of the macho scale -- even more so in the butch Mach 1 and SVT Cobra arrays.
thats right.....the Mach 1 and Cobra only make it more fitting for men......... :p

now....I'm sure there are going to be 500 mustang guys going "WTF!!!! blah blah blah...." but hey.....don't scream at me....its the men you need to work on......

(seriously....no hard feelings....just screwing with ya... )
Old 07-06-2003, 09:45 PM
Banned

I think TIT BAR {hyde Jr} is trying to say he has a 347. From what I have heard about his pony puts out some good numbers and can smoke quite a few of our cars. I like the old fox body better than the new ones. I still wouldnt mind having a 5.0 lx to mod. You can make them fairly quick fairly cheap.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

I think TIT BAR {hyde Jr} is trying to say he has a 347. From what I have heard about his pony puts out some good numbers and can smoke quite a few of our cars. I like the old fox body better than the new ones. I still wouldnt mind having a 5.0 lx to mod. You can make them fairly quick fairly cheap.

ok.....a guy I know (kind of friends with) was going to do a 347 but ended up only going to the 327.....

its very possible that it could smoke me (if its set up right)....I don't BS myself thinking my car is the fastest thing out there......(too bad its not though..... ) and I have seen some really cool mustangs that I have said "wow....I would like to have that guys car..." (but not "brand new", 70s, or 80s....).....94/95 (last 5.0s) and mostly 64 1/2 to 68 mustangs (really those are the best...... ....I will own one some day.....)
Old 07-06-2003, 10:06 PM
Banned

Yeah the old ones are sweet as well. I worked with a guy that had 1 big old chicken houses full of 69 to 72 swb chevy truck, a couple of 66 big block elcaminos, 55 and a 57 chevy 2 door, and a { not sure on the year} 68 shelby cobra vert with 4 speed. All of these cars and trucks are just rotting away. I got him to sell me one truck a year ago and is still sitting in the middle of the house. It is a 70 swb with all the body work done. It is the only ride out there with a tarp on it. Sorry I just thought I would post that

Quick Reply: pros and cons of mustangs and camaros