Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99-04 GT vs. Me

Old 08-03-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99-04 GT vs. Me

Me- 99 Trans Am...auto, whisper lid, ported TB, no muffler...full weight and a passenger

John- 99-04 Mustang GT...auto, intake, exhaust, fuel rails, injectors, 93 octane tune, spark plugs, carbon fiber hood, fiberglass front end(some goofy body kit), no spare or jack, also had one passenger

This is a street everyone races on, its marked exactly 1/4 mile down the road.

1st race, light changed too fast, i hit it, he was asleep at the light. I spun through first, lit up second. He didn't really spin and got to my door as i was spinning. However, as soon as i hooked i pulled away. I had about 2.5 cars by the 1/4 mile marker.

2nd race. We stalled them up at the light. He hooked i spun first and chirped second again. By the time i hooked, he was a half car ahead. I reeled him in and passed him. By the time i hit the marker to end the race, I got him by a half car.

I'm glad i won both, but something doesn't add up. I've raced bolt-on autos before and have beaten them by worse. In that second race, once i got that half car, it stayed that way. Something makes me wonder if he was spraying a small shot because in the first race, once i pulled away, i PULLED away. I understand my traction issues allowed to keep up, but in that second race once i stopped spinning, i pulled that half car, and it stayed that way instead of me pulling. The upgraded rails and other fuel system parts make me wonder if he's spray a small shot, or he's lying and has gears or other mods. car was loud, but typical mustang loud...Discuss.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

Traction issues are killin' you, but the fuel upgrades have me wondering too. Why put money there when the car's damn near stock?

He's hanging awful well with that slushbox in the tunnel.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

doesn't make sense to me either why he would have injectors and fuels with just intake and exhaust, someone enlighten me, is that necessary?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:05 AM
12 Second Club

ya had to be traction issues. he could of been spraying a little shot
ive raced a bulliet wit bolt on's and it was a easy win
Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something wrong there. A stock auto 99-04 puts like 180 to the wheels. I cant see him putting down more than 210 with just those mods. Who knows. How does everyone have a hard time hooking on the street? I seriously never had a problem even when I put my 3500 stall in. Then again I had sportlines on the car then, maybe it was all squat and no spin?
Old 08-04-2008, 02:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Something wrong there. A stock auto 99-04 puts like 180 to the wheels. I cant see him putting down more than 210 with just those mods. Who knows. How does everyone have a hard time hooking on the street? I seriously never had a problem even when I put my 3500 stall in. Then again I had sportlines on the car then, maybe it was all squat and no spin?

180....?

I'd give even a weaker automatic PI Mustang atleast 205. Hell, my friends '96 GT made 238rwhp with a PI swap, intake, and a full exhaust through an AODE.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of the ones I have seen were in the 180s range for an automatic, but they were both higher mileage too. Maybe a low mile motor would be around 210 or so? Point being, with just what was listed OP should have walked away pretty easy.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

sounds like he may have been spraying, how much?? Who knows.....BUt with the Injectors and upgraded fuel system, he may simply be getting ready for a heads and cam upgrade which would make a little sense for having that stuff.......

Again, who knows unless you ask......

Good kills though.....
Old 08-04-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either way, nice kills.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like he has more mods than he's letting on.... When my wife owned a 04GT Auto I got crushed racing a 98 Trans Am. After getting the hit and jumping out about 1.5 cars he blew by me and won by 3+ cars. He wasn't stock but his mods were minimal. The GT probably had gears (4.10's). Good kill... and race him again and get a vid!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
Me- 99 Trans Am...auto, whisper lid, ported TB, no muffler...full weight and a passenger

John- 99-04 Mustang GT...auto, intake, exhaust, fuel rails, injectors, 93 octane tune, spark plugs, carbon fiber hood, fiberglass front end(some goofy body kit), no spare or jack, also had one passenger

This is a street everyone races on, its marked exactly 1/4 mile down the road.

1st race, light changed too fast, i hit it, he was asleep at the light. I spun through first, lit up second. He didn't really spin and got to my door as i was spinning. However, as soon as i hooked i pulled away. I had about 2.5 cars by the 1/4 mile marker.

2nd race. We stalled them up at the light. He hooked i spun first and chirped second again. By the time i hooked, he was a half car ahead. I reeled him in and passed him. By the time i hit the marker to end the race, I got him by a half car.

I'm glad i won both, but something doesn't add up. I've raced bolt-on autos before and have beaten them by worse. In that second race, once i got that half car, it stayed that way. Something makes me wonder if he was spraying a small shot because in the first race, once i pulled away, i PULLED away. I understand my traction issues allowed to keep up, but in that second race once i stopped spinning, i pulled that half car, and it stayed that way instead of me pulling. The upgraded rails and other fuel system parts make me wonder if he's spray a small shot, or he's lying and has gears or other mods. car was loud, but typical mustang loud...Discuss.
Nice kills......If he hung that close, he had to have AT LEAST a 50 shot....probably 75 shot. An Auto New edge with 3.27 gears hanging within half a car?
Originally Posted by RaggedRides
180....?

