Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ZO6 and 03 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZO6 and 03 Cobra

I had seen this car up ahead in traffic. I had paced him for awhile and past my exit and all of that. It was a White 03 Cobra. We finally get some open road. I get along side, give him a nod and downshift into 3rd at 70mph. I hear him do the same. He hits it first and puts about a half car on me. He then stretches it a little more...maybe 3/4 of a car. I stop his pull and it is time for 4th and....I whiff . Missed fourth. So he shut down thinking I did the same. Damn, I wish we could have kept that at least thru fourth gear. We roll down our windows and talk. After he tried to tell me he was stock, he said he had exhaust, chip, and CAI. He said he hadn't dynoed in the current setup but should be good for about 420-430rwhp. Sounds about right to me. I also smelled the smell of no cats while pacing him. He didn't say though. Anyway, I told him I want more. We are doing about 35mph at this point. I am in second. I hear him hit it with the requisite whine of the supercharger. I hit it and pull him hard. I also hear him downshift as I am leaving him. Sounded like he had chosen the wrong gear. I had a good 3-4 cars on him and he knew he wasn't going to make it up so he gave up. Oh well. The first run was probably a little cleaner and more indicative of each cars' potential. Neither was really clean but it was finally nice to get one to run. The only other one I ran was at the track. I have run into about 4 on the street and none of them had any game. Sounds like them damn Vette owners. Sorry about the length and thanks for reading.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: ZO6 and 03 Cobra

Good Kill.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's too bad you guys didn't get a few clean runs in. At least you got to see the what the Cobra can do. You need to race one with some pulley work done. They are pretty badass. Even though some may be faster than a Z06, they still fail in comparison. Z06's are wicked.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

It's too bad you guys didn't get a few clean runs in. At least you got to see the what the Cobra can do. You need to race one with some pulley work done. They are pretty badass. Even though some may be faster than a Z06, they still fail in comparison. Z06's are wicked.
Thanks, Unit. And I think ".....fail in comparison..." is a bit too harsh. The Cobras are pretty damn badass. I am glad the Cobras are out there. With the death of the F-body there has to be another muscle car out there to keep everything in check. In any event, MTI is having a little sale on cams and I think this little encounter has finally pushed me over the edge. Stay tuned....
Old 08-18-2003, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good story. Too bad you both didn't get a good run. Good luck with the cam.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

The stang lacks the class,personality and finesse of the Z06.
Stang's are unfortunately the only survivors of the Camaro/Firebird/Baracuda/Challenger/Chevelle etc... Era.
Corvettes are in a league of their own.
With the introduction of the 03/04 Cobras, FORD is attempting to make the jump upward to 'Vette status, however I guess we all have to wait for the Detroit Motor show to see what the future brings us.
Going back to a different thread where I was convinced by multiple Z06 owners of the mid to high 11 second potential of their cars in stock form, 03 Cobra's do not compare.
Nice runs man, i'm sure you will get the oportunity one day to fully exploit the delight of a Cobra kill.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In any event, MTI is having a little sale on cams and I think this little encounter has finally pushed me over the edge. Stay tuned....
MTI on a Z06... Your car is gonna be NUUUTS! Good kill, good luck!
Old 08-19-2003, 08:22 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad about the shifting issues, but nice runs anyways. Great to have a guage of what the two cars involved can do.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:19 AM
Banned

Hmm I paced a cobra last night on 290, and he just wouldn't play, sounded bad *** to. I was speeding up a little to 70 and slowing down to like 60 and he just kept going and got in the other lane to exit after about 10 miles of this. I want to play with a cobra just havent found one that wants to play with my stock Z06
JET
Old 08-19-2003, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the props guys. And, Jet, that has been my experience as well. Sharky, I honestly don't think the Cobra was ever intended to compete straight up with the Vette. It was aimed squarely at the F-body. Only problem is that the F-body went away and so people try to compare it with the Vette. The Cobra was trying to hit a particular price point to keep it in competition with the F-body. At that pricepoint, they cannot compete with the Vette. A'ight, enough marketing 101. I can't wait for the next itereation of the Vette. And then we have to wait another complete year for the ZO6 version of it. And I surely hope GM has something up its sleeve in the form of an F-body. What scares me is that with all the crack downs on street racing across the country and all the media coverage, I have this nightmare that the government is gonna step in and try to halt these horsepower wars. I sure hope not. That would suck.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I surely hope GM has something up its sleeve in the form of an F-body.
Don't we all! This corporate crap ia nightmare, but there is hope. The same **** happened when Nissan deleted the Z in the '90's, only to be brought back with Ghosn as CEO.
What scares me is that with all the crack downs on street racing across the country and all the media coverage, I have this nightmare that the government is gonna step in and try to halt these horsepower wars. I sure hope not. That would suck.
Man, this is scary, but I have the same vision. However the nice thing is, this is America and if we care too, we too can lobby, politicaly manipulate and of course VOTE, to protect our rights
In the meanwhile, I'll be looking for some Cobras too