Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02 Z28 vs 91 Vette vs 02 WRX?!?

Old 04-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Z28 vs 91 Vette vs 02 WRX?!?

So when i went home this past weekend (Washington DC) my best friend wanted to race my car pretty badly. She had been talking crap all of the week before and even though i knew who was going to win this round i talked to her like she had a chance. She has a 91 vette (TPI w/ 700R4) with a cold air intake the fits a lt5. I've got an 02 (ls1 w/ 4L60e) with a catback, air filter, maf, and tuned.

So it went down on great seneca hwy, for those who know the area, and we did it twice from a 20 roll and then a 40 roll. Both times it was a total KO. But i know someday after college she will mod it up and maybe she will be on here telling her victory story. I have to give props to her because that vette is one of the nicest ones ive ever seen. Now its at this point the the real race begins against her bf WRX.

Ok he's got an 02 sub-e with a bigger turbo, piping, injectors, downpipe, borla cat-back, and maybe a couple of other things. So we did it from a 40 roll and we were both in second. On three we went on his horn count and let me tell you it was dead even. It wasnt like we were going back and forth noses i mean we were dead locked. Ive wanted to race one of those all wheel drive cars whether its a wrx, sti, or evo but i just wanted to know where i stood against them. The best part of the story is the guy is a muscle guy at heart and cant wait to get ride of the sub-e and he plans on a z06 or ls2 gto.

I really need to go to National Trails (cbus, oh) to get a real time slip but ill prob put the lth and y pipe and get rid of the sec air pump and then have it tuned again then it will be ready for the track.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chevy8806
Ive wanted to race one of those all wheel drive cars whether its a wrx, sti, or evo but i just wanted to know where i stood against them.
You went from a 40 mph roll eh? Should have went from a dig if you really want to know where you stand against those AWD cars.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Banned

If you were dead even from a roll, in the 1/4 he would have won. But let me tell you driving a subie isnt the same as a f-body. I recently got a legacy GT and had to sell my T/A for personaly reasons, now im looking to sell the legacy and get another T/A lol
Old 04-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OSXer
You went from a 40 mph roll eh? Should have went from a dig if you really want to know where you stand against those AWD cars.
He would have still won.

WRX's glass tranny would have exploded all over the road.

Z wins by default.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

now that actually is fact, I have seen WRX trannys blow on the 3rd 5000rpms launch from the factory on cars with less than 10kmiles
Old 04-29-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

. She has a 91 vette (TPI w/ 700R4) with a cold air intake the fits a lt5. I've got an 02 (ls1 w/ 4L60e) with a catback, air filter, maf, and tuned.we did it twice from a 20 roll and then a 40 roll. Both times it was a total KO.
The Vette would have put up much more of a fight from a dig, might have even taken you from stoplight to stoplight....I could beat LS1 Vettes in my lightly modded 90 L98 in a short stoplight.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Banned

I have taken alot of ls1 vettes with my 3 bolt on ls1 T/A.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

I'll tell you what i got a chance to drive that vette and i would have to sell that trans shifts right on a point when you go through the gears. I had to re-tune the trans shifts before getting that kind of shifting from my 4l60
Old 04-30-2008, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

caught an evo leaving the local oil change place had exhaust and BOV, as far as could tell i was in 1st he punched it and i proceded to grab 2nd and let off top of second and he was about 5 cars back. he turned at the light.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

good kill thow , put LT's, ory, shift kit,4:10's he'll drop like a bad habbit
Old 05-04-2008, 09:40 AM
acd

I had a similar WRX: upgraded turbo, turbo back exhaust, injectors, pump, intercooler, etc at 20psi. The turbo was from a JDM STi. It was dyno tuned to 271awhp, and ran mid 12s, but just didn't feel fast (and really wasn't on the highway). There wasn't enough area under the curve.

The trannys really are the weakpoints though, a couple of hard launches and you're done if you don't upgrade something. Thats why I sold it: it was either put a bunch of money into it so I could race from a stop (and still have a slow hwy car), or not put a bunch of money into it and not run from a stop.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

So when i went home this past weekend (Washington DC) my best friend wanted to race my car pretty badly. She had been talking crap all of the week before and even though i knew who was going to win this round i talked to her like she had a chance. She has a 91 vette (TPI w/ 700R4) with a cold air intake the fits a lt5. I've got an 02 (ls1 w/ 4L60e) with a catback, air filter, maf, and tuned.

So it went down on great seneca hwy, for those who know the area, and we did it twice from a 20 roll and then a 40 roll. Both times it was a total KO. But i know someday after college she will mod it up and maybe she will be on here telling her victory story. I have to give props to her because that vette is one of the nicest ones ive ever seen. Now its at this point the the real race begins against her bf WRX.

Ok he's got an 02 sub-e with a bigger turbo, piping, injectors, downpipe, borla cat-back, and maybe a couple of other things. So we did it from a 40 roll and we were both in second. On three we went on his horn count and let me tell you it was dead even. It wasnt like we were going back and forth noses i mean we were dead locked. Ive wanted to race one of those all wheel drive cars whether its a wrx, sti, or evo but i just wanted to know where i stood against them. The best part of the story is the guy is a muscle guy at heart and cant wait to get ride of the sub-e and he plans on a z06 or ls2 gto.

I really need to go to National Trails (cbus, oh) to get a real time slip but ill prob put the lth and y pipe and get rid of the sec air pump and then have it tuned again then it will be ready for the track.
good runs
Originally Posted by Black98T/A
The Vette would have put up much more of a fight from a dig, might have even taken you from stoplight to stoplight....I could beat LS1 Vettes in my lightly modded 90 L98 in a short stoplight.
thats true i have a friend in ada and he has all the bolt on and a stall and he can stall up on the street and leave hard every time leaving the ls1's fighting for traction and playing catch up.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

great seneca you say haha ive raced many a times there, kinda hot spot for cops but for the most part your safe. Where around there are you from?

Search this Thread