I'd give even a weaker automatic PI Mustang atleast 205. Hell, my friends '96 GT made 238rwhp with a PI swap, intake, and a full exhaust through an AODE.
Yeah....180 is a nono. 210-225 for an A4

Originally Posted by 00TAProject
sounds like he may have been spraying, how much?? Who knows.....BUt with the Injectors and upgraded fuel system, he may simply be getting ready for a heads and cam upgrade which would make a little sense for having that stuff.......

Again, who knows unless you ask......

Good kills though.....
Actually, even with a bottle I dont' understand his Fuel upgrades. The stock inj.'s and fuel rails are fine for a 100 shot. Upgrading inj. and rails with do nothing for H/C's. Rails especially. Plugs I can see for the bottle. (colder plugs) 93 Octane tune?..WTF does that mean. That is so lame to hear. "I have a 93 octane tune"......great, wanna cookie? So your tuner advanced soem timing....yippee for you. The octane has nothing to do with tuning (except timing). Just say custom tune. labeling the tune with an octane rating does nothing but show your ignorance. (my fav. word, I know).

CF hood?..R U serious? GUess i shouldn't be shocked given a Body kit. at CF hood and added weight of a body kit.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ponygt65
93 Octane tune?..WTF does that mean. That is so lame to hear. "I have a 93 octane tune"......great, wanna cookie? So your tuner advanced soem timing....yippee for you.
LOL! Sounds like that's worth a couple hundred bucks to me.

I had to put premium in mine on a stock tune anyway. After owning a lot of turbo cars, I figured a plain ol' N/A V8 would allow less reliability issues and I could buy the cheap stuff. Wrong. You could hear the knocking. My buddies "bolt-on" GT (always on premium)would pull me by about a car everytime if I was on Regular- with the good stuff we were even. After that it used a steady diet of Premium.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

yea, when i raced my other friends I/E auto GT (2000)...i gave him the hit off the light, and still had 4 cars by 95...I'm also on bald *** yokohama tires...i have a TCI 3500 stall in the mail, and Nitto's are next (car is my DD)...
Old 08-04-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

one of my local friends has seen this car at some meets...he's supposed to let me know if its spraying because he knows more about the car than I do. Also, I'm pretty sure the car was in an accident, dents all over, and the whole front end, including the fenders are now fiberglass (i think, they felt like plastic to the touch, and bent a lil bit)...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
180? wow your retarded
Old 08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by svodave
LOL! Sounds like that's worth a couple hundred bucks to me.

I had to put premium in mine on a stock tune anyway. After owning a lot of turbo cars, I figured a plain ol' N/A V8 would allow less reliability issues and I could buy the cheap stuff. Wrong. You could hear the knocking. My buddies "bolt-on" GT (always on premium)would pull me by about a car everytime if I was on Regular- with the good stuff we were even. After that it used a steady diet of Premium.
That's odd on a stock tune. I wonder if the factory tune was 'funny' in the way of timing. If the timing has been advanced and you put the 87 in, then the KS would kick in, pull timing and kill power.

Hmm? LOL@ couple hundred bucks.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=ponygt65;9870257]
That's odd on a stock tune. I wonder if the factory tune was 'funny' in the way of timing. If the timing has been advanced and you put the 87 in, then the KS would kick in, pull timing and kill power.
Well it certainly did kill power that's fo sho.

Hmm? LOL@ couple hundred bucks.
Too much? Not enough? I dunno. I got the Z tuned for $250- nothing exotic like a "93 octane tune" but still........
Old 08-05-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by svodave
Well it certainly did kill power that's fo sho.

Too much? Not enough? I dunno. I got the Z tuned for $250- nothing exotic like a "93 octane tune" but still........
I dont' doubt it...KS's probably kicked it and yanked an assload of timing.

at 'exotic 93 tune'. LOL
Old 08-05-2008, 05:47 PM
***Repost Police***

My Mustang was untuned and thus ran lean (especially in the summer) which would of course cause misfires bad enough where I would get a CEL running on 87. So I used premium for the past year and a half. Gotta love cheap-*** Ford not putting a knock sensor in the GTs...
Old 08-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
My Mustang was untuned and thus ran lean (especially in the summer) which would of course cause misfires bad enough where I would get a CEL running on 87. So I used premium for the past year and a half. Gotta love cheap-*** Ford not putting a knock sensor in the GTs...
A-ha! No knock sensor you say? Hmmm, there you have it I guess.

Well the ones Ford put in the SVOs were so damn conservative we just unplugged them.

Search this Thread