Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Three way highway race- Firebird vs Camaro vs Mustang!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Three way highway race- Firebird vs Camaro vs Mustang!

What's up guys! Great stories here...

I was in Boonton, about 10-15 miles down rt 287 from where I live in New Jersey... we were there chillin at a party until it got picked by the PO-PO, and we all bounced pretty quick. It was me in my LT1, my friend in his 98 Stang GT (bone stock) and my other friend in his 3800 Firebird...

So we get on 287, and the other two started ripping it right away. I hung back and watch them for a while, doing about 80-85. After my friend with his Stang put away the v6 Firebird, I decided to lay the F-Body smack down. I hit it in 3rd and started gaining on the Stang right away. After about 130-135, I passed him and kept putting lengths on him. I glanced down at the speedo- 150! Holy ****... After this we slowed down and cruised back to Riverdale on the Rt 23 exit...

By now it was about 2AM, and all three of us pulled up to a red ligth right by DeMassi GM dealership (for you locals), pointed towards Pequannock on a BIIIIIG straightaway. It was SO SICK, three American cars just sitting there revving at each other. As the light changed, all three of us a launched. The 3800 kept with my friend's Stang pretty good, but I put 3 or 4 lengths on the Stang right outta the hole... after the 1/8th mile, it was over, and I was pretty far out ahead. For the rest of the trip we just cruised down 23 and ended up chillin at Quick Chek in Pequannock. We were lookin at the new Motor Trend (V8 Thunder- hell yeah baby!), when we noticed thick steam/smoke/whatever coming out from the Firebird's hood. Upon further inspection, it was not the motor, but the trans. There was trans fluid leaking, and my friend informed us that he's about to blow his tranny, it's been slipping terribly, lol. He's taking out a loan for an LS1 though, and you'll see him on this forum guaranteed if he gets one.

Well, it was kinda long, but it was such a cool night, last night. Just wanted to tell everybody about it... Peace guys!
Old 08-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Three way highway race- Firebird vs Camaro vs Mustang!

great runs man...v6 firebird hangin with a gt mustang i love it
Old 08-14-2003, 05:48 PM
STF Veteran

sounds like fun suxs for your friend tho
Old 08-14-2003, 06:04 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good runs.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Nice kills
Old 08-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Teching In

It was me in my LT1, my friend in his 98 Stang GT (bone stock) and my other friend in his 3800 Firebird...
That was me in the 3800 bird, I would've kept up with the Stang even more if third gear didn't throw my rpms from about 3k to 6k redline in probably no less than a quarter of a second (not too good). I let off the throttle and drove like normal to a nearby QuickChek we were all gonna meet at. We stopped there and my friend with the stang noticed the steam coming out of my hood.

He looked under and traced the overheating all the way down to the trans, which was leaking fluid. The car's beat sixbanger peice anyway, I'm looking at a black lt1 camaro and an ls1 trans am...i should've bought a z, trans, or form in the first place. Then maybe I'd really actually be burning rice... later
Old 08-14-2003, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Great kills man.

Hey Burning Rice, jw but did your Firebird have any mods done to it or not? Because they said the GT was bone stock and you kept up with him pretty well but they didn't say if your car was stock or not.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

I doubt the firebird guy kept up with the stang but nice runs. Later playa's.
The Firebird very well could have kept up with the Mustang, stock or not. Even stock they have 200hp and 225 ft lbs and stock GT's from 94 to 98 only had 215hp and 285 ft lbs. Not much greater than a 3800 but Ford must be doin something right since the Mustang out lived the Camaro and T/A.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

The bird was bone stock, and through about a 1/4 mile the stang only put about 2 or 3 cars on it. THe bird also had a slipping trans. While the Stang is a nice car, it's 8 cylinder motor just didn't have enough power to get by until 99.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

[quote]
Ford must be doin something right since the Mustang out lived the Camaro and T/A.
Stangs are top of line in Ford sports cars. Z's are not 'Vet are. They phased them out for pure buraucracy crap.
The market segment targeted for the F-bodies could not really afford such a fine car they had become. So they decided to stick with the Vette and offer things like GP's. Some day they will realise their mistake and hopefully bring them back (as they did with '77 Z's).
This will become more ovious to them (GM) as the 2005 Stang comes out and they loose a bigger market segment.
Will I ever switch to FORD?? NOOO WAAAAY JOOOSE!, I'll just have to save for a new 'VETTE.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Burning Rice, the trans problem is a blessing in disguise - you're gonna love whatever f-body you purchase. My suggestion though is ... buy one with little to no mods, and mod it yourself. My $.02 Good luck to you.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I stuck that pig you call mom.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry camaro kid, Great kills!!!