Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ZO6 killed by ZO6

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZO6 killed by ZO6

I had met up with some buddies. One of my friends has a ZO6 with headers and a cam and, while we have played a little here and there, we have never had a good straight up run. On the way home from lunch, we end up at a light and right before we can come to a complete stop, it goes green. He jumps and I go. My nose was at his door due to his jump and it never changed thru the top of third. I thought....."veeeerrrrrryyyyyy interesting since I am basically stock. He did have a full tank of gas and a 200lb passenger. We get to our destination and begin to leave. I said I will follow him out there is a good road around the corner so we can get a good clean straight up race. Light goes green. His launch is better(he has new 315s) and his car is loud as hell so I have a hard time hearing my car(excuses, excuses....I should have rolled up my window....his car is probably the best sounding V8 on this planet....FLP headers+x-pipe+B&B PRTs=no sweeter sound this side of a Ferarri V12). He steadily pulled away. He had about a 1.5 to 2 car advantage at the top of third(100mph) where we shut down. I said, "That's more like it." We ran from a 30mph roll and he slowly pulled away...not quite as quickly as he did on the dead dig.
Moral of the story....a 200lb passenger DOES make a difference as does a full tank.
2nd moral....a loud car is an advantage if it prevents the opponent from hearing his.

Sidenote: Exhaust adds no horsepower on a ZO6(stock titanium flows very well and is 15lbs lighter than competitors)). I have a very hard time not buying the PRTs because they sound absolutely wicked.

Sorry for the length,
John
Old 07-20-2003, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: ZO6 killed by ZO6

Sidenote: Exhaust adds no horsepower on a ZO6(stock titanium flows very well and is 15lbs lighter than competitors)).

im going to have to disagree with you there. I witnessed a '03 Zo6 gain 9 rwhp with borla stingers

sweet run
Old 07-20-2003, 12:33 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could he possibly mean the weight difference cancels out the power?
Old 07-20-2003, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Could he possibly mean the weight difference cancels out the power?
You could look at it that way but that is not what I was getting at. Juice is right. The Stingers have shown some gain on the Dyno.....Stingers and GHL is the only ones I have seen gain anything(very similar in design and sound). But the sound just doesn't grab me. Don't get me wrong, they do sound good but not enough to make me go from stock Ti. And You could also argue Phantom's point. Power on the Dyno cancelled by added weight.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:50 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either way, sounds like you had fun.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:00 PM
8 Second Club

John if you do end up getting exhaust get a set up like this.

Breathless 1 7/8" Stepped Longtubes
X-Pipe
B&B PRTs
*Keep your cats unless you dont mind the smell.

We use that at G-Force and on the shop Z06 it sounds wicked, but he has the Corsa Ti Race Exhaust with no cats. But the power gains with the 1 7/8" headers and tuning is awesome.

Good runs. Did you make it out on the cruise last night?
Old 07-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Launching!

G-Forces zo6 Does sound good!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:09 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John if you do end up getting exhaust get a set up like this.

Breathless 1 7/8" Stepped Longtubes
X-Pipe
B&B PRTs
*Keep your cats unless you dont mind the smell.

We use that at G-Force and on the shop Z06 it sounds wicked, but he has the Corsa Ti Race Exhaust with no cats. But the power gains with the 1 7/8" headers and tuning is awesome.

Good runs. Did you make it out on the cruise last night?

Breathless tuned my car. They're just north of Miami. Great tuners.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*Keep your cats unless you dont mind the smell
Maybe it's just me, but I love the smell of un-catalyzed exhaust. I dunno what it is, it isn't a good smell, but it just reminds me of old muscle cars, I guess.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Chris, I was out there at the cruise and talked with you....it was a group discussion so I may have blended in. Your little freshy definitely stood out, though. She is a little hottie. Anyway, I am looking for a setup similar to what FLP has....all bolton with ORP and Hiflo Cats...no cutting required and easy to go back and forth to cats and ORP. They have been having some problems(broken flanges) lately so I am hesitant. LGM and now TPIS has some nice set ups but TPIS has no off road set up and LGM has no street setup. ANyway, I will PM you in regard to what G-force has going on.

John

Old 07-24-2003, 08:05 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Open exhaust, or some of the muffler out there have been worth 7-10HP over the stock Ti exhaust. Weight is ~8 lbs per HP. So, a few more gallons of gas and a heavy exhuast can make a difference, plus the variance between cars....

Good race though.